Face palm

IanHx

Anyone else have the urge to slap their forehead in disbelief as the BBC presenter at the Jubilee celebrations announced the  A-400M / C-17  duo as

a "Poseidon & Rivet Joint" ?    :doh:

• Haha 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, IanHx said:

Anyone else have the urge to slap their forehead in disbelief as the BBC presenter at the Jubilee celebrations announced the  A-400M / C-17  duo as

a "Poseidon & Rivet Joint" ?    :doh:

After counting an extra bbmf spitfire before….

• Like 1

12 hours ago, IanHx said:

a "Poseidon & Rivet Joint" ? 

That would be the Rivet Joint which was subsequently abbreviated to "Rivet", at least it merited a mention: the Phenom and Texans completed their flypast without comment - poor Huw was probably busy looking through his notes trying to work out what they were,

BBC have a history of errors in flypasts, wrongly identifying aircraft. I suspect that once the script is taken away, Huw Edwards knowledge of aircraft types is zero.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

They have a history of errors in nearly everything...

Indeed.  

If you have intimate knowledge of a particular subject you find will horrible errors from every broadcaster, let alone the ones who are unable to read off of an autocue without messing it up!

• Like 1

Another one this morning watching the service,someone said the Queen was the longest reigning monarch (true) after Victoria,60yrs (64 years but i'll let them off) and George III being 50 years (wrong) since when has 1760-1820 been 50 years...

• Like 2

We are at my sister in laws at the moment. She is a news editor for the BBC. I did mention this and the problem seems to be is that the commentary is out of sync with what is appearing on the screen. So Huw is talking about the planes flying overhead while the camera feed is of the next set of aircraft. Sister in Law is implying that the BBC coverage has not been well organised as a lot of the experienced staff have left/made redundant and there is a fair amount of moving around of staff. Our view of the flypast was pretty well perfect as we were above ground level where the aircraft we flying parallel to the river and so it was like being at an air display. Great atmosphere with everyone clapping and cheering, especially the BBMF and the immaculate '70' formation. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Vince1159 said:

Another one this morning watching the service,someone said the Queen was the longest reigning monarch (true) after Victoria,60yrs (64 years but i'll let them off) and George III being 50 years (wrong) since when has 1760-1820 been 50 years...

Sounds like sloppy wording. George III didn't complete 60 years (was a few months short). BBC are obviously considering which Jubilees they celebrated - Victoria made it to her Diamond Jubilee and George III to his Golden Jubilee.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mr T said:

not been well organised as a lot of the experienced staff have left/made redundant 

Finding this in a lot of companies, not just the national broadcaster.  Worry that in another 2 generations humankind will have lost the ability to follow a set of instructions to glue a Spitfire together ! 

• Like 4

Something I saw on line somewhere...

Years ago your car manual told you how to set the valve clearances. Nowadays it tells you not to drink the contents of the battery.

• Haha 13

3 hours ago, IanHx said:

Finding this in a lot of companies, not just the national broadcaster.  Worry that in another 2 generations humankind will have lost the ability to follow a set of instructions to glue a Spitfire together ! 

Instructions? we've been losing the ability to write manuals for a long time.

• Like 1

I am surprised nobody has mentioned that he said the Lancaster was accompanied by 5 spitfires and hurricanes

Even SWMBO mentioned it so I wasn't dreaming

• Like 3

On 03/06/2022 at 18:14, Pete in Lincs said:

I'm confused, did Victoria get a flypast or what?

And yes, Raymond Baxter was just the man for flypasts.

Not to mention Charles Gardiner or Reginald Turnhill - all very, very knowledgeable about their aircraft.

• Like 2