The Mighty 'ood (Flyhawk 1/700)

This is my second 1/700 ship, my first was the Trumpeter Bismarck, so it seemed only fitting that I built her adversary HMS Hood.

I'll begin by saying that this will most certainly (maybe) be my last 1/700. Through no fault of the kit, I just found it hard work dealing with such small parts time and time again.

The kit itself is beautifully moulded and detailed and went together very well, any problems were of my own making.

The paint was supplied by @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies and, as always, went on superbly. 

The vertical surfaces are Home Fleet Grey NARN20 with the steel decks Dark Grey NARN23 and the shelter deck and bridge decks in Corticene NARN44. The wooden deck was by Flyhawk as was the extra PE (railings etc)

I've not rigged her, I might do at a later stage, as I didn't fancy dealing with the fine thread it would take.

Name plate by Name It  http://www.nameitplates.co.uk/

I've not really finished her, as there is a bit of paint that needs touching up, but I have come to the end of my tolerance for this scale and anyway, I'm off on hoilday in a few days and didn't want to leave her 99% finished. 

So here she is, as she was (supposedly)on her last and fateful voyage. 

I do hope I've done this lovely old ship and her lost crew justice.

Jon

p?i=c649290019f4b5c48739b2bffab7ede5

p?i=d8f5043d960671804dc4182c1abd0444

p?i=fca20f3533a0e32b112456fc122511eb

p?i=a0003b5e3616cb06324b0bceec5233f0

p?i=01936112c8193f63751f21df6116a638

p?i=27c0c53f56d0b18a7452fe9695975b51

p?i=ec0dc77081714941bba29ebe1df5e24c

• Like 41

• Faraway changed the title to The Mighty 'ood (Flyhawk 1/700)
14 hours ago, Faraway said:

Gidday Jon, you certainly have, she's a masterpiece. It's a pity (for us) that you'll not be continuing in this scale for a while, you have a talent for it. But modelling is supposed to be enjoyable and if you find the scale taxing (and so do I actually) it could eventually put you off completely. So do your models in the scale you are most comfortable with, and just expect a little ribbing from others like me occasionally. 😁

Seriously, you've done a superb job of the sleek Old Girl, very well done. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

Jon - another cracking model - really nicely finished - the seascape does it huge justice.  You've made me explore building a capital ship in 1/700.  Space starts to be a problem at 1/350.

As to rigging - why dont you grab some Modelkasten metal wire rigging - in truth it's a lot easier than lycra thread and is ideal for shorter lengths such as this scale

Enjoy the break

Rob

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Jon - another cracking model - really nicely finished - the seascape does it huge justice.  You've made me explore building a capital ship in 1/700.  Space starts to be a problem at 1/350.

As to rigging - why dont you grab some Modelkasten metal wire rigging - in truth it's a lot easier than lycra thread and is ideal for shorter lengths such as this scale

Enjoy the break

Rob

IF.
You do try a capital ship, anything smaller in 1/700 I think is a huge challenge,  then don’t blame me when you are reduced to a :christmas:jibbering, twitching wreck. 
I do have some very fine wire, which I will have a look at using, a bit of rigging just seems to finish them off, doesn’t it.

15 minutes ago, Marcello Rosa said:

Fantastic. Any chance you can post a side by side view comparing the Hood and Bismarck models?

Will do.

Jon

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Marcello Rosa said:

Fantastic. Any chance you can post a side by side view comparing the Hood and Bismarck models?

p?i=a35b214ea0850ce417ff35c057430a4c

p?i=7489e76a27bd348f7df5a200100e5d11

I've censored out the deck marking, you just never know these days.

Jon

• Like 5

On 03/06/2022 at 15:09, Faraway said:

Oh yes you have. It's a shame 1/700 scale will lose you, I guess more models for me, but I do hope you reconsider as she's simply quite astounding. Might be worth pointing out that there remains a Rodney, KGV, PoW, Ark Royal, Victorious, Prinz Eugen, Suffolk, Norfolk, Dorsetshire, Sheffield and numerous destroyers, to round off your Rheinubung dio you've got going here...be rude not to really. :evil_laugh:

David

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

What a wonderful work of model building! Great detail, crisp finish, and nice presentation.

I also appreciate that you have the title correct; the nickname "The Mighty 'ood" I believe originated with an article in the Daily Mail in the late 1920s in which it was attributed to a member of the lower deck. Since then, far too many authors and commentators, following the example of Professor Henry Higgins,  have "corrected" the sailor's original statement to more proper English as "The Mighty Hood".

I really admire that rigging!!

Maurice

• Thanks 1