Ant's Voodoo Hooligan, F-101B North Dakota ANG

Good day chaps and chapesses, first day of the GB, so I thought I'd better get my marker down, firstly the ubiquitous box shot  the contents, aftermarket parts and decals. I've actually got 2 of Monogram's 1/48 One-Oh-Wonder kits, but will only be building 1 of them for this GB, if the build goes well I might slip in a second build, as yet I'm undecided what kit that will be but the chances are it will be another Monogram classic in the shape of a 1/48 Deuce as somehow I've seemed to collect a few of them over the years.

On to the pics:

20220604_142400

20220604_142412

20220604_142523

20220604_160836

I'm hoping to make a start this evening, progress pics to follow.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Super Ant. That finished 48 scale voodoo will look ace in the collection. Which caracel scheme will you opt for? I vote #3 :)

It's going to be option 4 the one with the red Happy Hooligans tail band, I have a soft spot for the Hooligans, not sure why but I have decals for them on a number of a/c they've flown over the years post F-101 namely F-102, F-4D & F-16 ADF.

After losing their Air Defence mission after the draw down of forces post Cold War, they have in recent years flown the USAF version of the Learjet the C-21A and even more recently the Predator drone.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

A wonderful choice, this is a great looking kit of a great looking aircraft.

The Hooligan's scheme is a classic Voodoo one and Caracal decals shouldn't give you any concerns.

🇺🇦

To be fair, the Voodoo wears most unit colours well, the Hooligans were a no brainer for me, but when I get around to building that second kit, I'm really torn about what markings to go for 🤔

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Texas ANG, or the all black RCAF EF-101 have always appealed.

🇺🇦

I do like the Texans scheme particularly with the William Tell artwork, but I'm also partial to the Niagra Falls and the Minnesota ANG schemes and whilst I'm not a fan of commemorative/special schemes the standard Canadian cheat line marking is right up there too.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AntPhillips said:

I do like the Texans scheme particularly with the William Tell artwork, but I'm also partial to the Niagra Falls and the Minnesota ANG schemes and whilst I'm not a fan of commemorative/special schemes the standard Canadian cheat line marking is right up there too.

All of those would be great choices Ant.👍

🇺🇦

12 hours ago, Jb65rams said:

Interestingly the parts breakdown looks very similar to the 1/72 version.

Funnily enough, when I was looking at your build of the 1/72 kit, I thought exactly the same thing.

Made some progress tonight, but no photos as yet, I'll take some tomorrow evening before I make more progress.

I bought this kit second hand and as I'm building it I did notice that the previous owner has removed the moulded on slime lights, probably to represent an earlier time scale a/c, to be fair they've done a good job of it as it's very well done and I didn't notice at first. 

My chosen subject is fitted with slime lights and at the moment I'm not sure whether to just represent them with decals or attempt to reinstate the relief with thin plasticard or a sliver of masking tape. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AntPhillips said:

not sure whether to just represent them with decals or attempt to reinstate the relief with thin plasticard or a sliver of masking tape. Any thoughts?

I would go with the decal option, a much quicker and simpler solution.

🇺🇦

• Thanks 1

Some simple steps taken so far, I'm going to be building the kit with airbrakes closed, they fit pretty well with just a small gap all round, due to the raised panel lines on the kit I want to avoid sanding that removes surface detail as best I can, so out came the Perfect Plastic Putty, left it 15 minutes or so then wiped it off with a damp cloth, result:

20220607_191900

Like wise with the forward fuselage strakes either side of the weapons tray:

20220607_191940

Next up the weapons tray itself, just a tiny bit of filler where the Genie side meets the Falcon side and around the plastic spigot on each end:

20220607_192140

Next up the missiles themselves, 2 Falcon and 2 Genie, there's a bit of a gap on the Falcons, I'll try the PPP on that, but failing that I might replace them with ones from the Meng US AAM set. I've yet to sort out the seam on the Genies too, but it's next on the list:

20220607_192249

The last pic is just to show the difference between the small intakes from the kit and those in thd Quick Boost set, a great improvement for not a lot of pennies:

20220607_192517

That's it for now, not got much done tonight, just prepping lots of parts for primer, I like to build up all the small sub assemblies in advance of getting the bigger pieces together so once the major parts are joined everything else follows quite quickly.

The weather forecast is promising for tomorrow evening so I'll hopefully be putting the first primer coats on then.

Thanks for looking in.

Ant

• Like 5

Hello Ant, I like the chosen livery very much. 
Perfect plastic putty, never heard of it. But sounds interesting to me!

The quickboost airscoop is a big improvement indeed. 

great work ant. gap filling: the perfect use for ppp.

i would never have considered buying AM vents and intakes but my i can see they are really going to give a quality look with their detail. very cool. 

Just another couple of small things done again this evening, first up I addressed the seams and small gaps around the tail fins of the Genie missiles:

2022-06-08_10-16-01

I thought I'd give the jet intakes a quick blast of primer, only to find out that I was out of Tamiya white fine surface primer, I've ordered some more but it wont be here until early next week, instead I gave it a quick flash over with Tamiya light grey fine surface primer, this exposed a couple of ejector pin marks that I thought I might get away with but that wasn't to be so I've given them a quick going over with a fine sanding stick and will finish them next week once the white primer arrives:

20220608_220936

I thought about part painting the ejector seats before joining the parts but after dry fitting the parts together I decided to join them and will paint after, the seat belt detail looks really good on such an old kit, Monogram really were leaders in cockpit detail it's a shame the belts are in identical poses but I'm not a stickler for that sort of detail, so will leave it. One of the head rests needed just a smidgin' of filler for a pin hole sink mark, the photo has also shown up a small ejector pin mark on the bottom front of both seats and a couple of small seams so I'll address those tomorrow:

20220608_221358

Thanks for looking in.

Ant

• Like 7

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Nice work Ant.

Those seats look just as good as some modern resin replacements don't they, Monogram really were way ahead of the game on some details weren't they.

🇺🇦

Yes, considering the age of the kit (1985) the level of detail in the cockpit and undercarriage bays is superb, just going to have to give it some serious thought when it comes to painting to bring out the detail.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AntPhillips said:

Yes, considering the age of the kit (1985) the level of detail in the cockpit and undercarriage bays is superb, just going to have to give it some serious thought when it comes to painting to bring out the detail.

A wash always helps to make things pop a little ? 

• Like 1

Nothing done today, which is a shame as the weathers been perfect for painting outdoors, but I've been out since lunchtime on a stag do, just made a tactical withdrawl having drunk more beer today than I've had in total over the last 2 years. At this point I'm still slightly tipsy so One-Oh-Wonder is strictly off limits just in case I do something I regret tomorrow 😉👍

• Haha 1

It's been a lovely summers day, as the girls went out for a few hours this afternoon I decided to have some time in the garden with some spray cans, managed to get everything primed and even got some Metalcote Polished Aluminium onto the undercarriage legs too.

2022-06-12_05-33-03

I'm at the point where I'm waiting on some supplies of paint, the only Interior Green I have is an old tin of Humbrol enamel and I'm trying to stick with acrylics at the moment, so I've ordered some Tamiya Flat Yellow and Flat Green to mix up some Interior Green, I'm using Tamiya's recommended mix which is 2 parts XF-3 Yellow and 1 part XF-5 Flat Green, I've seen convincing results with this mix on other builds, and I have some empty dropper type bottles to mix it up and store it in for future use. The paint should arrive tomorrow and once I get the undercarriage bays and cockpit painted up I can start to close up the fuselage and wings.

• Like 2

On 6/9/2022 at 11:35 AM, AntPhillips said:

On 6/9/2022 at 11:35 AM, AntPhillips said:

I built this kit recently.  Ive also recently built the Mono F-106 & currently building the F-102.  It's astonishing that Monogram were able to provide the level of detail that they did on seats, cockpits, undercarriages & bays etc. when certain contemporary manufacturers just don't seem to put in any effort at all (Kittyhawk, I AM looking at you amongst others!).

• Like 1