1/144 Revell Airbus A320 Lufthansa

Hi guys,

I would like to share my straight build of Revell A320 kit.  This one is an older kit without the sharklet wingtips.  I must confess this was my first attempt at building a passenger airplane and I wanted to focus on building the kit AS-IS without adding after market parts/decals.  I did build the same kit at a later time and gave Swiss livery, but Lufthansa is the one I like better. ;)

I thoroughly enjoyed building this one as there is something about dealing with public transportation for me.  :)

As I was building this kit, I think there were multiple decisions I had to make.  I am sure you guys building the passenger airplanes probably went through the same.

Honestly, there are no right or wrong approach for these, I think it all comes down to one's personal choice and preference. 

For one, I contemplated whether I wanted to use clear parts for windows or not.  I see most of us simply putty the window openings and use decals.

Some skill is definitely required if decals are not utilized since most likely you will need to mask and paint carefully prior to putting together the fuselage halves.  

I took an easy way out (I must confess that putty work is also messy and boring), I blocked all of the windows and applied decals over.  I used the decals supplied from the kit.

Secondly, I stumbled for some time on how I wanted to handle the panel lines.  For this build, I ended up scribbing lines and washing them.  I did not want the lines to be quite pronounced, so I only left faint panel lines.  I see other builders not washing the panel lines at all knowing that it is hardly noticeable on the real planes.

Lastly, I see some builders complete the plane with semi-gloss finish, but I wanted my build to have some "scale model" look (I meant this in a good way), I gave multiple gloss coats hoping to bring out some shine... 

I will definitely try different approach for my next build though, perhaps this is the learning process. ;)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by cifenet
  • Like 18

Very nice model and an excellent first airliner. I look forward to seeing more from you in the future.

For your next model you might like to check out the superb "photo real" cockpit and cabin window decals available from Authentic Airliner Decals. Their range is extensive covering most modern jet airliners (including all versions of the A320 family) and a whole lot else as well. They make detail sheets, wing corroguard and various other goodies like windscreen wipers and vortex generators to help bring the model to life.

Dave G 🇺🇦

Nice work, congratulations! And that's cool that we have one more civil liners builder here 😀

Lufthansa livery is classical and strict but looks very representative on any plane from E-190 to A-380.

BTW it's first time I see A-320 with no gray corogard on upper part of the wing. So I looked for some photos and that's certainly correct! One more new fact for me.

On 6/3/2022 at 1:58 AM, BerndM said:

Superb work and the swiss one looks fine as well.

Appreciated! ;)

On 6/3/2022 at 2:03 AM, Whirly said:

Both are very nice builds, especially considering they are your first attempts at airliners.

I'm really glad to see more and more civil planes being built on BM!

Thanks!  I hope so too.  I think the market for airliners are quite small, but very specialized and strong!  Hope to contribute more. 

On 6/3/2022 at 2:20 AM, Skodadriver said:

Very nice model and an excellent first airliner. I look forward to seeing more from you in the future.

For your next model you might like to check out the superb "photo real" cockpit and cabin window decals available from Authentic Airliner Decals. Their range is extensive covering most modern jet airliners (including all versions of the A320 family) and a whole lot else as well. They make detail sheets, wing corroguard and various other goodies like windscreen wipers and vortex generators to help bring the model to life.

Dave G 🇺🇦

Thanks Dave, I did order Authentic Airliner decals based on your feedback last time!  The decals are for another Swiss A320 and I am hoping to build one once I master some skills. 

Still staying with narrow bodies, but hope to build wide body planes someday! 

On 6/3/2022 at 5:24 AM, tMikha said:

Nice work, congratulations! And that's cool that we have one more civil liners builder here 😀

Lufthansa livery is classical and strict but looks very representative on any plane from E-190 to A-380.

BTW it's first time I see A-320 with no gray corogard on upper part of the wing. So I looked for some photos and that's certainly correct! One more new fact for me.

Thanks!  Yeah, I found some photos with no coroguards!  Good catch on that one.  I agree, Lufthansa livery is somewhat simple and nothing to be excited about, but for some reason, I enjoy looking at it! :)

• Like 2