'The Last of the Gunfighters' & 'SLUFs' (Crusaders & Corsair IIs) STGB Chat

I’d be keen on this one Paul. Please add me to the list.

I saw to that Hasegawa are planning on re releasing their Crusader soon which will work well for this one. 

James 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, franky boy said:

I’d be keen on this one Paul. Please add me to the list.

I saw to that Hasegawa are planning on re releasing their Crusader soon which will work well for this one. 

James 

nice james you're in

• Like 1

• Dansk changed the title to 'The Last of the Gunfighters' & 'Slufs' (Crusaders & Corsair IIs) stgb - 16 votes
3 hours ago, PattheCat said:

Hi Paul. 2023 then? If so I have a 1/72 Academy F-8 with French Aeronavale markings and special schemes that would do.

Regards.

Pat.

That sounds like good fit Pat 👍

• Thanks 1

• Dansk changed the title to 'The Last of the Gunfighters' & 'Slufs' (Crusaders & Corsair IIs) stgb - 17 votes

I'd be up for this, either with a Hasegawa F-8 (adorned with lots of lovely red & white checks of VF-24 or VF-211), or maybe a Hasegawa / Revell A-7E and it would be the perfect opportunity to finally getting around to using some of my Aeromaster CVW-8 1977/78 decal set so it'll either be a Marauder or Sidewinder, both full of colour.  

• Like 5

4 hours ago, AntPhillips said:

I'd be up for this, either with a Hasegawa F-8 (adorned with lots of lovely red & white checks of VF-24 or VF-211), or maybe a Hasegawa / Revell A-7E and it would be the perfect opportunity to finally getting around to using some of my Aeromaster CVW-8 1977/78 decal set so it'll either be a Marauder or Sidewinder, both full of colour.  

super ant, sounds like you have some super options planned. you gotta love those high viz schemes.

fingers crossed we make the bunfight.

• Dansk changed the title to 'The Last of the Gunfighters' & 'Slufs' (Crusaders & Corsair IIs) stgb - 18 votes

Hi can l add my name  to the  list please  , Don't what l will build  got  a choice  of the F 8E , A 7E , or  a TA 7 C .

Cheers  Wellzy  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, wellzy said:

Hi can l add my name  to the  list please  , Don't what l will build  got  a choice  of the F 8E , A 7E , or  a TA 7 C .

Cheers  Wellzy  

done mate

• Dansk changed the title to 'The Last of the Gunfighters' & 'Slufs' (Crusaders & Corsair IIs) stgb - 19 votes
22 minutes ago, wellzy said:

Looking at the posable of turning  the  TA 7 C into  a EA 7 L 

Cheers  wellzy 

i dont know what that means but my much more qualified excellent co-host dennis @Corsairfoxfouruncle probably does.

Dennis he's not trying to turn a corsair into a boat or something is he? that's not allowed 🙃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wellzy said:

Looking at the posable of turning  the  TA 7 C into  a EA 7 L 

Cheers  wellzy 

53 minutes ago, Dansk said:

i dont know what that means but my much more qualified excellent co-host dennis @Corsairfoxfouruncle probably does.

Dennis he's not trying to turn a corsair into a boat or something is he? that's not allowed 🙃

No not a boat, some of the USN TA-7’s were turned into aggressors. I was actually considering one myself. They were used for both Dissimilar air combat training and Electronic jamming training. 

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:EA-7L_VAQ-34_1987.jpeg#mw-jump-to-license

https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Navy/LTV-EA-7L-Corsair-II/2070960

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:EA-7L_pilots_VAQ-34_Elmendorf_AB_1987.JPEG#mw-jump-to-license

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/remembering-the-ea-7l-the-sluf-variant-that-played-the-role-of-adversary-aircraft/

Dennis

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thank`s Dennis  The pic`s have made up my mind on the build ,got the kit got the Decals  good to go .

Wellzy

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

i’ve got all the good looks, dennis has the brains and knowledge in this partnership. 😎

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dansk said:

@Enzo Matrix what is the current number of votes needed for an stgb to enter the bumfight? is it the same as a regular gb?

It's 25 for an STGB.   However, I'm not convinced that the F-8 and A-7 can be considered as a "single type". 

59 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

It's 25 for an STGB.   However, I'm not convinced that the F-8 and A-7 can be considered as a "single type"

see post #2 enzo; co-host dennis @Corsairfoxfouruncle disagrees with you.

'I think STGB as the SLUF was just a shortened version of the Crusader, the wing was solid and optimized for ground attack.

“The A-7 was developed during the early 1960s as replacement for the Douglas A-4 Skyhawk. Its design was derived from the Vought F-8 Crusader; in comparison with the F-8, the A-7 is both smaller and restricted to subsonic speeds, its airframe being simpler and cheaper to produce.”

Essentially the YA-7F was supposed to re-extend the fuselage for better air to air capabilities. 

“YA-7F Strikefighter (A-7D Plus)

Stretched, supersonic version of A-7 powered by an F100, optimized for interdiction role, but cancelled after two prototypes were built.” 

At least these are my opinions...'

53 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

It's 25 for an STGB.   However, I'm not convinced that the F-8 and A-7 can be considered as a "single type". 

9 minutes ago, Dansk said:

'I think STGB as the SLUF was just a shortened version of the Crusader, the wing was solid and optimized for ground attack.'

Not trying to start a debate and of course your decision would be final Enzo. I believe them to be variation's of the same basic airframe. And in some ways so does history. From Wikipedia.

On 17 May 1963, these criteria were formulated into a draft requirement, known as VAL (Heavier-than-air, Attack, Light).[3] On 29 May 1963, the request for proposals (RFP) associated with the requirement was issued.[2] To minimize costs, all proposals had to be based on existing designs.[3] Accordingly, Vought, Douglas Aircraft, Grumman and North American Aviation chose to respond. The Vought proposal was based on their successful F-8 Crusader fighter and sharing a similar configuration; however, it had a shorter airframe with a rounded nose, giving the aircraft a "stubbier" appearance.

My personal opinion is that the navy actually realized they they could re-extend the fuselage of the A-7. By doing so would get a good dog fighter out of it. In the end the USN essentially realized if they had just modified the F-8 correctly to begin with. They could have had the plane they were trying to make with the A-7F. Sadly the cold war was ending and the cuts began, the aircraft passed into history as a what could have been ? 

Dennis

18 minutes ago, Dansk said:

It's a bit of a fine line.  The current Dornier 17 family STGB includes the Do 215 and Do 217, but they are very obvious developments of the Do 17.  On the other hand, there is a groupbuild in the Bunfight for Hawker aircraft from the Tornado to the Sea Fury.  Although there is a clear line of development, they are obviously different types so it becomes a standard GB.  

I think in this case it's best to look at it as the law would: is there precedent? 

I believe so.  In a Spitfire STGB a few years ago we allowed the Spiteful and Seafang to be included.  I think there is a similar relationship between the F-8 and A-7.  We've done it before, so in fairness we should do it again.

But I'm still not convinced they are they same type.  :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

to be honest i don't mind either way.

i originally suggested a 'dtgb' rather than an stgb as this is too focused to be categorized as a general gb, but maybe not a completely true stgb? 

it is an oddity and perhaps requires custom vote numbers.

Could I be added to the list? I built an ancient ESCI F-8E in 1/48th last year and I would like to try the Monogram kit some time.

Of course, a 1/48th RF-8A/G 'Photo Sader' might be released by the start of this GB 😇 (in my dreams only!)

Michael

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ghostbase said:

Could I be added to the list? I built an ancient ESCI F-8E in 1/48th last year and I would like to try the Monogram kit some time.

Of course, a 1/48th RF-8A/G 'Photo Sader' might be released by the start of this GB 😇 (in my dreams only!)

Michael

great michael, sounds good 👍

• Dansk changed the title to 'The Last of the Gunfighters' & 'Slufs' (Crusaders & Corsair IIs) stgb - 20 votes