FAA SEAHAWK UNDERCARRIAGE COLOURS

Tailwheel

Hello All, 

I'm building the Trumpeter 1/48 Seahawk and would like to depict an 'in service' Suez example. The instructions call out aluminium (silver) for the bays, oleos and wheels However, all the preserved aircraft I have seen display the sky underside colour (allowing for conservation considerations, of course ), and I'm not able to source clear enough images of the time. 

Any thoughts or opinions most welcome. 

TIA

Dave 

Hello Tailwheel,

You have a choice off;

sky-Aluminium and interior green. I would go for sky. 

Regards,

Orion.

I just had a look into my venerable FAA in Focus booklet, and the pics suggest that the upper lags as well as all cover door interiors are Sky. I am fairly certain the Marineflieger ones were like that, too. I don't think I have any contemporary pic in my references giving a clear view of any of the bays, as they are invariably in the shadow, and the inner main doors - small as they are - invariably being closed doesn't help. The only semi-clear pic of the main gear I am aware of of what I think is an in-service machine is in the old F40 booklet, again of a Mk 100, and that one suggests Sky as well for the bay. That's what I painted my ex-Frog in 25 years ago anyway (wait - you'll say the ex-Frog doesn't have u/c bays, which is true. After some heart (hard?) surgery it did).

• Like 1