Testing Times. 1/48 North American F-100F Super Sabre AFFTC Edwards AFB.

8 minutes ago, Dansk said:

wow, really zooming along craig. nice work. will you be using alclad?

Cheers Paul, no I won't be using Alclad. never used the stuff as I am strictly acrylic with my paints so will most likely be sticking with my Vallejo metallics.

ย 

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ

• Like 1

Lookin rather spiffy there Craig. Can't have too many AFFTC subjects to my way of thinking. This is one kit on my "to get list" I haven't saved enough pennies for yet. I have a nice set of decals for Chuck Yeager's craft that I want to use. Definitely looking forward to this build.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

Lookin rather spiffy there Craig. Can't have too many AFFTC subjects to my way of thinking. This is one kit on my "to get list" I haven't saved enough pennies for yet. I have a nice set of decals for Chuck Yeager's craft that I want to use. Definitely looking forward to this build.

Thanks mate, there are some great schemes from the AFFTC aren't there, the 50's and 60's saw lots of dayglo on NMF subjects, lovely!

Its a nice kit to build, being Trumpeter there are bound to be some accuracy issues with it but it looks like an F-100F to me and has gone together very nicely so far.

ย 

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ

The only major one I was aware of was the shape of the intake. But I think that was on all of the trumpeter -100's. Otherwise they're really good.

4 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Thanks mate, there are some great schemes from the AFFTC aren't there, the 50's and 60's saw lots of dayglo on NMF subjects, lovely!

You can never have too much :)

• Like 1

Today's update is brought to you courtesy of Vallejo's Metal Color paints, yes thats right the basic metal colours are done! After I gave the black primer a bit of a polish to make it as smooth as possible it was time for the first colour to go on and for this I chose their "chrome" which went on very nicely and gives a nice smooth finish. Looking at pictures of F-100's you can go from aircraft which look like a patchwork quilt of various shades to those which look to almost be one uniform shade all over (not including the aircraft post "look alike" which have a painted aluminium lacquer finish everywhere except on their bums) and looking at the few pics there are of my aircraft when it was at Edwards I have gone for the latter and have only given a different finish to the wing and tailplane centre sections, for which I used "matt aluminium", you can see the effect in this pic of the tailplanes and one of the drop tanks;

spacer.png

ย 

The next think to tackle is the Hun's bum, that area around the back end of the engine that gets a bit warm and discolours the metal. After leaving the chrome to dry for a couple of days, and giving it a coat of Klear for good measure, I felt it would be safe enough to mask the area off and set to work making it a different colour. For the base coat for it I mixed "chrome" and "dark aluminium" in a roughly 50/50 ratio and sprayed it on, being quite happy with how it turned out it was then time to start thinking about how to replicate the heat staining that you can see on lots of Huns. I decided on first giving a thin coat of Vallejo's "gold", followed by some very thin Tamiya clear blue and a touch of Vallejo's "steel" for some darker metal bits at the very rear ( ooh err! ) of the fuselage, so this is how she looks at the minute;

spacer.png

ย 

spacer.png

ย 

spacer.png

ย 

Apologies as the lighting was quite bad at the time but I hope that you get the idea of how she looks, I know its not perfect but its my first time trying to replicate this and I am quite happy with how it has turned out.

ย 

My next task is to start masking the extensive areas required for the dayglo paint which will need some white adding for a base (just like the USAF did on the real thing) and before that I will apply some hairspray by thin brush to areas that need to remain metallic due to the dayglo chipping and peeling off.

ย 

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

ย 

Craig.

ย 

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ

• Like 12

51 minutes ago, SoftScience said:

Dang! That came out of nowhere!

ย 

Too bad the kit doesn't give you the option to build the canopy open. Like you say, though, the closed hood gives the plane some nice, sleek lines.

Thanks. The kit shows the canopy as either open or closed but doesn't give any of the mechanism to show it properly, so closed it is.

ย 

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ

• Like 1

Nice job there Craig!

The โ€ždiscoloredโ€œ end looks great so far ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ

ย 

Rub it down with household paper, to give it a even smoother finish.ย 
ย 

And for the the โ€žmetal varnishโ€œ later on, make multiple lifht coats, diluted with airbrush thinner. Rub down with household paper after every coat has dried. I saw it done like that on a youtube โ€žhow toโ€œ. Should give the best possible metal gloss finish.ย 
ย 

Sam

Edited by Sam
  • Thanks 1

Well after a lot of masking two primer coats and a couple of coats of dayglo and a small start on some weathering we have something approaching the look of the final scheme;

spacer.png

ย 

spacer.png

ย 

spacer.png

ย 

As I eluded to previously it took a few stages to get to what we have now. I started by masking the areas with a mix of Tamiya's flexible tape and the normal stuff and then was able to get the first primer coat on, which in this case was white. When that was fully cured I laid down a coat of yellow and when that was dry it was time for the dayglo. For all three stages I sued Revell acrylic paint, the dayglo being their "luminous Orange", I tried to get a bit of a patchy covering of this on places in an attempt to replicate the fading that can be seen on these aircraft after being used in a very hot environment for a while and I added to this by giving the paintwork a very light sanding to reveal more of the yellow in places, predominantly on the upper surfaces as they don't spend as long upside down. You may also notice some areas of bare metal on the nose wings and leading edge of the tail, to achieve this effect I tried something new to me, Petroleum Jelly. Yes good old Vaseline. I remember reading online somewhere that it could be used to achieve a similar effect as the hairspray technique so I though I would give it a go, and it is very simple to use and quite effective. After the metal coat was dry I used a thin brush and applied some of the stuff to areas that I wanted to remain bare metal before I started the paint process for the dayglo, then when the dayglo was done and dry i simply gently rubbed the areas where the Vaseline was and it comes straight off, no mess and no fuss and no damage to the metal coat, happy days!

ย 

So that is where she stands at the minute guys, next job is to mask off and paint the black chevron marking on the tail once I have found the right size unit badge for it from the decal stash so I can get it the right dimensions, and then I should be able to get ready for the decals.

ย 

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

ย 

Craig.

ย 

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ

• Like 10

1 hour ago, AntPhillips said:

Loving the burnt metal effect on the rear fuselage and the day-glo looks good too.

ย 

Great tip about the vaseline too, might have to give that a go sometime.

Thanks Ant, very much appreciated.

Give the Vaseline a go, it really is a very simple thing to do and it works, its also very cheap!

ย 

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ

She is starting to. One together, Craig. I, too, like the Vaseline idea. I wonder if it works as well on enamels?i also like the light sanding idea on dayglo. Iโ€™ve thought about it in the past but never tried it. I use Testors Dayglo, both Red and Orange. It works for me but your Revell stuff looks the ticket too! :)

ย 

Martin

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

She is starting to. One together, Craig. I, too, like the Vaseline idea. I wonder if it works as well on enamels?i also like the light sanding idea on dayglo. Iโ€™ve thought about it in the past but never tried it. I use Testors Dayglo, both Red and Orange. It works for me but your Revell stuff looks the ticket too! :)

ย 

Martin

Thanks Martin, I don't know if the vaseline trick will work with enamels but I would think it should as all it really does is put a barrier between the paints, might be worth you giving it a try on a practice piece.

2 hours ago, Dansk said:

looking stunning craig. awesome effect with vaseline too!

Cheers Paul, still a long way to go and plenty of opportunities to stuff it up.

ย 

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ

Nice crisp paintlines, great job on masking and spraying Craig!

ย 

The vaseline idea sounds interesting, your effort shows it produces good results. I shall give it a try too when needed ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ
ย 

ย 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Sam said:

Nice crisp paintlines, great job on masking and spraying Craig!

ย 

The vaseline idea sounds interesting, your effort shows it produces good results. I shall give it a try too when needed ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ
ย 

ย 

Thanks Sam.

I find masking very tedious but when the results turn out well like this it makes it all worthwhile.

ย 

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ

5 hours ago, SoftScience said:

This looks so very cool!ย 

The orange lines really look crisp, and they contrast really nicely with the discolored metals on your bum, where you really did a fantastic job.ย 

Thanks, thats really kind of you to say, not so much about my discoloured bum!๐Ÿ˜

ย 

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ

ย 

ย 

• Haha 3