Tamiya 1:48 SUPERMARINE SPITFIRE Mk. Vb

Hi Folks,

Well, finally finished the Spitfire and had a lovely time doing so. See pictures below.

Thanks to all involved in giving sound instruction and advice, particularly, @Troy Smith with all his accurate information and @Ngantek with his marvellous encouragement, a true wordsmith 👍

IMG_6718

IMG_6719

IMG_6720

IMG_6722

IMG_6723

IMG_6726

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Lovely job! I'm making the Tamiya 1/72 offering for the Canadian group build and I'll be delighted if it comes out half as well as this one.

Thanks for sharing

Best regards 

Peter 

• Thanks 1

What a great build in the end, as @colin says, well worn but not stylised. It's turned out really well, especially given how many new techniques you were trying out for the first time. I really like the streaks,  particularly around the radiator and cannon blisters.

How did the latter part of the build go? Your decals came out really well this time. It's great to see so much progress over so few builds. What's next on the bench?

• Thanks 1

Excellent Spitfire build and finish!

One thing, though: you'd better get rid of the ugly stick on top of the rudder and the aerial. 😉 The Mk V and following marks had VHF radios and the antenna was integral to the antenna mast, so no wire.

Kind regards,

Joachim

1 hour ago, Ngantek said:

How did the latter part of the build go? Your decals came out really well this time. It's great to see so much progress over so few builds. What's next on the bench?

Thanks Chris.

Well the latter part went fine albeit trashing another canopy hood!!! This time, an accidental overspray with cyo accelerator landed on the canopy hood and kinda clouded the item up foggy style. Luckily Tamiya supplied 2 sliding hoods, so the one in the photos is for an other version of the model.

The decals were a real breeze this time. (after market set I bought) I did use the floor polish kleer before I applied and had no problem  (except spilling the micro set bottle 😒) I liked the wear effect that I used by applying the liquid mask in certain areas.

I'm going to start  an Me BF109 G2 Eduard profipack 1:48

1 hour ago, Spitfire31 said:

One thing, though: you'd better get rid of the ugly stick on top of the rudder and the aerial.

Thanks Joachim for noticing that. Its gone already 👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PlasticUtopia said:

This time, an accidental overspray with cyo accelerator landed on the canopy hood and kinda clouded the item up foggy style. Luckily Tamiya supplied 2 sliding hoods, so the one in the photos is for an other version of the model.

Yeah I don't trust that stuff at all, it always goes everywhere when I use it (usually backwards straight into my eye), and it's so volatile that it doesn't really work to decant it either. Be careful using CA on or close to clear parts, they can cloud up. Some kind of PVA is generally safer although the bond will be relatively weak.

Oddly, a dab of water on one surface and some CA on the other works pretty well as an accelerator when they meet. I find that much less messy than getting accelerator on everything.

109 should be fun! I'm going to shamelessly yoink that masking method when I next get the chance. 

Glad to see it finished. Great save on the paint colours, and I'm sorry to hear you're colour blind. Spitfires look great in this scheme.

Cheers,

Wlad