1/48 Meng - Boeing EA-18G Growler

Hello all,

I wanted to share my most recent project, Meng's 1/48 EA-18G Growler. This is my first big project in a while just due to uni taking up much of my time, but I was able to dive deep into this kit and I hope it shows. I have always thought the Super Hornet family looks stunning in the air, especially the Growler when fully loaded, so I have modeled it as such. The kit goes together very nicely with great surface detailing and construction, there were a few gaps to fill such as under the LEX and in the rear by the elevators but other than that very nice kit. I tried to emulate some the grime that deployed Super Hornets get when out at sea, in order to achieve this I painted the model in these following steps: Black basing, mottling with primary colors, primary colors, dark rings of grime using liquid masks, "touchups" in a lighter shade, "touchups" in a darker shade, salt weathering with a slightly lighter base coat, oil wash for grey navy jets, and finally subtle oil painting streaks. I think all these steps help to break up the grey scheme and provide a lot of depth and detail. The model is supported by a 1/4" acrylic rod, which has been edited out of these photos, I hope to take another set of photos outside with the sky or terrain as a backdrop but until then I hope you enjoy.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

QfkJl4W.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

wsUYiGt.jpg

cqevI5R.jpg

SiYIesg.jpg

lfxqe6L.jpg

d0NdzHb.jpg

• Like 39

I certainly do enjoy! 

You've done a fantastic job on the painting and weathering. 

Well done!

• Like 1

Wow!  Awesome build and great photo work!  I like the look of it with the landing gear up. 

It looks so good, everything looks very realistic. With a blue sky background, I bet it could be passed as a real thing! ;)

And thanks for sharing the painting tip!

• Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 8:22 PM, Phone Phixer said:

Great work. I like the weathering, worn but not looking ready for the scrap yard.

On 6/2/2022 at 3:15 PM, t15dja said:

I certainly do enjoy! 

You've done a fantastic job on the painting and weathering. 

Well done!

Thank you all, there is certainly a fine line between over doing the weathering and it being so subtle it was not worth the effort. I've done a few grey navy jets so I'm starting to get a better understanding on how they should look, also reference images were a huge help in getting it right!

1 hour ago, cifenet said:

Wow!  Awesome build and great photo work!  I like the look of it with the landing gear up. 

It looks so good, everything looks very realistic. With a blue sky background, I bet it could be passed as a real thing! ;)

And thanks for sharing the painting tip!

Thank you very much. Soon I'd like to find a spot to get a nice natural background and take some more photos. I'm always impressed when I see an image of a model and it takes me a few seconds to realize its not the real plane, hopefully I can achieve that with this project. :thumbsup: