Renault Estafette "Banania"

That looks utterly brilliant!  And you are building at a phenomenal pace - far quicker than I ever do.  Another masterpiece nearly complete.

Trevor

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Marco F. said:

Thanks for the detailed description glueing the body parts sounds and look perfect 

Marco F 

Thanks a lot Marco, hopefully it can be useful. A bit more to come still actually.

14 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Excellent work, you're making a quick job of it!

Thanks a lot Jeroen, but I'm a long way from your two or three days on some occasion, which was still looking very good. 😎

13 hours ago, klubman01 said:

That looks utterly brilliant!  And you are building at a phenomenal pace - far quicker than I ever do.  Another masterpiece nearly complete.

Trevor

Thanks a lot Trevor. I've had a few quite undisturbed days and it's only OOB, so it speeding things up a bit.

13 hours ago, Malc2 said:

Thanks Jörgen, do you use anti fog CA?

Anout 50% of the time I seem to get a white smudge next to the CA joints.

M.

That's a very annoying problem with some CA types. I'm using "Loctite Super Glue", formerly known as "Loctite Super Attack", I believe they are both exactly the same. Can you find that in UK? I'll include it in a picture later today. It's not specified as anti fog, but when applied in normal ways and amounts it is extremely rare to fog. I even glue all sorts of windows with it, albeit with care. On the rare occasion it does fog there is just about always a problem of too much glue that won't set on ill fitting parts, or something like that. Give it a try if you can find it.

Edit, this is the one I'm using: https://www.loctite-consumer.co.uk/en/products/super-glue-liquid/super_glue_liquidprecision.html

• Like 1

Then it's time to fit all the doors, starting with the driver's sliding door. I'm using small amounts of Kristal Kleer glue in each corner, they don't have to be more firmly glued and it's good to have a forgiving glue and be able to reverse the work just done. That last thing would soon prove to be a good thing.

Here the door is fitted, nice and flush. And now I find another mistake I hadn't noted before. This is the sliding door, not the hinged version, and the sliding version should not sit flush at the rear at all, it should sit a bit recessed...

E105.jpg

So off came the door again. Then I had to trim off the moulded in tabs at the lower and upper rear corners to allow the door to be pushed in further. Luckily this trimming is hidden under the door so any touching up wasn't critical.

E106.jpg

E107.jpg

This is a lot better, even if it's looking odd.

E108.jpg

The right side doors were much more straight forward, no problems. I also spent some time touching up the black window surrounds from the masking problems. This will have to do now.

E109.jpg

The three rear doors need a little tape and weight while the glue sets, leading to another of these crazy scary riggings of things...

E110.jpg

So it's waiting time while glue dries... I don't follow any current motorsport since quite a number of years, but Le Mans is Le Mans and since it's that weekend again Radio Le Mans is mostly on in the background. Providing inspiration. Looking at projects. Moynet LM 75. Maybe now, maybe later...?

LM75_1.jpg

• Like 10

I hadn't spotted the driver's sliding door fitment differences. I may need to do some trimming once I look at which parts I've painted. More haste less speed for me!

Your corrcetion appears unnoticable and a very wise idea to only use a spot of glue. Another thing I have learnt from your build.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mbdesignart said:

I hadn't spotted the driver's sliding door fitment differences. I may need to do some trimming once I look at which parts I've painted. More haste less speed for me!

Your corrcetion appears unnoticable and a very wise idea to only use a spot of glue. Another thing I have learnt from your build.

Not many people would notice that difference actually. A bit of darker paint on the body along the rear edge, representing the seal, can improve it a little more.

The rear end more or less completed. I added the little loop of wiring just above the lower left hinge for the license plate light.

E111.jpg

Front end details going on. The rubber seals for the front indicators are quite visible on the real car, so I'm filling the joint with a line of Kristal Klear, to be followed with a line of black paint when dry.

E112.jpg

Mirrors and wipers added. A tiny amount of Kristal Kleer is drying to keep the wiper blade to the screen.

E113.jpg

I have reamed out all the wheels with a Ø2,1 mm drill so they slide on and off easily and can be a little manipulated to obtain a good alignment while the 5 min epoxy is drying.

E114.jpg

With the front wheels glue dried it's time for the rears. Some weight and support added to keep everything in line while the glue dries.

E115.jpg

Heller has not done anything of the slider detail that should be visible aft of the closed side door at the bottom and under the roof line. Not to prominent, but I will look closer at that on the next one I build.

E116.jpg

• Like 11

The excellent detailing continues. I have had a look at a few more photos of the drivers side opening and see that there is a long track to the lower edge, then I found that the door inner has four rollers fitted and I asume there is a track along the upper inner opening too. Also I have seen a C shaped mirror arm on the driver's side on some vans, not sure if this is model/year specific. I hope you don't mind me adding the photo?

spacer.png

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mbdesignart said:

The excellent detailing continues. I have had a look at a few more photos of the drivers side opening and see that there is a long track to the lower edge, then I found that the door inner has four rollers fitted and I asume there is a track along the upper inner opening too. Also I have seen a C shaped mirror arm on the driver's side on some vans, not sure if this is model/year specific. I hope you don't mind me adding the photo?

Yes, I believe you have all the parts involved on these three pages.

E120.jpg

E121.jpg

E122.jpg

Indeed the mirrors exist in different types.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mbdesignart said:

Here are the later type square mirrors. The first typ comes in when the front end changes in -72, then the second type including the C-shaped arm comes in later in the 70's, before -75, not exactly sure right now.

E123.jpg

E124.jpg

A bit of black paint added to improve the look of the sliding driver's door and the indicator rubber seals.

E117.jpg

To finish off the work a bit of weight added to the tyres (grinding flats) to take away that tippy toe look and make it sit on the ground.

E118.jpg

Heller have done really well overall with this kit I think, apart from those moulded in windows. They do look good when finished but I do not like the working method required and the limitations to the painting it forces. So that's it, this one is ready for some better RFI-photos later on.

E119.jpg

• Like 15

46 minutes ago, Marco F. said:

Thanks a lot for your WIP. 

Looking forward for your next Estafette. 

This one looks superb. 

Marco F 

Thanks Marco, glad you enjoyed and I hope you can put it to good use.

There are more coming, sooner or later, the 1000 kg high roof Renault Assistance Course, an open pick-up, a full seated bus, maybe a Renault Service high roof van 73-75 and also the Brandt liveried van, we'll see, but ideas are not the problem...

16 minutes ago, ElectricLightAndy said:

Your models make me think of sweet shop displays, such vibrant colour and livery choices. this looks really stunning and I hope another one will follow fairly soon.

Cheers,

Andy

Thanks a lot Andy, you´re most kind. Providing for the candy shop sounds great 😎

11 minutes ago, mbdesignart said:

Excellent results, thanks for answering the mirror question. I wish I had the manual to go off to add all those extra details, no doubt you'll be adding more detail to your future builds.

Many thanks. I have quite an extensive library of this kind of Renault manuals and books etc, post war - 1980+ something, as I'm a rather keen collector of them. If I can find an answer to something I will try to.

Beautifully clean assembly work, really very neat indeed. 

6 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

but Le Mans is Le Mans and since it's that weekend again Radio Le Mans is mostly on in the background.

I can't believe that I completely forgot it was Le Mans weekend - what an idiot...!! :doh:

1 hour ago, Bengalensis said:

To finish off the work a bit of weight added to the tyres (grinding flats) to take away that tippy toe look and make it sit on the ground.

I always do that on aircraft models but have never considered it on cars, shall have to give it a go!

Lovely build again Jörgen :)

Keith

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Beautifully clean assembly work, really very neat indeed. 

I can't believe that I completely forgot it was Le Mans weekend - what an idiot...!! :doh:

I always do that on aircraft models but have never considered it on cars, shall have to give it a go!

Lovely build again Jörgen :)

Keith

Thank you very much Keith.

Oh, that's tough, realizing just after 4 o'clock on Sunday it's the Le Mans weekend, I'm sorry...

To me "weighted" tyres on model cars is very important for the overall look of the finished model, just as well aligned and well positoined wheels are. I know most builders don't seem to do it, but I just have to.

1 hour ago, Bengalensis said:

Oh, that's tough, realizing just after 4 o'clock on Sunday it's the Le Mans weekend, I'm sorry...

No need to be sorry Jörgen, as I say I'm an idiot! 🤣 I did chuckle to myself when I noticed what time it was! :) I'll try and catch up with the highlights on Eurosport this week.

Keith

• Like 2

Another one here that completely forgot it was Le Mans weekend, although it has been the Classic I've been to more recently. Unfortunately, we didn't go this year as for far too long it looked uncertain as to how difficult it was going to be to get into France with all the covid stuff going on.

As for the build, an excellent job and such a short time to complete. I'm particularly impressed you managed to get the wipers stuck down without any visible glue - whenever I do that a little bit of hand shake always creeps in leading to a bit of a smear whether I put the glue on the wiper of the screen first.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Spiny said:

Another one here that completely forgot it was Le Mans weekend, although it has been the Classic I've been to more recently. Unfortunately, we didn't go this year as for far too long it looked uncertain as to how difficult it was going to be to get into France with all the covid stuff going on.

As for the build, an excellent job and such a short time to complete. I'm particularly impressed you managed to get the wipers stuck down without any visible glue - whenever I do that a little bit of hand shake always creeps in leading to a bit of a smear whether I put the glue on the wiper of the screen first.

Thanks a lot. Classic/historic events are always most interesting.

I try to shape wipers to fit as well as possible against the screen and only glue them at the base. In this case the drivers side still wanted to lift a little, and when so I put a tiny amount of Kristal Klear only at the very edge of the blade tip and tape it down while it sets.

• Thanks 1

Stunning result, superb workmanship, great attention to detail (as always) together with an outstanding paint job makes this into a replica worthy of any museum display!

Thanks for bringing back memories of great times from the past

Stay safe           Roger

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hamden said:

Stunning result, superb workmanship, great attention to detail (as always) together with an outstanding paint job makes this into a replica worthy of any museum display!

Thanks for bringing back memories of great times from the past

Stay safe           Roger

Thanks a lot Roger, you are most kind. I'm happy to wake up nice memories.

• Like 1

What an inspiring build, I've loved it! What's not to love about vintage signwritten vans! I'm itching to do something similar with the HY now, but disappointed at the options out there (this kit only has number plate decals.)  I may have to look into making my own decals ...

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/01lk8txd8v6az91/citroen-inspiration/

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

Thanks a lot. Classic/historic events are always most interesting.

I try to shape wipers to fit as well as possible against the screen and only glue them at the base. In this case the drivers side still wanted to lift a little, and when so I put a tiny amount of Kristal Klear only at the very edge of the blade tip and tape it down while it sets.

That may be where I'm going wrong, but I always expect clumsiness to set in and that I'll snap off the wipers (as happened to some of my builds from my youth) if only glued at the base. 😬

• Like 1