Good propeller for 1/72nd scale Texan

MarkoZG

Is the Texan prop the same as other variants?

I've no knowledge of this particular type but the Special Hobby kit of the Harvard was well received and I think it is based upon the Academy Texan kit plus some extras, so presumably the prop was considered to be OK as I've not seen any comments to suggest otherwise.

I may be wrong but this would suggest that the prop is reasonably accurate in this scale even if it may need a wee bit of refining with fine grade sanding sheets and/or a sanding stick to make it more crisp.

Regards

Colin.

Nothing about AT-6 kits.  For other options according to the CAA Hamilton Standard produced 13,843 Controllable, 2 blade Dural 12-D-40 for OS2N, SNJ, NA-66 and AT-6 between January 1940 and February 1944, while Canadian Propeller Ltd produced 12,497 Controllable 2 Blade, Dural 12-D-40 propellers for AT-6 and C-64 between June 1942
and April 1945.

The SH kit is basically Academy kit with additional clear and resin parts. However, the propeller hasn't been adressed by SH although it looks toy like.

The blades are not such a problem , but the hub is. It is so basic and simple that it can't be made any worse than it is. Strange move from Academy in 

the first place and completely ignored by SH in the second.

Heller and Airfix Texan/Harvard kits are of no help here either (Academy looks mostly like engraved Heller kit).

If, according to Geoffrey's post above, the Kingfisher used the same propeller, no help could be found here either as neither Revell, Airfix or Pavla/AZ 

offerings provide anything good.

I wonder if there is any aftermarket solution in this scale?

I built a couple of Academy AT-6s for a museum display some years ago.  I just used the kit props, but I added some bolts and balance weights made from bits of styrene rod. 

SN

lzvNQ3W.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/4/2022 at 1:11 AM, MarkoZG said:

Strange move from Academy in the first place

Well, all Academy decal options do have a spinner fitted. 

Cheers,

Andre 

• Like 1