A-1J Skyraider vs Super Tucano

masterKamera

IIRC, the "Spad" could carry a greater weight of weapons than the four-engined B-17. Admittedly, the Skyraider didn't have to carry them up to high altitudes and not nearly as far, as a rule.

I have a feeling the Supey Tucey can't do that. Also, the Spad was famous for taking a real beating and still getting the pilot to safety.

AH-1J wins, hands down...?

Cheers.

Chris.  

• Like 1

The Skyraider was built for carrier operations, which probably dictated a stronger overall airframe. From a strafing perspective, the A-1's four 20mm cannon would be a bit more effective than the Super Tucano's armament (.50 caliber?).

A great weight of (dumb) bombs was required in order to ensure hitting any target at the time; The Tucc carries "smart" bombs thus the new paradigm is "one bomb one target".

Furthermore the Spad was a WW II design for a carrier-based torpedo/day bomber. The Tucc flies from land; this makes for a lighter aircraft rather than one constructed to enduring continuous controlled crash-landings on a carrier deck.

In other words - the aircraft in question were made for completely different environments. There's an abyss between them technologically speaking.   

Edited by Moggy
typo
  • Like 1

If I had to choose Id go for the A-1. For the following reasons. more load, more mechanically dependable in a combat environment. Now if it could have been modernized with designator pods I believe it could/would be fully capable I think of carrying smart ordnance. The Radial and fuselage could take more damage than a Turbo-prop and its loiter time would be greater with its internal and external fuel load. Now Im off to start laying out plans for a modernized A-1 whif build thank you. 😉

Dennis

• Like 1

I like OLD planes, i really due. They have STYLE. 

Tucano is nto a bad plane, but when i think of "warbird" im thinking stout planes like the BF-109 or FW 190, or Hurricane. 

NOt a turbocharged sport trainer

Both are of their time. But we've all seen that video of that helicopter being swatted out the sky by a manpad. That's the likely fate of both types should they become involved in the type of war we're witnessing now.

But I think a modernised Spad with a turbine engine would win every time.

1 hour ago, Bozothenutter said:

Turboprop Skyraider?

The 'big' types can carry a lot of electronics as well.

Shades of Piper Enforcer here...

Douglas did have a go at that concept, the Douglas A2D Skyshark. It was dropped in favour of developing the A4D Skyhawk - probably a wise move.

• Like 2