'The Last of the Gunfighters' & 'SLUFs' (Crusaders & Corsair IIs) STGB Chat

On 6/2/2022 at 9:58 PM, Dansk said:

Not sure if we've done this before but these two bedfellows could make a nice stgb or 'dtgb' (double type group build)

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 @Dansk host

2 @Corsairfoxfouruncle co host

3 @JosephLalor

4 @Marklo

5 @Evil_Toast_RSA

6 @Jb65rams

7 @DaveJL

8 @Jabba

9 @Procopius

10 @modelling minion

11 @Navy Bird

12 @stevehnz

13 @almac

14 @Stephen

15 @Ray_W

16 @franky boy

17 @PattheCat

18 @AntPhillips

19 @wellzy

20 @Ghostbase

21 @trickyrich

22 @coneheadff

23 @Pappy

24 @alt-92

25 @theplasticsurgeon

26 @Wez

27 @KiwiJohn

28 @theaa2000

Hi guys, I'd like o hang my hat on the collective hat stand. I've had a passion for the A-7 since around 1975 when Revell issued the fist A-7 kit. I've had a mega project on the go since then. I'll dig out my photos. I have an Italeri/ESCI kit in the post.

Colin

• Like 5

Hope this is all above board, however I've placed a 'wants' thread up looking for both 1/72 Greek & Portuguese A-7 decals as found in the old ESCI kits. 

If this goes against the GB rules, I do apologise and will happily pull this post down. 

Cheers and regards. Dave 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Hope this is all above board, however I've placed a 'wants' thread up looking for both 1/72 Greek & Portuguese A-7 decals as found in the old ESCI kits. 

If this goes against the GB rules, I do apologise and will happily pull this post down. 

Cheers and regards. Dave 

Ive asked in the past and have been told a link is acceptable, if in doubt ask a moderator ? 

• Thanks 1

On 15/03/2023 at 22:33, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

You could post up the options and ask for input/votes to help you choose ? 

I've got a better plan, after looking up details to assist Enzo @Enzo the Magnificent convert his F-8E back to an F-8C,  I have decided that I will do the same but in 1/48th scale.

As soon as the decals arrive I will post my build topic.

• Like 4

On 3/17/2023 at 4:41 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Cheers and regards. Dave 

I have Greek option in the ESCI/Italeri kit I have just purchased and you would be most welcome to them. Sadly our government has driven our postal service into the ground. I'm not sure if I posted then, that you would receive them! Sorry! I have had to resort to third parties to get my modelling requisites.

Colin

14 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

Sadly our government has driven our postal service into the ground. I'm not sure if I posted then, that you would receive them

That’s fine Colin, I fully understand. I’ve been trying to source a book from South Africa which is proving to be almost / if not totally impossible. Thanks for the offer, I might have sourced some other Greek decals in the interim. 
Cheers.. Dave 

20 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

As soon as the decals arrive I will post my build topic.

Hi Bob,

Have you chosen your F-8C subject?

Ray

3 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Have you chosen your F-8C subject?

I have, Ray, on Enzo @Enzo the Magnificent thread for a  1/72nd VF-84 flame effect F-8C (or more accurately an F8U-2 as the paint scheme is from a 1961 cruise)

I commented that I always wanted to make one of these aircraft in 1/48th, Enzo must be slipping as he never chimed in with "build it now" :like:  :wicked: :popcorn:

As I couldn't decide which F-8E I wanted to build I thought why not build a flame effect F8U-2 (they changed the designation to F-8C in 1962)  So I have ordered a set of VF-84 flame effect decals, the next hurdles are a Vought ejection seat (needs scratch building) and an early spoked nose wheel. 

• Like 1

On 3/14/2023 at 10:18 PM, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Are we starting yet?   Are we?   But are we though?

:bounce:

Feeling the temperature rising Enzo @Enzo the Magnificent? Just look at the big red checkmark on each of the calendars you have hanging everywhere around the house.

Ain't we just like teenagers before their first date, be it before a GB or the release of an eagerly awaited kit 😇

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I commented that I always wanted to make one of these aircraft in 1/48th, Enzo must be slipping as he never chimed in with "build it now" :like:  :wicked:

'cos I knew you would.  :D

That was an incredibly useful post, Bob.  So I'm going to change the title of my thread.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

he next hurdles are a Vought ejection seat (needs scratch building)

As the Vought F-8 seat was based on the Douglas Escapac, a good starting point might be a seat as fitted to the early Skyhawk like so. I have not done the research in terms of dimensions or detail but it does look suspiciously like the Vought seat 

SMA Escapac 1A

Ray

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Ray_W said:

As the Vought F-8 seat was based on the Douglas Escapac, a good starting point might be a seat as fitted to the early Skyhawk like so. I have not done the research in terms of dimensions or detail but it does look suspiciously like the Vought seat 

Good call Ray, it certainly looks similar, the main difference between this and a Vought seat was the head box.  It has a very angular shape with the distinctive head box so would not be difficult to make from styrene sheet, rod and wire.

Vought F8U Crusader chief production test pilot Howard Maby

A view from the other side.

Vought test pilot John Duncan Omvig in a F8U Crusader, with Vought ejection seat

Vought test pilot, J D Omvig

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I thought I might post this under chat rather than in my WIP to capture the broader community with an interest. I wanted a wing fold solution for the 1/48 Hasegawa F-8E. I was scouring the net for a solution easily and quickly accessible from Europe. I found a new player in MCC (Model Craft Collection). I think a Chinese company going by the font used. Nothing saying "Made in China" rather "recommended kit: Hasegawa". Ordered through 48ers and arrived promptly. The parts themselves are reasonably priced. 

The parts come in a useful metal case:

F-8E WIP27

Well packaged. Always like getting some more fine-grained sponge for the sponge technique.

F-8E WIP28

My parts look like the promotional images here they are. Accuracy and fit, yet to be determined but they do look good:

F-8E WIP29

STGB starts on the weekend and I will be promptly cutting up the wings to see how they fit. I will report on the outcome. 

And the instruction sheet:

F-8E WIP30

Ray

Edited by Ray_W
Added Instruction Sheet
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

STGB starts on the weekend and I will be promptly cutting up the wings to see how they fit. I will report on the outcome. 

Thanks for your find on the ejection seat, I have just ordered one and what looks like a good match for the early spoked wheels, same company, will not be certain until they turn up and I can measure them, they are for a 1/48th Fury.  I got them off ebay, from a supplier in Ukraine so if nothing else it supports the war effort.

Those wing fold hinges look really good, they have better detail than the Wolf Pack wing fold set I found in my shed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Thanks for your find on the ejection seat, I have just ordered one and what looks like a good match for the early spoked wheels, same company, will not be certain until they turn up and I can measure them, they are for a 1/48th Fury.  I got them off ebay, from a supplier in Ukraine so if nothing else it supports the war effort.

Good news Bob. Glad you found a possible nose wheel solution. I was going to have fun tonight and start looking up the same thing. That is possible similar nose wheels from the era. However, looks like your already well advanced with your flamin F-8C. 

• Like 2

Does anyone do a resin A-A Refuelling Receptacle Fairing for the A-7K in 1/72nd?  The one in the Hobby Boss TA-7C kit is a little undernourished in my opinion.

Failing that can anyone point me to a decent set of plans?

This might be a stupid question but on the 1/72 Academy Crusader what is the best way to paint the internal air intake to make it look as smooth as possible? to assemble all then airbrush in primer/paint? or to do the deep section, before mating to fuselage? Any thoughts much appreciated

18 hours ago, Tegethoff said:

This might be a stupid question but on the 1/72 Academy Crusader what is the best way to paint the internal air intake to make it look as smooth as possible? to assemble all then airbrush in primer/paint? or to do the deep section, before mating to fuselage? Any thoughts much appreciated

I've done both together!  Painted the two halves of the trunking and then assembled them.  After that I attempted to clean up as much of the internal joint as I could (400 grade wet and dry wrapped around a pencil!) and resprayed.

• Like 1

Look what I have in The Stash!

ItF8-001.jpg

You won't be seeing this in this groupbuild though.  I'm saving it for the Italian Classic GB later in the year.  However, you will be seeing some of its decals. :)

A note for anyone building this kit.  You cannot build any recognised variant of the F-8 from this kit; certainly not an F-8E.   The tailplanes in the kit are the larger type fitted to the F-8E(FN), F-8J and F-8P.  However, the wing does not have the blown slats suitable for those variants.    Both issues are easy fixes however.  For an F-8E, simply cut the tailplane down.  I have provided dimensions elsewhere in this thread.   For the blown versions, simply scribe in the relevant panel line on the slats.

• Like 6

On 3/21/2023 at 2:36 AM, Tegethoff said:

I use the pour technique which is messy but works for me. I assemble the intake but leave the intake fan off or cut a hole if its blanked at this end and clean up a little. Then I pour a thick white house paint into the intake using an eyedropper. The paint is thick enough to cover any seam lines.

52435246724_497e6c4d98_z.jpg

52656790835_48c6a6a369_z.jpg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, arfa1983 said:

I use the pour technique which is messy but works for me. I assemble the intake but leave the intake fan off or cut a hole if its blanked at this end and clean up a little. Then I pour a thick white house paint into the intake using an eyedropper. The paint is thick enough to cover any seam lines.

Super helpful, thank you Arthur, and Enzo. Cutting a hole at the end where does the paint go within the airframe or does it not matter? 

• Like 1

I already have a Lindberg 1/48th F8U-1 Crusader in this GB, though not started yet. The original kit was released in 1957 and was re-released on eight occasions, the last being the 'Firepower Series' F-8J Crusader in 2007.

52779171761_f0d4822379_b.jpg20230328_172314 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

I managed to snag one on a well known auction site for a total of £7.94 in 2010 and the contents look like this:

52779428029_fb820a5f53_b.jpg20230328_172511 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

I don't know enough about the F-8J to comment upon the accuracy of this kit however the decals are genuine anyway. The 'Firepower Series' kits came with a separate sealed bag of weapons and pylons and the instructions would have me add three pylons per wing which I am not convinced is accurate for any F-8 Crusader!

Not sure if I am going to enter this kit here or not. It would be interesting to build the two side by side but my record on completing GBs on time is abysmal so I am going to have a think on it.

Michael

Edited by Ghostbase
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Ghostbase said:

The 'Firepower Series' kits came with a separate sealed bag of weapons and pylons and the instructions would have me add three pylons per wing which I am not convinced is accurate for any F-8 Crusader!

It isnt for a Crusader but an A-7 had 3 per wing. Someone at Lindberg Assumed the F-8 had the same wing as they A-7’s were an off-shoot of of Crusaders. 

• Like 2