Indian Air Force Hawker Hurricane Mk IIc

The goal of my Hawker Hurricanes around the world project is to model a Hawker Hurricane in the markings of each air force that did not use more-or-less standard UK markings. I would say the Indian Air Force is a bit of a grey zone, since the South East Asia Command markings were clearly also RAF markings, but I've gone ahead and modeled this IAF No. 1 Squadron Hawker Hurricane Mk IIc anyway. I've based this on the (in)famous "elephant" Hurricane which is so popular and shows up on an awful lot of Hawker Hurricanes decal sheets. I say "infamous" because it has been discussed how little evidence there is to support the scheme as usually illustrated, and so I have based my portrayal on photos and Arma profiles of other SEAC Hurricanes such that I feel I have a plausible scheme, albeit no photos to support it. Another aspect of my project is to try out different kits, and this one is the Smer kit, which is the Heller sprues plus a small (and mostly useless) PE fret. Actually the kit proved better than I expected when I first opened it, but I swapped out the UC doors and wheels for Airfix Mk I parts and added the bombs and bomb carriers from an Arma Mk IIb kit. The strangest thing about the Heller model is the lack of a starboard landing light, but I didn't bother adding that. She's painted with Tamiya XF-19 underside for the Medium Sea Grey and uppers are Mission Models' RAF Dark Earth and RAF Dark Green.

y4muMpGj9g5TGDY3iTpJLIA2ekTqnBUg1ZlY5aIP

y4mb44vDDtRWgK7bLA80OmPKODthPcrmLVze4T2a

y4mjMe-UPdkRc7_xkmcX-JgYFGrxJqRZXOXaCbo7

y4mcBejVu0Z56i4bloFzuPjfizMqPQ-EB5qqzPbn

y4mZSNJ5t0g89t8a7QUgxaT2DBVWOPGxBSVGkqbi

y4mHbsHik9RoAWz1F8LMQEVwvMkeNe29pUtcY0-X

y4movMRsjpjYcFfVC18Hj9_rvFc_Efw5yFOXsiPB

y4mFNSSCIwyfakbQmPZVr9zLzVxMKg49HundUhyQ

y4mnpZC4pt1CeziJTxd5bhnipcerCEwKn9Uq-9Tj

y4mMSoqE7Dbnx69kDTVLWCLyz9yaMVrSqVdjJSlP

y4mDCAkK56WEzFGZPSI7YMuC1e0nFoG8eLze0Ukf

Edited by ModelingEdmontonian
  • Like 19

8 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Great addition to your project, how many to go ?

Wulfman

Thanks, Wulfman, and thanks for asking! 

Let me recap 😀

Phase one is completed to represent a Hurricane on every continent: AustraliaUSA, Argentina, Poland, Iran, Egypt

Civilian interlude: G-AFKX

Phase two is underway... completed so far: France, Soviet Union, Belgium, Ireland, Yugoslavia (Kingdom and Republic), Turkey, Netherlands. and now India

... and still to do: Portugal, South Africa, (and maybe Greece--which my wife has as a WIP)

Phase three: Japan (underway in the Turning Japanese GB), Germany, Italy, Romania, Finland

So, by my count seven left to go, or eight if my wife decides to finish hers!

• Like 1