1:48 DH Chipmunk 5 AEF Cambridge

• Inverted changed the title to 1:48 DH Chipmunk 5 AEF Cambridge

I lost my virginity to a Chipmunk.... No, I mean, I had my first AEF flight in a T mk 10....  Or something.  Anyway, that's a beauty, and a much-loved aircraft.

• Thanks 1

Very nice.  :goodjob:  I too have WB627 in my log book from my staff cadet days  :pilot:.  I'm currently doing WP979 in an earlier variation of the same scheme: I must get on and finish it!

6 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Thanks Chris. and congrats on the certificate to remember the event I would not remember 627 as I was a member of 5AEF some 20 years earlier.

Colin

I rather think it arrived on the AEF sometime in the mid-1970s; this was when the Chipmunk fleet was undergoing refurbishment.  Gradually the aircraft we had, which were in overall grey with dayglo striping, went off for refurbisment, to be replaced with aircraft in the red/white/grey scheme.  Examples of the old scheme were WK577, WP861 and WG458; new aircraft included WP970 (c/w glider tug fit), WP979, WB652, and of course WB627.  I don't recall that the new aircraft had the hi-vis black/white prop striping, I think that came later.

Incidentally, a rough rule of thumb: Red/white/grey scheme or later had 5-point seat harnesses; aircraft in earlier schemes had four-point. 

• Like 1

Very nice build, evokes many memories of being a staff Cdt at RAF Newton , doing running engine changes. strapping cdts in and sending them off.....

Health and safety would have a few words about that today !!

• Like 1

I don't recall that the new aircraft had the hi-vis black/white prop striping, I think that came later.

This was promulgated in 1977. Because it was a marking (as opposed to a colour scheme) the change-over was fairly rapid.

• Like 1