Belgian F-104G - All change

I'll have a look with some friends about the colours.

The field green looks very close to RAL6003, which the Germans use(d). The norm 83 scheme calls for RAL6003 (huh yes, DDR, wehrmacht), RAL7021 (huh yes Wehrmacht) and ... FS34079. So a combo of US and German standards is not uncommon.
The dark green seems very much FS34064.

Edited by Steben
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Steben said:

I'll have a look with some friends about the colours.

The field green looks very close to RAL6003, which the Germans use(d). The norm 83 scheme calls for RAL6003 (huh yes, DDR, wehrmacht), RAL7021 (huh yes Wehrmacht) and ... FS34079. So a combo of US and German standards is not uncommon.
The dark green seems very much FS34064.

You're just trying to tempt me into building a German one as well, aren't you?   :lol:

• Haha 3

First answer I got was:

FS24102 medium green

FS24064 dark green

FS20219 tan

FS26622 whitegrey bottom

Summary:
- Semigloss not flat.
- I think US SEA is 34079 (or 24079) forest green instead of the darker 24064....

The Belgian army helicopters today are FS24079 instead of 24064

Edited by Steben
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/9/2022 at 9:09 PM, Steben said:

First answer I got was:

FS24102 medium green

FS24064 dark green

FS20219 tan

FS26622 whitegrey bottom

Summary:
- Semigloss not flat.
- I think US SEA is 34079 (or 24079) forest green instead of the darker 24064....

The Belgian army helicopters today are FS24079 instead of 24064

Most people don't bother and use FSX4079 but I guess you're right concerning the dark green. FSX4064 should be appropriate. But I find it's too dark and too brown though. Me, I would stay with FSX4079, maybe add a very, very small amount of brown to it.

For the tan and medium green, i'd still follow what Daco advises, that these are different from SEA colours and use Tan FSX0227/X0313 - medium green FSX4097.

+1 for a semigloss finish.

NOTE: all this comes from crisscrossing info mainly from the Web and looking at pics (caveat: I'm somewhat colour blind and my monitor is not calibrated). So STRICLY personal opinions and my confidence in Dany Cooremans work. Take it with the usual grain (pack?) of salt.

Regards compatriot.

Pat.

• Like 1

I used a paint dummy to try out the camouflage colours/

Tan:  FS30313    Vallejo 710112 Sand

Medium Green:   FS34097     Mr Hobby  H340

Dark Green:  FS34079    Mr Hobby H309

What do you think?

spacer.png

• Like 4

Here's the kit.

spacer.png

And what a lovely kit it is, too...  

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

With some extras.

spacer.png

I really must say a few words about the DACO decals.  The pack is incredibly comprehensive.  It does indeed allow one to build every Belgian Starfighter in whatever phase of their service.  The early jets had large roundels.  These are provided on the sheet but the fuselage side roundels are elongated along the y-axis so that they will appear circular when viewed from the side.  There is an incredible attention to detail apparent in this set.  I believe it must have been a labour of love on the part of Danny Coremans.   Due to the single stencil sheet, one can only build a single model from this set. However, the stencil sheet is available separately so one could build an early scheme and camouflaged scheme without buying an additional full pack.

I placed the order for the decals in the evening of 9 June.  I received them on 15 June.  I think that is excellent service and I will certainly be ordering from DACO products again.  

Oh...  and I was right about the stencils.  They are in French, Flemish and English.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Here's the kit.

spacer.png

And what a lovely kit it is, too...  

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

With some extras.

spacer.png

I really must say a few words about the DACO decals.  The pack is incredibly comprehensive.  It does indeed allow one to build every Belgian Starfighter in whatever phase of their service.  The early jets had large roundels.  These are provided on the sheet but the fuselage side roundels are elongated along the y-axis so that they will appear circular when viewed from the side.  There is an incredible attention to detail apparent in this set.  I believe it must have been a labour of love on the part of Danny Coremans.   Due to the single stencil sheet, one can only build a single model from this set. However, the stencil sheet is available separately so one could build an early scheme and camouflaged scheme without buying an additional full pack.

I placed the order for the decals in the evening of 9 June.  I received them on 15 June.  I think that is excellent service and I will certainly be ordering from DACO products again.  

Oh...  and I was right about the stencils.  They are in French, Flemish and English.

sounds great with the daco decals, i didn't know they did them. the daco starfighter book is awesome too i can really recommend that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

That decal sheet really does look fantastic Enzo, now you just need to choose which one to build!

🇺🇦

I want to build all of them!  :frantic:

I would like to track down an aircraft that was at an Ample Gain or TLP at the same time as me.  Let's see what I can track down.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 15/06/2022 at 18:51, Enzo Matrix said:

I used a paint dummy to try out the camouflage colours/

Tan:  FS30313    Vallejo 710112 Sand

Medium Green:   FS34097     Mr Hobby  H340

Dark Green:  FS34079    Mr Hobby H309

What do you think?

spacer.png

On picture it looks more saturated I guess than in real life, I'm sure that is ok. The contrast between the two greens looks more American (less) than Belgian (more difference) IMHO.
Strange, since FS34102 is according to some sources a bit darker than 34097, no? But again it could be the light/pictur whatever. FS34097/FS34079 should behave indeed a bit like a slightly scaled 34102/34064 and the tan is perfect.

@Casey ?

Edited by Steben
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Steben said:

On picture it looks more saturated I guess than in real life, I'm sure that is ok. The contrast between the two greens looks more American (less) than Belgian (more difference) IMHO.
Strange, since FS34102 is according to some sources a bit darker than 34097, no? But again it could be the light/pictur whatever. FS34097/FS34079 should behave indeed a bit like a slightly scaled 34102/34064 and the tan is perfect.

@Casey ?

Same feeling as you, Steben and I'd also say it has to do with the lighting/exposure. Indeed, I used H340 "recently" for the cockpit of my Tunnan, and it looks not like a so vibrant colour as in the above pic of Enzo's paint test (painted over a grey priming coat), WIP here: 

12 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Thanks for all the comments about the colours.  I see the point about the FS34079.  I think I will use the Xtracrylix paint which is somewhat darker than the Mr Hobby one.

You could add just some black in theory. That would bring in 34064. But black is touchy in mixing, most unforgiving. And you would need to mix enough in advance.

One can achieve a great ww2 US army olive drab by mixing black and RAL7008. But I never ever succeeded in making two exact same OD's with a different black in same ratios. ALmost always with the same black and different RAL7008. Says something, no?

• Like 1

I'll leave aside any further comment over the camo as Steben @Steben does it extremely well, with accurate info, attention to detail and very good pictures.

+ 1 for the nose cone and fuel tanks painting, also clearly noticeable on many F-104s.

• Thanks 1