Testing Times. 1/48 North American F-100F Super Sabre AFFTC Edwards AFB.

8 minutes ago, Dansk said:

you do a lot of really good ones craig but I think this has the potential to be one of your best mate.

Thanks mate, I really appreciate that.👍

I have painted the black chevron on the tail and am now getting some gloss coats on ready to start getting some decals on.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

Time for another overdue update.

With the painting done it was time to give everything a couple of brush painted coats of Klear to get a nice glossy surface ready for the decals. A fair amount of time was then spent sourcing the various decals need for this aircraft with a mix being used from the kit sheet, a Furball sheet for F-100's (all the stencils and some national markings) and the markings for the ARDC and AFFTC came from a set by Hypersonic which has various badges from Edwards units. It took some time to decide which of the AFFTC badges to use as it has had several variations over the years but fortunately the sheet had the ones I wanted..

When the decals had dried it was time to think about weathering, for this I used very watered down Revell acrylic Anthracite and before it was fully dry I used a 3M micropad which is well worn to go over the pained areas which removed the excess and left paint in the recessed details. The end result does look a little more well used than in the pictures I posted of it earlier but lets just say it had a busy week sitting in the exhaust of the B-52 that was carrying the X-15 that it was filming. So enough of my waffle here are some pictures of how she looks at the minute;

spacer.png

spacer.png

And a closer look at my discoloured bum which has had some more work done to it and is now more discoloured;

spacer.png

Undercarriage to build up and fix in place, followed by the fuel tanks and we are very nearly ready for the gallery.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

🇺🇦

• Like 16

Very nice Craig! I did zoom in here and there in the typical problematic areas, well done!

The big decals, as well as the two red lines at the tail section, look a bit to crisp compared to the jet. Have you tried gently sanding them? I started doing that to show some degree of wear and tear and fainting paints of the decals. Just an idea. -

question to All: does anybody else do this? Or does anybody have some other tricks up their sleave?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sam said:

Very nice Craig! I did zoom in here and there in the typical problematic areas, well done!

Thanks Sam.👍

Looking at the pictures of the real thing the paint the dayglo faded and chipped very quickly (the F-100D parked next to it has lost a lot more paint!) but the paint on the markings was in much better condition, I might give the national markings a little bit more weathering but not much more than they already have.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

She really is looking the business, Craig. Nice!

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

WOW :yikes: thats a great looking Hun Craig. 

10 hours ago, Dansk said:

lovely mate. a lot of stencil data to contend with but it really adds to the look.

Thanks Martin, Dennis and Paul I really appreciate your comments.

Applying the stencils is never my favourite part of the decal process but you are right Paul they do make a difference and to be fair to Furball they went on perfectly.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

Oh my word, that does look tasty! 👍

I think you've nailed the Day-Glo, I don't think the other markings need to be weathered back that much if at all, Day-Glo has a tendency to weather far more rapidly than other paints and looking at the photos of the original a/c that you posted, the unit markings look barely weathered almost pristine in fact.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AntPhillips said:

Oh my word, that does look tasty! 👍

I think you've nailed the Day-Glo, I don't think the other markings need to be weathered back that much if at all, Day-Glo has a tendency to weather far more rapidly than other paints and looking at the photos of the original a/c that you posted, the unit markings look barely weathered almost pristine in fact.

Thanks Ant. That was my thinking too, the markings do look in good condition, its just the dayglo that has faded and peeled.

4 hours ago, Col. said:

This one is looking great Craig :goodjob:

Cheers Col, glad that you like her.

I have actually just finished her but have packed her up so that I can take her to my model clubs meeting this evening so I shall take some pics for the gallery tomorrow.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

Well as promised here are the pics of the finished thing;

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I really enjoyed this build and it gave me a chance to add another subject to my slowly expanding collection of aircraft involved in test programmes, primarily from Edwards AFB over the years.  The kit went together very easily with no fit problems at all, the aftermarket seats are a must have as the kit ones are quite poor and I forgot to mention that the kit wheels are far too narrow which I solved by adding some old credit card between the two halves which is about as easy a fix as you can get.

A huge thank you to Paul @Dansk for coming up with the idea for this superb GB in the first place and to all of you who have followed, commented and generally me along the way. So thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

🇺🇦

• Like 16

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I really enjoyed this build and it gave me a chance to add another subject to my slowly expanding collection of aircraft involved in test programmes, primarily from Edwards AFB over the years.  The kit went together very easily with no fit problems at all, the aftermarket seats are a must have as the kit ones are quite poor and I forgot to mention that the kit wheels are far too narrow which I solved by adding some old credit card between the two halves which is about as easy a fix as you can get.

A huge thank you to Paul @Dansk for coming up with the idea for this superb GB in the first place and to all of you who have followed, commented and generally me along the way. So thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

🇺🇦

Great looking build Craig, I just got a U-2A and it has a very similar Edwards test scheme including the black chevron. There are few more on the caracal sheet also and I hope to get that sheet next month. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Craig, really like this, it just seems so right the way you’ve weathered the dayglo along with the exhaust area.  This metallic and dayglo scheme is a long way from my comfort zone. 😀

:goodjob:

Chris

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great looking build Craig, I just got a U-2A and it has a very similar Edwards test scheme including the black chevron. There are few more on the caracal sheet also and I hope to get that sheet next month. 

Thank Dennis I really appreciate that mate.

At some point I intend to build one of the U-2's from Edwards and have got the Caracal sheet in 1/48 (and  1/72) to go with an old Italeri/Hawk kit. There are some great U-2 schemes.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chrisj2003 said:

Craig, really like this, it just seems so right the way you’ve weathered the dayglo along with the exhaust area.  This metallic and dayglo scheme is a long way from my comfort zone. 😀

:goodjob:

Chris

Thanks Chris, I am really glad that you like it.

I used to stay away from metallic schemes until I found the Vallejo range, they spray really well and have a good range of colours, and they don't smell!

🇺🇦