The other Tim's 1/200 Cyber-Hobby Avro Vulcan B.2 - XL321 617 Sqn, RAF Scampton, 1962 - small, but Big and British!

Tim Moff

Im in with a late entry - have been building over a couple of weeks. V small for my eyes, but picked up cheap in Tokyo when I was working over at the Olympics...

Box and part pics...

FullSizeRender(201).jpg

IMG_2096.HEIC

IMG_2095.HEIC

Fairly straightforward, apparently some wrong bits on it, no decals for Skyflash, too many wheels for nose gear, will just use the 2, will remove the radar housing on the nose as building against the online refs

IMG_2201(2).JPG

IMG_2191(1).JPG

IMG_2195(1).JPG

also the Corgi collectable!

corgi-aviation-archive-aa27202-1-72-scal

Link to a nice 1/72 Airfix build...

https://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=124124

IMG_2196(1).JPG

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 4

Some basic work - went together quite quickly...

FullSizeRender(200).jpg

FullSizeRender(198).jpg

If the windscreen is not great I will just paint black...

FullSizeRender(197).jpg

Bit of grey primer and rough pre-shade using DSG

FullSizeRender(205).jpg

Getting the white on is a judgement call to not leave it too white and toylike...

IMG_2250(1).HEIC

IMG_2248.HEIC

IMG_2251(1).HEIC

IMG_2249.HEIC

IMG_2249.HEIC

Got the black on - evidence shows this airframe had the black areas that are sometimes seen painted in the buff 'radome' colour...

FullSizeRender(211).jpg

Tail is dry fitted - will decal it before adding with some tamiya extra thin...

FullSizeRender(213).jpg

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 4

Nice work thus far,  I see you have correctly removed the tfr from the nose and noted the incorrect wheels,  I approve :) Are you aware of the extra pitot and instructions to fit some aerials back to front?

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Nice work thus far,  I see you have correctly removed the tfr from the nose and noted the incorrect wheels,  I approve :) Are you aware of the extra pitot and instructions to fit some aerials back to front?

Hi @Adam Poultney

Thanks - not aware of the pitot/Antenna issue? Any advice appreciated!

1 minute ago, Tim Moff said:

Hi @Adam Poultney

Thanks - not aware of the pitot/Antenna issue? Any advice appreciated!

Check my thread in the Falklands group build where I built XM597, I covered just about every possible issue with the kit thoroughly

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

Check my thread in the Falklands group build where I built XM597, I covered just about every possible issue with the kit thoroughly

Thanks Adam - very informative and helpful - nice build - some good info on Black Buck sorties as well. Seems my ECM plates are in the wrong place, I broke one trying to move them so have had to live with it and try to repair!

Filled in the mounting hole for the extra probe! Will need to rub it back and refill etc til ready to repaint...

IMG_2328(1).HEIC

With the 'live' Blue Steel 'Shape' - I take it the small roundels (not shown on the instructions) should be used? Not much out there for obvious reasons, but with the white live missile I take it I use the standard colour roundels 25 rather than the subdued 24?

FullSizeRender(217).jpg

A quick search shows mock ups etc with a red warning triangle only? So should I omit the roundel?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

With the 'live' Blue Steel 'Shape' - I take it the small roundels (not shown on the instructions) should be used?

No roundels AFAIK, I think they got that from skybolts maybe... wouldn't surprise me given the research quality 

• Thanks 1

• Tim Moff changed the title to The other Tim's 1/200 Cyber-Hobby Avro Vulcan B.2 - XL321 617 Sqn, RAF Scampton, 1962 - small, but Big and British!
  • 3 weeks later...

Finishing off with some gloss to seal the decals in and some grey  Tamiya panel line accent.

got the pesky severely over engineered tiny undercarriage bits on!

I may do a little weathering and then stick on a semi gloss final coat.

IMG_2503.HEIC

FullSizeRender(224).jpg

IMG_2505.HEIC

IMG_2506.HEIC

FullSizeRender(223).jpg

• Like 2

Some weathering 

IMG_2610(1).HEIC

IMG_2195(3).JPG

but if dark dirt to try to replicate the dirty on the ‘shoulder’ areas and wing ..

IMG_2609(1).HEIC

FullSizeRender(229).jpg

some oils to try to subtlety weather as per the undersides on the pic 

IMG_2607(1).HEIC

IMG_2606.HEIC

IMG_2589(1).JPG

Just need to put the probe and some antenna/pitots on plus a semi gloss final cote.

• Like 5