Lanc(s) Tanks and Military Machines (plus "Sally B" and Typhoons!)

Hello all

I spent a charming day at East Kirkby on Thursday for the "Lanc, Tanks & Military Machines" event. Visitors were treated to tank firing demos, several taxy runs of the Lancaster and the Mosquito, a full display by "Sally B" and some flypasts by the BBMF Lancaster. To top it all, the Typhoons that had participated in the Jubilee Flypast broke to land at Coningsby over East Kirkby.

When I visited East Kirkby last summer, "Just Jane" was missing her wing tips, so it was great to see her intact again.

A thoroughly enjoyable day in glorious weather, and excellent value at £14!

DSC_0663.jpg

DSC_0674.jpg

DSC_0707.jpg

One of the "military machines" at speed....

DSC_0726.jpg

DSC_0762.jpg

DSC_0778.jpg

DSC_0823%20bw.jpg

B&W or colour?

DSC_0823.jpg

DSC_0910.jpg

DSC_0927.jpg

DSC_0945.jpg

DSC_0981.jpg

DSC_0993.jpg

DSC_1027.jpg

DSC_1050.jpg

DSC_1054.jpg

DSC_1061.jpg

DSC_1105.jpg

DSC_1149.jpg

DSC_1167.jpg

DSC_4693.jpg

DSC_4720%20bw.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Parabat said:

Excellent pics, those Typhoons look like you took them from another aircraft at 20,000ft! Great day out, thanks for sharing. 

Thanks very much, Parabat! I'm really pleased that you enjoyed them. I would have loved to have been up there with the Typhoons!

Hi, Alpha Delta 210.

It was a very good day, wasn't it? Not too hot, for one thing. The Typhoon passes were the "cherry-on-the-cake", for me. I will never get tired of hearing the Lanc with her engines near full-throttle, only a few hundred feet away. 

Thanks for sharing your photos with us. 

Cheers.

Chris.

Edited by spruecutter96
Correcting a typo.
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

Hi, Alpha Delta 210.

It was a very good day, wasn't it? Not too hot, for one thing. The Typhoon passes were the "cherry-on-the-cake", for me. I will never get tired of hearing the Lanc with her engines near full-throttle, only a few hundred feet away. 

Thanks for sharing your photos with us. 

Cheers.

Chris.

Hi Chris. Yes, it was a great day! I didn't think that I would have to decide where to look, but when the Typhoons appeared as Jane was taxiing, I was genuinely conflicted!

Ten Merlins, four Wright Cyclones and a squadron of EJ200s kept me buzzing on the long drive home!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Great looking photos again looks like lots of variety. You must be pleased with all of them, East Kirkby looks in fine condition.🙂

Colin

Thanks for the kind words, Colin. East Kirkby is like a time machine and with the live 1940s music, I was soaking up the atmosphere. 

And I was soaking up the smell of the chicken-sheds.... Not really unpleasant, per se, but noticeable when the wind changed direction. Didn't spoil the day, though. 

Cheers.

Chris. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

And I was soaking up the smell of the chicken-sheds.... Not really unpleasant, per se, but noticeable when the wind changed direction. Didn't spoil the day, though. 

Cheers.

Chris. 

Yes, I couldn't wait to move away from that end of the airfield!🤢

Another quality set of varied images Leigh. Love the B17 and Lanc topsides, the Mossie with engines running and the almost air-to-air Typhoons. Looks a grand day out.

Mark

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, canberraman said:

Another quality set of varied images Leigh. Love the B17 and Lanc topsides, the Mossie with engines running and the almost air-to-air Typhoons. Looks a grand day out.

Mark

Thanks for the kind words, Mark! For some reason, I enjoyed the the "Sally B" display more than usual, perhaps due to the intimacy of the venue and the apparent close proximity of the display compared to Duxford? True to form, the BBMF fly pasts were further away and seemed higher than the B-17.

I had a really enjoyable day and as Chris said above, seeing all those Typhoons was "the cherry on the cake!"

• Like 1

When the M-10 (?) first fired its cannon during the earlier tank demo, I think I jumped about a foot into the air. I was expecting it, but it was so very loud!

Bit of a shame that the tanks didn't use their .50 cals as they've done in previous years, but one of the crewman told me they couldn't get the blanks. Supply-system issues?

Cheers. 

Chris. 

Edited by spruecutter96
Amending some information.
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

When the M-10 (?) first fired its cannon during the earlier tank demo, I think I jumped about a foot into the air. I was expecting it, but it was very loud!

Cheers. 

Chris. 

We were too far away (and as my friend suffers from tinnitus, which was set off by the blank-firing Lee Enfields) we were probably fortunate!

Hi, Alpha Delta 210.

Yep, as you're friend has the misfortune to suffer from tinnitus, I would imagine the tank demo would be the very last thing he'd want to be standing near. I hope he enjoyed the event, anyway. 

I'm curious.... What lens did you use for the Typhoon shots? I was shooting video and got nothing useable with a X15 zoom (coupled with a distinct lack of good camera skills!).   

Cheers. 

Chris. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

Hi, Alpha Delta 210.

Yep, as you're friend has the misfortune to suffer from tinnitus, I would imagine the tank demo would be the very last thing he'd want to be standing near. I hope he enjoyed the event, anyway. 

I'm curious.... What lens did you use for the Typhoon shots? I was shooting video and got nothing useable with a X15 zoom (coupled with a distinct lack of good camera skills!).   

Cheers. 

Chris. 

Hi Chris. As soon as the the blank-firing drills started, my friend inserted ear plugs, but it was too late for his left ear.😟

I use two (now out-dated!) Nikon full-frame bodies, one with a Nikkor 24-120mm zoom for static and taxy shots and the other with a Nikkor 80-400mm zoom for the flying shots. The Typhoon images were quite tightly cropped (as was the BBMF Lancaster!)