Renault Estafette "Banania"

I am building one of these too, a high roof version, but a different livery. The H Van gave me the first lesson in masking and painting Heller moulded-in windows. I have yet to peel the maks off mine, here's hoping using Frog Tape has paid off. I agree with you regarding the confusion in the instructions regarding the early v late versions, but nothing looking at the Internet of Truth won't solve. I decided to do some resin tyres too as I'm not a fan of the plasticky/rubber variety.

Best of luck with the remainder of your painting, I can't wait for the results.

19 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Well this is quite a contrast to a Polis 911... :) 

Typically neat and tidy work again Jörgen and this will no doubt be another stunner when finished!

Watching with interest! 

And talking of stunning - what a view you have from that lovely balcony!

Keith

Thanks a lot Keith for the kind praise, good to have you watching.

Yes thank you, that is indeed a very nice spot to spend a summer evening with a glass of wine or a cold beer in 😎

4 hours ago, mbdesignart said:

I am building one of these too, a high roof version, but a different livery. The H Van gave me the first lesson in masking and painting Heller moulded-in windows. I have yet to peel the maks off mine, here's hoping using Frog Tape has paid off. I agree with you regarding the confusion in the instructions regarding the early v late versions, but nothing looking at the Internet of Truth won't solve. I decided to do some resin tyres too as I'm not a fan of the plasticky/rubber variety.

Best of luck with the remainder of your painting, I can't wait for the results.

Many thanks. I hope you have success pulling your masks later. I like leave the window masks like these on for as short time as ever possible, when that can be controlled...

Heller did a good selection of the various parts, there is quite a lot that can be done mixing them around if one cares for the details.

Primer was sprayed on all body parts in the morning.

E47.jpg

And after some little sanding in the afternoon all the yellow was sprayed. Automotive lacquer, drying fast, so both sides could be sprayed where needed. I'm just using reasonable yellow and red shades I happen to have around.

E48.jpg

In between I have also painted other parts.

E49.jpg

• Like 8

14 hours ago, JeroenS said:

That's a good colour!

Thanks Jeroen, it will do I think. There are several restored vans in the Banania livery and they seem to differ both in the yellow and red shades, nor do I know anything about the colours in other marketing of the brand back in the days of these logos. I've even seen a van painted in some red-orange all over with the logos in sort of reverse.

You're right, Van Dordt would love one of these... but the company is a little low on funds at the moment so we build what we have 😉 

• Haha 4

That colour combo works really well! Looking amazing so far 👍 

(I just got the HY van for my birthday from my work colleagues, who know me too well 😄 The clear window parts are a new one on me so I'm glad I've checked in here.)

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Quiet Mike said:

That colour combo works really well! Looking amazing so far 👍 

(I just got the HY van for my birthday from my work colleagues, who know me too well 😄 The clear window parts are a new one on me so I'm glad I've checked in here.)

Thanks a lot Mike, you're most kind.

We'll soon see if my method of treating these windows is good or not...

So it was time to mask the window surrounds. I do most of my black window surrounds free hand with a fine brush, but since I was cutting masks and had half the masking job done, masking and spraying seems best. We'll see.

E55.jpg

So after spraying the moment of truth is near. I'm still sceptical to this window method, but if this looks nice I'll lower my opposition somewhat, and build more of these.

E56.jpg

• Like 5

Far from perfect, but with a bit of touching up it will pass OK. I'm still not happy with the window method Heller has chosen, but I'll give it another attempt.

E57.jpg

The problem is exactly what I feared most; as the painting of a gloss body shell is usually done with a primer, then paint and sometimes a clear coat, there will be an edge where the masking is removed where you can see the layers as a very thin bright edge along the glass. And here I have still used unusually thin layers of paint and no clear.

Next time I may try cutting an intermediate mask, sized between the two masks I have cut here, so that it fits right on top of the window surround. That will then be removed after body painting, and then mask again with the current masks, sand the resulting fine edge on top, then spray the black.

Doing ordinary separate windows would have made at least my life easier. Very well, work will continue.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, PhilX said:

Nice and interesting build ... 🙂

Thanks a lot!

52 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

That is a lovely colour scheme - what red did you use (apologies if you've mentioned it, I did look! ) 

Keith

It's Multona 0436 (possibly corresponds to Opel/Vauxhall 539 Mexico red). Automotive laquer spray, decanted and airbrushed.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

Far from perfect, but with a bit of touching up it will pass OK. I'm still not happy with the window method Heller has chosen, but I'll give it another attempt.

The problem is exactly what I feared most; as the painting of a gloss body shell is usually done with a primer, then paint and sometimes a clear coat, there will be an edge where the masking is removed where you can see the layers as a very thin bright edge along the glass. And here I have still used unusually thin layers of paint and no clear.

Next time I may try cutting an intermediate mask, sized between the two masks I have cut here, so that it fits right on top of the window surround. That will then be removed after body painting, and then mask again with the current masks, sand the resulting fine edge on top, then spray the black.

Doing ordinary separate windows would have made at least my life easier. Very well, work will continue.

Really nice work on a very interesting vehicle.

I have been thinking about the clear panels with integral windows. If the windows were masked from both sides and the area around the window was primed in black on both sides, then masked again to cover the window surround, then the base primer and colour coats were added, would this not prevent the lighter line being visible through the window?

Best Regards

Keith.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mpfiend said:

Really nice work on a very interesting vehicle.

I have been thinking about the clear panels with integral windows. If the windows were masked from both sides and the area around the window was primed in black on both sides, then masked again to cover the window surround, then the base primer and colour coats were added, would this not prevent the lighter line being visible through the window?

Best Regards

Keith.

Thanks a lot Keith.

I'm thinking now... What I did first thing was masking the windows on both sides and priming in black around them. That takes care of any brighter colour showing "through" the glass. So far I'm satisfied. What happened next is I have to prime (usually in brighter grey) and then spray the colour cote, then mask and paint the black surround, leaving the edge on the surface against the glass. Masking and painting as you suggest would leave the same thin edge but move it to the outside of the black window surround, which indeed could be a better solution, less visible. It would be tricky to mask the thin edge precisely with an even thickness, but using the edges I get in my pre-cut masks might work, with a line of liquid mask sealing where the masks meet... Food for thought indeed. I'll keep your suggestion in mind when planning the next build.

• Like 1

More Bare Metal foil, here for the headlight reflectors, and of course clear yellow paint for the bulbs. I have to say that the headlight glass looks like parts from a 30-40 year old kit, they could have been better to match the level of other parts in the kit.

E62.jpg

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Very tidy work Jörgen, as usual. I just use my greenstuffworld chrome on mirrors and headlights. 

Thanks Jeroen. I'm going to order some of that Greenstuff chrome and see how it compares to Alclad.

3 minutes ago, Bengalensis said:

Thanks Jeroen. I'm going to order some of that Greenstuff chrome and see how it compares to Alclad.

The version for brushing is ideal for smaller parts. You don't really brush it on, it's more like dabbing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice work.

I use something called 'mirror glass', it is 15thou clear plastic with a silver coating on one side just like a real mirror. - No idea where I got it from! I just tried googling it and could not find any.

When this runs out I plan to use Molotow chrome which can be applied with a brush and still get a streak free chrome like finish.

Malc.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Malc2 said:

Nice work.

I use something called 'mirror glass', it is 15thou clear plastic with a silver coating on one side just like a real mirror. - No idea where I got it from! I just tried googling it and could not find any.

When this runs out I plan to use Molotow chrome which can be applied with a brush and still get a streak free chrome like finish.

Malc.

Thanks a lot Malc.

I have tried Molotow on some occasions but never really come to terms with it. Alclad, or BMF, have always come out superior on my work bench. But it may very well be me that is the problem. Perhaps I should be more persistent.

Some washing have been done to bring a little more life to the inner surfaces, and also some dry brushing and messing around. I might do a bit more as I start assembly, but it will not be something heavily worn.

E63.jpg

• Like 8