Ant's Voodoo Hooligan, F-101B North Dakota ANG

Not much progress over the last couple of days, although I did manage to get the airbrush set up out in the garden a couple of evenings ago, and got the Interior Green painted in the undercarriage bays, and got a coat of Dk Gull Grey on the cockpit and ejector seat frames, I've actually used Xtracrylix after finding I had some in stock. 

No pictures as yet, I'll be doing some detail painting on the cockpit (the bit I hate) and the exhaust cans over the weekend and will be joining the fuselage halves once thats done and will take some pics then.

• Like 1

And then just when I wasn't paying attention, this fell into my shopping basket @ Hannants, just don't know how it happened, going to have to get ast least one more kit now, those M🌲INEiacs markings are really growing on me.

20220617_154034

20220617_154042

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AntPhillips said:

And then just when I wasn't paying attention, this fell into my shopping basket @ Hannants, just don't know how it happened,

seems like you and i have the same faulty browser. thIs happens all the time to me too.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, AntPhillips said:

And then just when I wasn't paying attention, this fell into my shopping basket @ Hannants, just don't know how it happened, going to have to get ast least one more kit now, those M🌲INEiacs markings are really growing on me.

20220617_154034

20220617_154042

Maine, Maine, Maine :)

• Haha 1

Also, that Texas ANG box art is one of my favorites from Monogram's catalog. I had that boxing in the summer before 7th grade, and I still remember cutting off the sides and taping it to my bedroom wall. 

The model didn't turn out too well, if memory serves. But yeah. 

Ah, nostalgia. Now I got to go hunt this down on ebay :D

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

A quick catch up of where I'm at right now, here's an overview:

2022-07-04_10-51-45

First coat of Tamiya Flat Red on flap areas, and undercarriage door interiors, the red was brush painted over Tamiya white primer, I will use the airbrush to put a second coat of Gloss Red over the top.

That's how I did the Xtracrylix Interior Green, brushed first coat and airbrush second coat and I'm pleased with the way that came out.

Now the bug-bear bit, I've painted the cockpit once but ended up stripping it as I wasn't happy with it, here's a few pics of the in progress redo, first a base coat of Tamiya Gloss Black from the spray can, I've dry brushed the instrument panel areas using Polished Aluminium, but I might need to go a bit starker, to show up the relief moulded by Monogram, so might try some white or very pale grey:

20220704_222543

Next step will be to mask the dials with either white glue or maskol, and apply the Dark Gull Grey panel colour, main cockpit tub already mask awaiting grey:

2022-07-04_11-13-01

And lastly a couple of shots of the upper and lower fuselage seams after sanding, I think they've cleaned up OK and I've not lost too much detail, a second coat of primer will reveal the truth, hopefully tomorrow evening:

20220704_223402 20220704_223413

I really can't wait to get the cockpit out of the way so I can start getting the airframe together.

• Like 7

Got another shot of primer on the fuselage this evening, needed to address some small still visible seams.

Also sprayed some gloss red on to the flaps, flap bays and undercarriage doors, I'm now ready to join the upper and lower wings and the cockpit got a blast of grey, but I got a bit of seepage under the masking tape onto the previously black painted console panels, I'm not too worried about it though will address it tomorrow evening.

Pics tomorrow.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't been neglecting this one, just been away on a short break, and realised I hadn't put any pics up of recent progress.

One of the things that Monogram missed, is that the vents on the aircraft flanks are actually different port and starboard, Monogram provide them both with a circular shape, whereas in reality the starboard one has a rectangular shape, after giving it a bit of thought I realised that if I filled the top and bottom of the starboard one, I could get the essence of a rectangular shape, and by lightly engraving 2 straight ends I got the illusion of a rectangular vent, heres a couple of pics to illustrate, firstly the as moulded port side circular vent:

20220722_190801

And now the modified starboard vent:

20220722_190732

and with a coat of primer:

20220722_190646

I've also tackled the fiddly masking of the nose pitot stripes, originally I intended to use a replacement Master pitot but to be honest the kit part doesn't look too bad once the seam is removed:

20220722_190625

The radome gloss black needs to be resprayed as I didnt prep the surface enough and got a bit of dust inclusions, its been polished out now but will need touching up, likewise the anti glare panel too, the infra red detector will also get a clear green final coat.

I've also masked off the canopy, and that should get its first layer of paint soon, I'm hoping to install the cockpit in the next day or so, and once that's in it should fairly fly together (excuse the pun) and I'll get the ADC grey on and decalling (my favourite part) will commence.

• Like 6

Summer and family life is making sure that progress on this one is pedestrian to say the least, but as we're away for a few days next week, I wanted to get some more done before we go away. 

So this morning whilst it was still relatively cool, I managed to get the next step done, only one step, but what a step.........wings are on:

20220814_135617 20220814_135634

Finally beginning to take shape, you will see that the cockpit is still not in, that's because I'm still not 100% happy with it, I'm going to give it one last go and then it's going in whether I'm happy with it or not. 

Luckily Monogram designed the kit so that the cockpit drops in after the fuselage is together but before the wings are on, I'm happy that i can get the cockpit, weapons bay and nose undercarriage bay in even with the wings in situ:

20220814_135649

Looking at the box of parts left to fit, they're rapidly depleting:

2022-08-14_05-21-03

Just a few more parts to finish prepainting, the engine nozzles, ejector seats, and that goddang cockpit and probably a wash in the undercarriage bays and on the undercarriage itself.

I haven't decided if the crew will be installed or not, if I do fit them I'll probably replace one with another left over from a Hasegawa Phantom, just to have some variation in pose. 

More updates once we get back from London next week.

• Like 4

One of the pleasures of this GB is seeing some of the older Monogram kits come together and I am enjoying this one especially thanks to you Ant. Also, always handy when the cockpit can be dropped in later in the build.

Ray

• 1 month later...

Sorry guys, this one is not going to make the finish line, progress has been negligible over the last few weeks, life has just got in the way, as it so often does.

I'll keep plodding away with it and will post it in RFI when it's finished.

• Sad 1

On 9/18/2022 at 11:31 AM, AntPhillips said:

Sorry guys, this one is not going to make the finish line, progress has been negligible over the last few weeks, life has just got in the way, as it so often does.

I'll keep plodding away with it and will post it in RFI when it's finished.

no stress ant. this happens. dont worry its all just for fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1