1/48 - de Havilland Canada DHC-2/L-20A/U-6A Beaver by Dora Wings - 3D renders+sprues lay out - release in 2024 ?

Homebee

9 hours ago, Ali62 said:

So how should these be different Paul, interested to know what you would like different.

I'm just saying the images of the proposed interior and exterior roof top fittings look the same. NOT complaining.!!!  But  would like to see a civilian alternative rather than military all the time.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Paul J said:

I'm just saying the images of the proposed interior and exterior roof top fittings look the same. NOT complaining.!!!  But  would like to see a civilian alternative rather than military all the time.

Oh ok Paul that is great, just thought you may have known something different.

I think we are all pleased with this, and I am sure that the guys at Dora will offer some alternatives, they are already looking into the various float options as we have seen.

I made some enquiries myself to get information and drawings on this but it is not easy to get good definitive information.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Looking very good indeed! Both types of strakes are shown, a nice option, especially with all the civilian operators today. Hopefully a 3 blade propeller with spinner will be another option? Most Beavers around here (Pacific Northwest) have had 3 bladed props fitted for quite some time, due to noise abatement laws.

Looking forward to it.

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 2

On 8/5/2022 at 3:57 PM, MrB17 said:

Looking very good indeed! Both types of strakes are shown, a nice option, especially with all the civilian operators today. Hopefully a 3 blade propeller with spinner will be another option? Most Beavers around here (Pacific Northwest) have had 3 bladed props fitted for quite some time, due to noise abatement laws.

Looking forward to it.

Cheers

Jeff

Yes to the three bladed prop.

Edited by Scooby
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

I can't wait for this..... I loved the Airfix 1/72 kit, and built a few of them and have some still in the stash, but this at 1/48 is AWESOMELY good, and like mentioned earlier, maybe one day the Otter.... but I don't want to get ahead of the game, this is so cool, and a real and true bush plane ..... FINALLY !!

Thank you Dora Wings !

Jeff

5 hours ago, SAT69 said:

I would very much like to see an Otter kit!

5 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

In 1:48, of course - and from there 'tis but a hop, skip and jump to a Twotter ...

Yes, of course the Twotter too!

Edited by Scooby

On 9/23/2022 at 11:55 AM, Britman said:

Does anyone here know of any decals for Baxter Air of Vancouver. The reason of course is that it was the first floatplane that I had the pleasure of flying in. Looking forward to this kit any way.

Keith 

Maybe Above and Below Graphics, who are re-opening at the end September 30th.

• Like 1

On 23/09/2022 at 18:55, Britman said:

Does anyone here know of any decals for Baxter Air of Vancouver. The reason of course is that it was the first floatplane that I had the pleasure of flying in. Looking forward to this kit any way.

Keith 

Likewise for me. My flight was in 2002. Still got the T shirt! The fleet got absorbed by Harbour Air.

• 9 months later...
On 23/09/2022 at 18:55, Britman said:

Keith 

I did my  very first zBeaver flight in a Baxter one back in 2002. An hours triptook us to Phantom Lake up on the mountains and then back to the city. Since then I have done two more. One from Prince Rupert in sn Inland Air Beaver in 2004 and 2017 a Harbour Air one which was an ex Baxter one

So I too would like to do a Baxter Beaver  one in 72 and maybe 48 in Harbour Air colours.

• Like 1

On 25/09/2022 at 00:23, Scooby said:

Maybe Above and Below Graphics, who are re-opening at the end September 30th.

Above and Below are the former CanMilair decal range and predominantly military subjects. Sadly no civil markings in the range that I know of.

On 9/23/2022 at 10:55 AM, Britman said:

Keith 

I wish! I want to do a Baxter Aviation Beaver as well, never flown on one, but my brother and I painted quite a few when we were with Victoria Air Maintenance, including Baxter’s. 

Although I used to print custom ALPS decals, I think laser or quality inkjet would look a bit nicer on the white paint. I remember the outline stripes on the fuselage were a 1” space with a 1” outline stripe, red on the red and maroon on the maroon. I can’t remember the dimensions of the wing bands, but counting the corrugations on the underside of the flaps would work for that. Fuselage registration was 6” high and under port wing was 20” high (Transport Canada regulations). Floats were just aluminium lacquer, they suffer from dock rash and are easily touched up, a few small dents, actually several would add a lot of realism. Another easily added feature would be the dock handling ropes hanging from the tie down loops just outboard of the wing struts, a paddle tied to the float struts was common as well. The Baxter Aviation logo was vinyl and Tom Baxter would usually bring them when he dropped off a Beaver for a strip and paint. Tom was a class act and very down to earth, a real pleasure to deal with. The big doors all had bubble windows and one maybe two had the double sightseeing windows aft of that.

Baxter Aviation was sold to Westcoast Air, and they simply removed the Baxter logo and replaced it with “WESTCOAST AIR” and the trademark seagull applied inside the red on the fin and rudder, with a fleet number on the bottom of the pilot’s doors. Harbour Air took them over and they were completely repainted. Now most are Whistler Air, part of the Harbour Air fleet.

Beavers were a treat to work with and paint, up from the Pat Bay float dock on a tug in the morning and disassembled and on scab gear (makeshift welded frame with wheels) by lunchtime. The one I would do is C-FAWA, I took a photo of it in the early 70’s flying over my house when it was with Air West (later Air BC). So when it showed up for a repaint, I was pleasantly surprised. Another favourite of mine was Northwest Seaplanes in overall deep yellow with orange and brown trim and stripes and a First Nations salmon on the fin.

Most traffic in and out of Victoria inner harbour is now turbine Otters and Twotters. Beavers are more prevalent in the tourist season with sightseeing tours.

I would love a 1/48 Otter as well, flown one (wheels) and painted many. Options for turbine or radial would be an asset, as most are now converted. My personal choice would be radial.

Cheers

Jeff

• Thanks 2