1/48 - de Havilland Canada DHC-2/L-20A/U-6A Beaver by Dora Wings - 3D renders+sprues lay out - release in 2024 ?

Homebee

23 minutes ago, dora said:

Work on the 3D model is at the final stage.
Due to errors in the first 3d model, we will make a completely new one.

Dora Wings Fairey Delta FD.2 thread is here:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235033014-172-fairey-delta-fd2-by-dora-wings-3d-renders-release-in-2022/

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, GTX said:

Any news if the Beaver will come with floats?

spacer.png

If they don’t offer floats that would put a serious dent in their sales, as the vast majority of currently operated Beavers are on floats. Question is, who’s floats will they offer? Looks like classic Wipline amphibious floats in your photo, which I have dealt with in 1/1, but they are extremely expensive floats and not too common. Edo floats were much more common and less expensive, there are other float manufacturers as well, and that may be a feature taken up by aftermarket companies for the less common types. The Beaver above, features the Kenmore designed strakes on the horizontals and a ventral strake. The original ventral strake was elliptical, but a lot of Beavers equipped with the Kenmore strakes do not feature a ventral strake, if they do, it’s the same as the photo. That’s an easy scratch build however. The Beaver above also features a STOL kit modification to the wings, note the extended drooped leading edge and the drooped tips, as well as wing fences, the original wingtips were Aluminium and were also fuel tanks. This Beaver has the standard 2 blade propeller, but a lot of Beavers now have a 3 blade propeller with spinner, mainly due to noise abatement. When I painted them, they were usually put on scab gear and had the wings removed, which made life much easier for us.

Jeff

• Like 3

4 hours ago, John_W said:

Ooh, very nice. Can we hope fore some more Bush Planes? Norseman, Otter, Auster?

Choroszy Modelbud makes a resin 1/72 Norseman that completely erraticates the horrifying Matchbox atrocity. The Modelcraft 1/48 Norseman is just a blow up of the Matchbox kit. So yes, we need a new accurate 1/48 Norseman. I think Matchbox measured up a Norseman with a metallized fuselage, very rare and takes away some of the stringer lines, the fabric wings are about the worst rendition of fabric I have ever seen, they forgot to tighten and shrink the fabric haha. 

Jeff

I live about a mile from Wipaire in Minnesota and on the bluff above the float plane base they have on the Mississippi so my vote is for the Wipaire floats.  Yes they are expensive but they are the best and as long as we are only talking about plastic we should have the best.  But aftermarket floats for other brands should be made as people will want to build specific aircraft.  Anyway, I am 100% in for this kit!!!  I just think these are such iconic aircraft and with so many beautiful schemes.

• Like 3

Eugen,

Happy to see that the 1/72 FD-2 has not been cancelled !  I will buy one as soon as it will be available.  I hope that you will release other British prototypes in 1/72 in the future.  Do you have the book about British prototypes from Barry Hygate ?  I have this book and it is a treasure, because you have 1/72 drawings of all British experimental aircraft inside it !

On 02/06/2022 at 18:17, mr.T said:

yay! No more ridiculous eBay prices for the Hobbycraft ones... :)

But I expect it won't be far off silly prices. I would love to  add this to my1/72 Beavers though. And do one of the ones I have flown in off water  in Canada! 🇨🇦 

• Like 1

I personally second the call for a 1/48 Twin Otter, can be offered on wheels, floats and skis, short and long nosed versions, military and civilian, and NEVER kitted in this scale before!

• Like 4

Some Body needs to do a turboprop conversion. I'd be delighted if Dora Wings would offer such a boxing. But, no matter who or how, such an offering would require more kits in my stash. Just sayin...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tail-Dragon said:

I personally second the call for a 1/48 Twin Otter, can be offered on wheels, floats and skis, short and long nosed versions, military and civilian, and NEVER kitted in this scale before!

With you, bro!

On 6/10/2022 at 3:23 AM, Julien said:

75502671.jpg

I must say I'm quite disappointed with this post, mainly because it took two pages before somebody made it! 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

3 minutes ago, NAVY870 said:

I must say I'm quite disappointed with this post, mainly because it took two pages before somebody made it! 😎

Standards are sadly slipping!

• Like 3

On 6/9/2022 at 10:19 AM, Tail-Dragon said:

Yes, I obviously agree.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Vitaly said:

Does somebody have nice drawings for the Wipline and EGO floats?

For the Wipline floats, I would contact Wipaire directly, they would also have the rigging diagrams. Here are a few EDO float diagrams, although they don’t have info on the amphibious versions, the proportions are accurate. Note that the sides of the floats for larger aircraft ie. Otter, Beaver, Norseman are not flat, but have a gentle curve. When I repainted floats, I also had to add anti slip sections along the top. I will try to find the rigging diagrams, but you might want to contact Kenmore Air, or Viking Air for those. The bracing rigging was stainless steel airfoil section, while the rigging for the water rudders was standard stainless steel cable. There are lots of clear photos of the aforementioned floats, installed on the Beaver, on the net. Hope this helps you out. If I can be of further assistance, pm me. I have had a lot of hands on experience with the DHC-2 and 3.

1E81A57A-07A3-426C-BE1A-8D4A80DF99C0

7E905064-B883-46B8-91D5-E2794C879AC9 E6EF9BA3-5B86-4991-9375-8672EE5E3004 53CE9AF9-AC30-49A7-8225-83261BD09F86

Yours truly on the steps of a DHC-3 with the STOL conversion on the wings, this was originally an Alaska bird, and I believe Kenmore Air converted it to turbine not long after the photo was taken. The colours were 55 Ford Ermine white with 70 Ford Calypso Coral, really pretty.

Jeff

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, MrB17 said:

Here are a few EDO float diagrams

Thank you, I have this diagrams, but unfortunately this information is not enough. I wrote a letter to Wipaire, but it is unlikely that they will share information. Maybe you will have better luck.

Great news.....which I almost missed. Really looking forward to doing a couple of Indo-China War era examples plus the AAC one that my late father flew around in during the early 1970s in the Far East.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the above renders, I can't help thinking the interior and the antenna fit on the roof are very much like the Airfix1/72 kit. Still looking forward to this kit regardless.

On 7/2/2022 at 5:21 AM, Paul J said:

Looking at the above renders, I can't help thinking the interior and the antenna fit on the roof are very much like the Airfix1/72 kit. Still looking forward to this kit regardless.

So how should these be different Paul, interested to know what you would like different.

I feel sorry for manufacturers who post CAD images: on another similar post (different kit), someone even commented that they thought the nose looked too long! And that from a preliminary CAD image. Can't we just be happy to see new, interesting and detailed subjects being kitted? And incidentally, more than once I've seen comments posting erroneous information, which seems the ultimate insult to these manufacturers.

• Thanks 1