Bristol Beaufighter IF

This is Tamiya's 1/48 Beaufighter MkVI/IF kit, built OOB and finished in the markings of RO*B 'Bambi' - a MkIF nightfighter of 29 Sqdn based at West Malling in 1942.  Markings, roundels, etc are all Montex masks, but using the kit decal for the nose art.  Typical Tamiya engineering and I can't remember having any issues during the build.  The biggest challenge was trying to make an all-black RDM2 scheme look remotely interesting - hopefully it worked - I'll let you decide ;) 

bPstb1i.jpg?1

jagHxar.jpg

Ia7M4Em.jpg

aQV9oJk.jpg

AFDgA8n.jpg

U3YhIxG.jpg

7UNPH17.jpg

160g5IO.jpg

seiAJ1j.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Very nice!

I am not a Beau expert but I always though that Mk I has flat tailplane. Are you sure that it is Mk IF, not MK VI?

Regards

J-W

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JWM said:

Very nice!

I am not a Beau expert but I always though that Mk I has flat tailplane. Are you sure that it is Mk IF, not MK VI?

Regards

J-W

Not sure, tbh, the box offers builds for a mkVI and a IF, both with the same dihedral.  I do know that the tail is correct for RO*B, whatever the version.  Someone with a better knowledge of Beaufighters than me (ie almost everyone), would be welcome to clarify further ;)

• Like 1

Actually V8324 was one of the last Mk.IFs built - she belonged to the batch V8219-V8901, where V8386 was the split point, i.e. the 1st Mk.VIF.

So there were only ~50 Mk.IFs built after her. Thus no retro-fitted - the dihedral tail was the factory standard in this period. Also the spinners weren't there. 

Cheers

Michael

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, KRK4m said:

Actually V8324 was one of the last Mk.IFs built - she belonged to the batch V8219-V8901, where V8386 was the split point, i.e. the 1st Mk.VIF.

So there were only ~50 Mk.IFs built after her. Thus no retro-fitted - the dihedral tail was the factory standard in this period. Also the spinners weren't there. 

Cheers

Michael

Thanks Michael

This is the only pic I could find of V8324 - which I was using as reference... 

x8YnFDx.jpg

• Like 3

Lovely subtle finish, and thank goodness no copper-coloured exhaust collectors - well done indeed!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

no copper-coloured exhaust collectors

Glad someone mentioned that ;) I did my best to avoid the 'copper look'.  Those are painted with Mig 'polished metal', then dry brushed with Mig 'burnt iron' - although the appearance of the collector rings would typically change, depending on how much heat was being generated/transferred.  

• Like 1