Academy 1/48 Vought SB2U-3 Vindicator (Inspection)

80 years past, the momentum shift in the pacific war known as Midway was fought and this obsolete, yet valiant machine helped to turn the tide, or at least it tried.  After building a Japanese subject for the Pearl Harbor anniversary I figured I'd switch sides for Midway.  This was Academy's rebox of the Accurate Miniatures kit and although the detail was nice, it didn't seem to go together that well in places, plus the instructions weren't 100 percent clear at all times.  Nevertheless it's done, I can finally relax and re-stress myself again with the next build. https://youtu.be/JlDyq231ZMkspacer.png

Edited by Of Models & Monsters
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Very nice; you should post more images. Did Academy fix the issue with the fuselage stringers?  I recall AM release having molding issues.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cduckworth said:

Very nice; you should post more images. Did Academy fix the issue with the fuselage stringers?  I recall AM release having molding issues.  

No they did not.  There were lots of sink marks here that needed to be either filled or sanded off.

On 6/4/2022 at 3:47 PM, Richard Cawsey said:

I found it useful to print off the original Accurate Miniatures instructions as the process is described step by step.

I can't think of any manufacturer that provided better instructions than Accurate Miniatures.

Lovely Vindicator, OM&M.  Have you watched the John Ford movie?

You did great work to get this Vindicator to look that good.  I have learned from colleagues that these former Accurate Miniature Vindicators are very difficult to assemble properly.  :goodjob:

Mike