Belgian F-104G - All change

Okay. let's get this one moving.  First job was to buikd the cockpit.  The Kinetic kit has some lovely moulded detail on the side consoles.  As I am using the Quinta Studios 3D decals, this all has to come off.   Removing it felt like sacrilege...  :fraidnot:

but the Quinta panels look very nice.  The instrument panel is a drop-in replacement from Eduard.

spacer.png

The other fuselage components are the undercarriage bay and jetpipe assembly.

spacer.png

Assemblies fitted into one fuselage half.  The kit instructions de not mention the need for ballast but I've added some anyway. 

spacer.png

And the fuselage is now closed up. 

spacer.png

• Like 10

Well there is a lot to tell about some dishes, chocolate, art and yes some music but

GDMNt YES we have good beer!

Glad the world enjoys it!

Like they enjoy FN ....uhum...

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

Next step is to fit the intake components.  I sprayed the interiors white and then painted the shock cones in the relevant exerior camouflage colour.

spacer.png

I'm going to have to improve my photography skills so show off the cockpit area properly.

spacer.png

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, Dansk said:

what do you photograph with enzo? your work looks great but the photos look a little oldschool lo rez - its hard to see sometimes.

I use a Sony Cyber-shot H300.  I have it set to 20MP which gives an image size of 5152x3864 pixels.  The filesize is around 6.5MB.

I then resize the pictures to 800x600 in Irfanview.   I think that's where the problem lies.   I'll experiment with the Irfanview settings or maybe use a lower camera setting so I don't have to resize them.

7 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I use a Sony Cyber-poo-poo H300.  I have it set to 20MP which gives an image size of 5152x3864 pixels.  The filesize is around 6.5MB.

I then resize the pictures to 800x600 in Irfanview.   I think that's where the problem lies.   I'll experiment with the Irfanview settings or maybe use a lower camera setting so I don't have to resize them.

modern smart phones do it much better with less fuss enzo if you want an easy life. (i'm really lazy all mine are iphone sent directly to flickr - not perfect but fuss free and pretty sharp - well a bit less grainy anyway)

51944550065_d5861c83f3_o.jpg

• Like 4

I could give my phone a try.

I made a typo in my original post, which turned Cyber-shot into something...  well...   different.   The forum software didn't pick it up in my post, but it changed the quote in yours.  How bizarre!

• Haha 2

I fitted the windscreen and masked it off.  Then came the main assembly, which was nice and simple.  The kit gives options for dropped flaps and slate, which I used.  I was a bit conflicted about this as all the photos I had seen showed flaps and slats in the up position.  However, then I found a photo of a whole line of Belgian Starfighters with flaps and slats deployed, so down they came!

I also masked off the cockpit, avionics bay, gear bays and jet pipe.  The tailplane is just a push fit at the moment.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Primed with clear lacquer followed by a thin coat of grey primer from a rattle can.

spacer.png

And then the first coat of Vallejo Model Air 71.112.   I've also sprayed patches of other tan colours to provide some contrast but it doesn't look right so I will be overspraying another coat of 71.112.

spacer.png

• Like 6

Today's work.

I got rid of the different shades of tan and then masked off the tan areas with my usual technique of blutak worms and masking tape squares sealed with Copydex.

spacer.png

The sprayed with Mr Hobby H340.

spacer.png

A thin coat of lacquwr ro seal the paintwork and a bit more masking.

spacer.png

Back to the paintshop, sprayed with Xtracrylix XA1110.

spacer.png

Ta da!!!   :lol: 

spacer.png

• Like 11

Thanks. I've had issues for a while with masking sometmes lifting the paint, even though I use quite a "hot" primer.   This time, I tried sparying a thin lacquer coat directly onto the plastic before the primer.  I didn't get any lifting of paint.  :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Thanks. I've had issues for a while with masking sometmes lifting the paint, even though I use quite a "hot" primer.   This time, I tried sparying a thin lacquer coat directly onto the plastic before the primer.  I didn't get any lifting of paint.  :thumbsup: 

Do you mean laquer thinner? 

6 minutes ago, arfa1983 said:

Do you mean laquer thinner? 

It's this stuff.

spacer.png

I use a lot of it.   I use it to protect newly sprayed acrylic paint, to prepare the paintwork for decalling, to seal decals and to commence the matting down process so that I don't have to use too much Galeria matt varnish. 

It is very hot though.  If you use it to seal decals, make sure that the decals are properly applied with a decal softener.  If there is any part of the decal which isn't in contact with the surface then the lacquer will get underneath it and cause havoc!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

No, I haven't forgotten about this one.  :D   The Mighty Spreadsheet keeps me on the straight and narrow.

I have applied the decals from the DACO sheet.  There are a lot of stencils!   Ususally I get a bit overwhelmed by stencils and end up bodging them just to get the task finished.  However, such is the quality of the DACO decals that I thought it would be a crime and a shame to rush the,  So I have taken my time and I must say, I like how it looks.

spacer.png

I'll add a photo of the undersides on the next update.

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...