primer stage

masterKamera

I have started my airfix eindecker tonight, gave it all a good bath of IPA and its happily drying now. 

But have a question on the right time to do the primer application. I am going to use tamiya white in spray can. 

Should i prime when everything is on the part trees, or after assembly in stages?

MOST of the items like the cowling sections all have the sprue on the side, and will require a good deal of sanding and redo of primer.. 

I'd do it after you've built the sub-assemblies.  That way, you avoid getting primer on the mating surfaces, which you'd only have to scrape off again.  It's no better for how you build it; just less faff.

• Like 1

Sub assemblies. When you get to the point where you think "this is gonna be a bugger to paint if I glue this in now", you've reached the point where you want to prime and probably paint the piece. 

Specifically for the Eindecker, I would do this in the following manner (Please note, I'm basing this off the instructions alone and there's a hundred ways to skin a cat. This is just my method): 

1.  At stage 5, BEFORE joining the right fuselage half, I'd prime and paint the INTERNALS ONLY for the large subassembly you made for the cockpit and floor area. 
  2. Also at stage 5, I'd prime and paint the visible areas of the INTERNAL WALLS for the fuselage halves. Keep the paint off of the mating surfaces however. 
  3. Section 7, I'd fully paint the engine assembly before joining it to the model, including the firewall
  4. Section 9, I'd paint the visible INTERNALS for this sub-assembly before joining them to the rest of the model
  5. Piece A1, I'd personally paint the inside of the cowling before attaching. 

I'd also personally leave off the little fiddly bits such as the machine gun until the rest of the model was painted so I could paint these separately. I've found little parts end up messing with masking or end up buried under many layers of paint they really don't need. 

• Like 1

tomorrow after work its paint the insides, chair, control stick

im going to be stuck priming the cowling on its own, then the internal painting with the base coat for the two step cowling visa wing nut wings, then apply some internal "grease" simulation, 

paint the engine, attach engine to the firewall, apply a large amount of tamiya 40mm masking tape to engine and its spinning shaft to keep it safe. Attach the unit to the rest of the fuselage, then attach everything except the wings and wheels.  Use tamiya 40mm masking tape to cover up the cockpit, then    PRIME....