Spit Mk. IXc Late - Edu 1/48 - Black basing & mottling

Hi guys, bought the kit I went to the ritual checks and to the point of saying that the dimensions are excellent.
I have not been to check the shapes, but so in the eye they seem excellent and well spot on.
As a reference I took Monforton's book.

spacer.png

For this aircraft I really like the Invasion Stripes above and under the wings, as well as in the fuselage, so the choice fell on the version "E" proposed by Eduard, relating to the aircraft of Jerry Billing, before it was shot down by the flak on France. This is one of the few decent photos found on the net (or perhaps the only one):

spacer.png

Photos taken from the internet inserted for the purpose of modeling discussion only

I will put some extra accessories and at the moment the doubt is on the wheels: certainly 5 Spoke but Smooth or Treaded? How do they seem to you?

Ciao!

M

Edited by Marvel
  • Like 6

On 02/06/2022 at 17:19, Marvel said:

certainly 5 Spoke but Smooth or Treaded?

I think treaded tyres only became common when operation mainly from concrete runways, which was post war.   I don't recall seeing treaded Spitfire tyres during the war.  @Magpie22 @Peter Roberts @gingerbob  would be good to ask.   

ah, 

Hint, the site serach does not work well, but you can search here via Google, try "britmodeller spitfire tyre tread" which is how I found the above.

World War Photos have 5 galleries of Spitfire photos here, over 600 photos

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/uk/raf/

it's a very random selection, and the captions can be wrong,   but lots of useful images if you have time to browse. 

There is also this Flickr album of period colour images, again, random, but lots of very useful images for detail and how the real things wear and stain.

HTH

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

I think treaded tyres only became common when operation mainly from concrete runways, which was post war.   I don't recall seeing treaded Spitfire tyres during the war.  @Magpie22 @Peter Roberts @gingerbob  would be good to ask.   

ah, 

Hint, the site serach does not work well, but you can search here via Google, try "britmodeller spitfire tyre tread" which is how I found the above.

World War Photos have 5 galleries of Spitfire photos here, over 600 photos

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/uk/raf/

it's a very random selection, and the captions can be wrong,   but lots of useful images if you have time to browse. 

There is also this Flickr album of period colour images, again, random, but lots of very useful images for detail and how the real things wear and stain.

HTH

Hello Troy, many thanks for your super-interesting infos! I read a couple of posts, that I finded as per your suggestion, and saw many pictures in World War Photos galleries.

I have understand Spits IX that operated in non-paved runways had smooth tyres, as well-explainend in the post I linked above.

Next I will place order for some aftermarket, and there will also be smooth tires. 😀

Ciao!

M

• Like 1

Great choice of subjects. 401 squadron was part of 126 Wing, so other photos from that Wing in the same time frame will give some clues to details.

This link contains microfiche of 401 Operations Record Book. The information is not always easy to find but some interesting tidbits of details can be found.

https://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oocihm.lac_reel_c12266

I've had my own detective work on my Spitfire build. Good luck, I will follow to see your work.

Perhaps this photo offers better resolution? You can see the serial number is partially covered by the D-Day stripes. Yes the wheels are 5 spoke but you will see photos of the covers installed in a similar time frame.

Ktu47vr.jpg

Another 401 Spitfire but with upper stripes removed. I think sometime in August 1944 all stripes were removed.

pBZLdCF.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I found another picture of a 125 Wing Spitfire, same period, smooth tires(tyres for my British friends) and wheel covers installed.

7aAI26f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Marvel said:

Hello mates, some ideas about wheels, please? Smooth or treaded?

Thanks for your help!

Ciao!

M

For my money, I would go with smooth tyres for this subject. The dirt on the tyre is not sufficiently patterned IMHO.

Treaded tyres were common on Australian based/RAAF Spitfires during WW2. I am sure I recall seeing them on Spitfires (and Seafires) in other theatres but will leave that to others with more knowledge. :)

Guys, my biggest thanks to all of you for this fantastic material about Spit IX and your help!!! 🤩

Today I will place my order for extras! Next time I will show progress on this job.

Ciao!

M

• Like 1

Hi guys, the first assemblies started (photos soonest) and the accessories are coming.

I ask for advice on colors: Gunze Mr. Color or MRP? Has anyone got to use one or others? Impressions on color fidelity?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Ciao!

M

• Like 1

• Marvel changed the title to Spit Mk. IXc Late - Edu 1/48 - Which colours?
2 hours ago, Marvel said:

I ask for advice on colors: Gunze Mr. Color or MRP?

I've starting using Mr Color thinned with Mr Color leveling thinner and results are excellent. Mr Color has a good reputation for accuracy with the color matches and when used with a lacquer thinner are very smooth so not a lot of gloss is required before decal application. I have no experience using MRP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baldwin8 said:

I've starting using Mr Color thinned with Mr Color leveling thinner and results are excellent. Mr Color has a good reputation for accuracy with the color matches and when used with a lacquer thinner are very smooth so not a lot of gloss is required before decal application. I have no experience using MRP.

Many thanks, mate!

M

Hi guys, a few steps forward with the Spit. For this kit I would like to use the Black Basing technique, of which I saw various examples on the net and that intrigues me a lot. To do gym he decided to use it on the interiors too. It will not be seen much at the end of work, but, as I said, it is used to practice.

First pieces primer in black with Mr. Finishing 1500 Black:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Various tests to understand which interior green was more responding. The choice fell on the old Aircraft Colors 6120, even the most similar to the Federal Standard...IMHO:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then with the new GSI airbrush Creos PS771 I tried to make the staining, but maybe I should have made it smaller and less faded:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Interior Green AC 6120:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Unfortunately on the pictures the effect is not as visible as with the naked eye.

Comments and suggestions always welcome.

Ciao!

M.

Edited by Marvel
  • Like 10

• Marvel changed the title to Spit Mk. IXc Late - Edu 1/48 - Painting the interior

Hello guys, steps forward with the Spit. Tubing in scratch with copper wires in the frontal cockpit part:

spacer.png

Sidewalls, central part and  seat at a good point. Some things are still missing but I hope in the next few days to finish them:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Other details of the cockpit:

spacer.png

spacer.png

And then the painful notes. I went to give the aluminum Alclad II on the back of the fuselage but twice the finish came to me grainy!

The first time I went back to Micromesh 6000 and then with 2000 paper wet because I didn't like it with micromesh. Tried with the Alclad II aluminum but the same result: grainy finish. I put some photos but you don't really appreciate:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Maybe a too old Alclad varnish? Next time I will try with a new one.....🫰

Ciao!

M.

• Like 7

Thanks for apreciation, Mick!☺️

Some updates about this buddy. Fuselages were retouched with a new bottle of Alclad aluminum and this time no grains, proves that the previous color was perhaps too old and the solvent probably partially evaporated. Unfortunately I have no photos of the retouching ....

I went ahead with the brassin cockpit and it was going well, the surprises would then arrive.... First, the resin sidewall are shortest compared with fuselages place, resulting a portion without paint....🤬. After swearing I retouched the fuselages with the Aluminium Alclad....

spacer.png

Eduard brassin cockpit:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I decided to put the pedal cables too:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then an atrocious doubt and the secon bad surpise: by removing the support, the floor had bended making it impossible to mount it with the walls without shattering some details:

spacer.png

Think and think I decided to create an aluminum support  at work, with the same low shape as the side panels. Then I started bringing it back. Unfortunately, the pedal cables have been sacrificed. Amen, were practically invisible once everything mounted, but the last word is not yet called:

spacer.png

spacer.png

As you can see, the profile was recovered, thanks also to the small thickness of the same. A torrent of cyano has sealed the combination of resin and aluminum ....

Then I started a series of dry tests of the lateral walls, with small adjustments on the joints, performed with cutter and Rifloris files:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Everything seems to come back, therefore .... why not try a dry assembly even in the fuselage:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The mating is really good, despite the fact that the adhesive tape keeps the cockpit together.
I hope not to make other bullshit.

The next step is to glue everything in a good position, proceeding one step at a time. Then I will have to somehow remove the aluminum template because the wing is not fit with the fuselage if the template is on.

I will have to sweat cold again. Either I can blow it up slowly or I will have to go to the mini-drill and light alloys tools ...

Comments and suggestions always welcome!

Ciao!

M.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hi guys, work on the brassin cockpit is proceeding. In advance, however, I wanted to verify the effect of the Loctite glue remover on the resin parts. To do this, I used a spare support  by the Brassin Eduard cockpit.
After 20 min:

spacer.png

After 3 hours:

spacer.png

After 10 hours:

spacer.png

At this point, always on the same audition, I put a drop of Colla 21 cyano, and after a couple of days I removed it with the glue remover:

spacer.png

I would say that the test has been overcome. After almost 3 hours I removed the mess and  the audition has resulted clean and not damaged. When I have finished arranging the Brassin Cockpit I will start the removal phase of the aluminum template.

Meanwhile, some photos of the same cockpit. I almost managed to re-build the rudder pedal cables and re-gluing the connection bar to the cloche that runs under the seat. When I have also mounted the RH side I will definitively fix the pedal -to -headed cables.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then I managed to remove aluminium template:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Helping me with the tip of the cutter I putted the glue remover in the most difficult and profound points, then after about an hour I started leverage to blow up the template, continuing to apply a little bit-all gradually. In the end he came away quietly.
Then a nice washing with warm water and soap, helping me with an old toothbrush, and the glue remover has also disappeared.
I would feel like saying that this glue remover on resin accessories can be used quite quietly, after testing on pieces of waste for certainty.

Now I continue with the assembly and addition of details on the fuselages and the adjustment of the Brassin Cockpit, which it not be veeery good. It goes a little sanded in the bottom edges  because otherwise the wing is struggling to fit well in the fuselage.

Ciao!

M.

• Like 8

• Marvel changed the title to Spit Mk. IXc Late - Edu 1/48 - Removing cockpit template
  • 4 weeks later...

Good morning guys, some updates. The cockpit is finished and in the next few days I will try to fix it in the fuselage, close the same and go on with the work:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

In addition to the Eduard Brassin Cockpit , I also used elements and placards decals of the set Barracuda dedicated to the subject, which seemed to me better or absent in the Eduard set.
In addition, in scratch build, I made the spotlights and the Whobble pump, cables and pipes to give more realism.

Unfortunately, however, the resin cockpit does not fit perfectly into the wing, preventing the perfect closure, so armed with a mini-drill I dug the inside of the wing .... and I made a mess! Initially I had used milling cutter for plastic that "eats" a lot and I made a hole in the wing ....🤬

Then I set a milling cutter for steel and luckly I no done other mess....😅

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I will put a ball of Milliput well smoothly inside and outside, then with the mounted wing I will fix the blemish.

Ciao!

M.

• Like 10

• Marvel changed the title to Spit Mk. IXc Late - Edu 1/48 - Cockpit ready to be placed
On 6/6/2022 at 5:44 PM, baldwin8 said:

Great choice of subjects. 401 squadron was part of 126 Wing, so other photos from that Wing in the same time frame will give some clues to details.

This link contains microfiche of 401 Operations Record Book. The information is not always easy to find but some interesting tidbits of details can be found.

https://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oocihm.lac_reel_c12266

I've had my own detective work on my Spitfire build. Good luck, I will follow to see your work.

Perhaps this photo offers better resolution? You can see the serial number is partially covered by the D-Day stripes. Yes the wheels are 5 spoke but you will see photos of the covers installed in a similar time frame.

Ktu47vr.jpg

Another 401 Spitfire but with upper stripes removed. I think sometime in August 1944 all stripes were removed.

pBZLdCF.png

Looking the clearer shot you can see that it is a Spit IXc , but the builder is using an e-wing kit