'The Last of the Gunfighters' & 'SLUFs' (Crusaders & Corsair IIs) STGB Chat

14 hours ago, selecw said:

Count me in for a Greek two seater..

great, and welcome aboard.

I just picked up a great book at telford covering those hellenic corsairs by dr. andreas zeitler and andreas klein

it's a really good reference source, i can recommend it.

spacer.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dansk said:

great, and welcome aboard.

I just picked up a great book at telford covering those hellenic corsairs by dr. andreas zeitler and andreas klein

it's a really good reference source, i can recommend it.

spacer.png

Yeah, I picked that up. Great reference! Thanks

• Dansk changed the title to 'The Last of the Gunfighters' & 'Slufs' (Crusaders & Corsair IIs) stgb 25th March - 25th June
31 minutes ago, Jb65rams said:

Hobby 2000 releasing the 1/48 Hasegawa F-8E.

That’s what I call good timing.

Yes Ive built one and it was a nice build but have since switched to 1/72 for the majority of builds. Im thinking Academy F-8 as I have a Fujimi A-7. Combined that will give me the family.  

Just to be sure - is the F8U-3 Crusader III eligible for this group build? It was a further development of the F8U-1 and -2, but it's really an entirely different aircraft. As stated by Tillman: "Though based in spirit on the F8U-1 and F8U-2, and sharing the older aircraft's designation in the old Navy system, the two aircraft shared few parts." Only 5 of these babies were built.

Cheers,

Bill

5 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Just to be sure - is the F8U-3 Crusader III eligible for this group build? It was a further development of the F8U-1 and -2, but it's really an entirely different aircraft. As stated by Tillman: "Though based in spirit on the F8U-1 and F8U-2, and sharing the older aircraft's designation in the old Navy system, the two aircraft shared few parts." Only 5 of these babies were built.

Cheers,

Bill

I dont see why not, I would think all prototypes and experimental versions would be acceptable. If I could Id love to do an A-7F myself. 

• Like 1

Hi Paul @Dansk,

You must really have some influence at Hasegawa to get their re-pop of the 1/48 F-8E with such impeccable timing for the STGB with both the kit itself and in a Hobby 2000 boxing.  I arrived back in Australia and sitting here was my newly arrived Hasegawa order from Japan.  So kit and resin are good to go. Subject? Still undecided. Probably choose something off Furball FUR-48-007. 

Ray

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Hi Paul @Dansk,

You must really have some influence at Hasegawa to get their re-pop of the 1/48 F-8E with such impeccable timing for the STGB with both the kit itself and in a Hobby 2000 boxing.  I arrived back in Australia and sitting here was my newly arrived Hasegawa order from Japan.  So kit and resin are good to go. Subject? Still undecided. Probably choose something off Furball FUR-48-007. 

Ray

it was bribery with @modelling minion's credit card again. 👍

no seriously isnt that great timing. been looking at it myself and considering clicking buy ray. looks really nice. must resist... muuusstt ressssisst

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Come in for quite a hammering lately what with Hasegawa and the all the Bumfight bribes, and ordering one of the Hobby 2000 Marines boxings for myself.

🇺🇦

is that what you'll build for the gb craig? 

There's some interesting marking choices to pick from on both of the hobby 2000 boxings looking at scalemates.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dansk said:

is that what you'll build for the gb craig? 

There's some interesting marking choices to pick from on both of the hobby 2000 boxings looking at scalemates.

Quite possibly, but theres also another Monogram F-8E, a Hasegawa F-8J and a HobbyBoos TA-7 in the stash to choose from. Toying with the idea of backdating the Monogram F-8E into either a C or D.

🇺🇦

• Like 2

• Dansk changed the title to 'The Last of the Gunfighters' & 'SLUFs' (Crusaders & Corsair IIs) stgb 25th March - 25th June
3 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Quite possibly, but theres also another Monogram F-8E, a Hasegawa F-8J and a HobbyBoos TA-7 in the stash to choose from. Toying with the idea of backdating the Monogram F-8E into either a C or D.

🇺🇦

we have a first world luxury problem here craig. all sounds good. hope we get some other two seaters if you don't go the hobbyboss way.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Got my two builds, Fujimi A-7

and Academy F-8.

The A-7 will be VA-37 Bulls from my week on board the USS Forrestal and Either USN or French F-8P.

Nice Dennis.

Looks like Santa has been good to you.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/11/2023 at 5:25 PM, theaa2000 said:

I just picked up the Hobby 2000 F-8E "MIG Killers" reboxing of the Hasegawa kit so this is the perfect GB to build it - Count me in please, Paul!

great stuff mate. 👍

the hobby2000 (hase re pop) release should hopefully entice others into the gb too.

• Like 3

On 11/27/2022 at 1:49 PM, Dansk said:

no seriously isnt that great timing. been looking at it myself and considering clicking buy ray. looks really nice. must resist... muuusstt ressssisst

I caved and ordered one.  Between how long it's been since they've released one, coupled w/ a reasonable price ($35)...couldn't resist.  There might be something else in the box, but that's a dilemma for another day.  :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

While doing some research for the GB, I came upon this brief and excellent paper on the dogfighting tactics and performance of the F-8. What an aircraft for the era! 

https://www.aerosociety.com/media/8037/an-examination-of-the-f-8-crusader-through-archival-sources.pdf

Roll on March 25.

Ray

• Like 2

I'd like to join please. Just started back in modelling aircraft. I have a couple of Academy F-8E's and some Sundowner decals. Maybe I could make one useful plane!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Count me in folk's Just starting the old 1/72 Hasegawa Corsair for the Japanese GB which involved buying some AM Decals leaving two superb scheme's too good to waste

so picked up the old Airfix kit for pennies already on the search for a Frog boxing of the Hasegawa kit for a second build prices permitting would like to do the Matchbox kit

in it's USAF scheme.

• Like 2