WW I 75(?)mm Field Gun

I continued with my little project of working on these old artillery kits. This is the LifeLike release of the what they call a WW I 75 mm. It bears little resemblance to a French or post war US 75 and looks more like, but not exactly like, a German WW I 77mm. It has elements of all those guns. Given that, and the fact that the mold was a mess with almost as much flash and mold seams as parts, with careful assembly and an interesting paint scheme, it can build up into a nice desk model. In the photos, if the wheels look a bit out of whack, some of that is camera distortion, but they were out of alignment. A little 'gentle persuasion" and they are better now. It was done OOTB. 

PXL_20220602_224319467 PXL_20220602_224341933 PXL_20220602_224400702 PXL_20220602_224435677 PXL_20220602_224459340

• Like 25

Very nicely done.

I think someone must have recently found a truckload of these old Life Like kits. My local hobby store had a dozen or so them plus and at least of the Encore Models boxing of this same kit. 

On a whim I bought the Encore boxing for no reason other than I liked the box it was in.  According to Scalemates, these kits date back to 1959 and have had several releases and boxings. The longevity of some of these old kits is amazing. 

1/24 scale it claims.  Really? When I opened the box and looked at the parts it looked much too large to be 1/24 - 1/16 maybe. I will have to find the dimensions of some similar 75mm canon and calculate the scale dimensions just to answer my curiosity, not that it is that important a detail.

I like the colour scheme you used and I have printed one of the images to use as inspiration when I get around to my build.

cheers, Graham

• Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 7:23 PM, gamevender said:

It bears little resemblance to a French or post war US 75 and looks more like, but not exactly like, a German WW I 77mm.

You comment had me go looking out of curiosity and I tend to agree that this kit looks more like the 7.7cm Feldkanone 96 n.A than the French Schneider or US 75mm guns. 

cheers, Graham 

I have found out that the kit is based on the 1902 US 3 inch field gun

By golly that looks like a match.

I stumbled across a "Handbook of the 3 Inch Gun Model 1902" if you are interested in some light bed time reading

https://bulletpicker.com/pdf/ODN1659, Handbook of the 3 Inch Gun Material, Model of 1902.pdf

I was planning on building this kit OOB but it seems that I can enough details that I am tempted to tweak the build a bit better but I need to keep the extra detailing in check so as to not get tooo carried away.

I also like the plaque you have mounted the model, simple but attractive.

cheers, Graham

Careful about taking this on as a detailing kit. The fit is terrible and what detail there is is mushy, there are  lots of injection pin marks, some in awkward places to fix, the wheels have a camber to the outside edge that needs to be flattened, which is a messy pain to do, all the spokes are 'sort of' round and have mold seams on both sides and there are sink holes in several places. And you have to fix all this before you'd start detailing. Oh, and the gun is not mounted to the carriage correctly, so you'd have to correct that with some scratch building/engineering. In short, give it a good look over before you commit. 

Agreed, hence my comment about not getting tooo carried away. 

It is clear that this is a very old kit design and far from a fall together accurate rendition but nevertheless I can't help but tweak and clean up bits here and there.

Interesting that you should mention the wheels and spokes. I have been working on a couple of other projects which have spoked wheels and in my search for information on the subject I stumbled across this old book:  https://archive.org/details/wheelwrightsshop00stur/mode/2up  It makes for interesting reading.  Half the fun of building subjects such as is this is research.

I managed to find some good reference photos of the US 3 inch 1902 canon and not that the wheel spokes are indeed not round but rather a more flattened oval shape. Also it appears as though the wheels do have a bit of dish shape to them as well ( the wheelwrights book explains dish and the need for it on some spoked wheel designs ). 

If my build turns out as nice as yours I will be very happy.

cheers, Graham

On 6/9/2022 at 1:17 PM, gamevender said:

Careful about taking this on as a detailing kit. The fit is terrible and what detail there is is mushy, there are  lots of injection pin marks, some in awkward places to fix, the wheels have a camber to the outside edge that needs to be flattened, which is a messy pain to do, all the spokes are 'sort of' round and have mold seams on both sides and there are sink holes in several places. And you have to fix all this before you'd start detailing. Oh, and the gun is not mounted to the carriage correctly, so you'd have to correct that with some scratch building/engineering. In short, give it a good look over before you commit. 

You managed to build something really sweet despite all that. Well done