F-86A 1/72 kitbash?

At least it's not 1:1 scale: for many years this warbird Sabre flew in this red scheme, where in fact it should be green! (it's now been repainted). Additionally it had Maj James Jabara's name on the canopy rail, even though he never flew with this unit. One day someone will do a kit of this aircraft and portray it as a correct, period colour scheme :(

28851321251_c9a0d8dc05_h

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 06/06/2022 at 02:04, John Thompson said:

Here, once again, is Jennings Heilig's guide to Sabre wings; I hope it's helpful:

Sabre-Wings.jpg

Feel free to save it for future reference.

John

That is a great and very useful guide, just what's needed.....

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Paulaero said:

That is a great and very useful guide, just what's needed.....

Thanks, but I'm just the messenger - it's Jennings Heilig who deserves the real credit.

John

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Been doing some research on f-86A's to help make the decals, there isn't much out there in the way of profiles and photos etc, I did actually find a photo of the aircraft I was considering but it was missing the nose lettering so I've assumed Matchbox had something to work off and got it right, dunno when Ill actually brave home printing them but got a document ready anyway, was fun checking all the sizes f86a.png

Edited by PhantomBigStu

5 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

@PhantomBigStu Those markings should be in the rounded NAA house font. The Amarillo USAF font was only used on aircraft which had been through repaint at one of the Air Materiel Areas (McClellan, Brookley etc).

I've now found a photo of Miss Louise and that looks like Amarillo to me?  F-86-SABRE-RUDDER-PEDAL-2064-4.jpg

2 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

I've now found a photo of Miss Louise and that looks like Amarillo to me?  F-86-SABRE-RUDDER-PEDAL-2064-4.jpg

Nice find! The MB A was among my early kits - I didn't apply he decals as I couldn't make my mind up between Louise and The ArizANG bird. --- I agree with Duncan, no 45° corner cutting there, apart from the lower bar in the wing "F". I am not sure if it's also present on the fuselage; it rather looks like the upper bar is cut down the opposite direction, but that is probably a visual trick.

Further, none of these F-86As went through overhaul prior to going to Korea. The shot above was taken early in 1951 before some passed through FEAMCOM overhaul at Kisarazu. All wear the rounded NAA font here.

1 minute ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Ok, had a look and only comes up for 1/48. Guess I’ll have to try all my fonts, cheers  

Or try the Matchbox sheet? I dare say you'd find one on a well-known auction site?

16 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Further, none of these F-86As went through overhaul prior to going to Korea. The shot above was taken early in 1951 before some passed through FEAMCOM overhaul at Kisarazu. All wear the rounded NAA font here.

Or try the Matchbox sheet? I dare say you'd find one on a well-known auction site?

Surprisingly not seen the sheet come up yet, and just missed out on a cheap whole kit a fortnight ago...anyway I've had a play and I think I'm ok with the reuslts as long as I carefully cut the wing F and the tail of the 1's. f-86a2.png

• Like 2

I think the S in your font isn't quite right. If you look at the S on the wings, the stroke ends on the horizontal (like the amarillo).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to a fellow Bmer I have alll the decals bar the USAF for the wings, and looking at the sheet ealier seems the Hobbyboss kit I have the decals spare from are identical so I now have a full set of decals. Now I just have to find time and bravery to actually attempt this. Cheers to all for the help. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

A related question alebeit not about the A versiob, I've just received a Tasman Avon comnversion, which will leave me with a spare fuselage, I happen to also have the extended wings from the Hobbyboss F-40 that with some butchering can be made to fit the spare fuselage, theres the JASDF option I have from that kit but what other forces used the extended slated wings? 

Most air forces that flew the F-86F. I'd go for a USAF one: the Japanese F-86Fs are pretty much the standard for F-40s, and now that Airfix has done a recent one, so will be Norwegian Fs. Some air forces had theirs delivered with the 6-3 wing and later either applied the F-40 conversion kit or received later versions. Off the top of my head the others will be Portugal, Spain, Iran, Taiwan, Pakistan, Republic of Korea, Thailand, Philippines, Ethiopia, Bolivia, Venezuela, Colombia, Peru, Argentina. I'm sure I've missed a couple...

IIRC Aeromaster did a decal sheet for USAF 'service' F-86F-40s but a training machine might be cool too (lots of dayglo!).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Thanks Sabrejet, found some colorful profiles of Portuguese and camouflaged South American F40's hopefully I can eventually find some decals in due course :)

I have a shed load of Sabre decals (mainly 1.72), let me know if there is an option somewhere you want

• 10 months later...
On 6/11/2022 at 5:27 PM, Tony Edmundson said:

just another example of misinformation here;  the HB wing is a 6-3 wing, NOT a narrow chord.

BUT, it does have a 'bloated belly' of the 'D' .

you can tell a 6-3 wing as it covers a portion of the ammo door, while a narrow chord wing does not.

Tony

Comment past me by at time, just got my spare HB 6-3 Slatted wing out to see if could kit bash the academy kit and now I see that bloated belly, will check layer to see if the slatted wing is the same, a really stupid error from HB and if the F30 is also afflicted that the kit ruined  for me.

I do have a question though, currently sawing the wings from the F40 away from the belly, what would I need to cut aside from the tip extensions to turn them in to A-E wings 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

5 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Comment past me by at time, just got my spare HB 6-3 Slatted wing out to see if could kit bash the academy kit and now I see that bloated belly, will check layer to see if the slatted wing is the same, a really stupid error from HB and if the F30 is also afflicted that the kit ruined  for me.

I do have a question though, currently sawing the wings from the F40 away from the belly, what would I need to cut aside from the tip extensions to turn them in to A-E wings 

You would have to reduce the wing chord: 6 inches at the root and 3 at the tip (measured on the real aircraft). Plastic would have to be removed behind the slats area

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

e9nFBIX.jpg