F-105F Wild Weasel - Da Nang, South Vietnam, May 1970 - 1/48 Revell/Monogram

Ray_W

4 hours ago, Dansk said:

might be easier to squeeze/sand in the fuse rather than splay the canopy?

then using a white glue rather than potential fogging from TET (as you wont need a strong glue then)

Thanks for the suggestion Paul. In the end I did sand the fuselage slightly to provide a closer fit and then used some minimal pressure to splay it a fraction. I still kept my usual method for gluing canopies using Tamiya Extra Thin and then a hair dryer to ensure no fogging. You can also see a slight gap on the sides that I will fill with some black Milliput. 

F-105G WIP116

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Nice job on the Shrike/pylon joint, looks like you should have a strong and realistic joint.

I know what you mean about the front canopy, the way it is joined to the sprue so securely makes you wonder if they want you to use it! It is also anything but a good fit on the fuselage but I think your method of slightly splaying it is probably the best way, just be careful not to crack it.

🇺🇦

Thankfully Craig it turned out OK. It is nice and clear. I'm happy with that.

Also finished the wing tip nav lights. I did not provide any light globes with little to see once the tinted. Looks like I have some fine polishing coming up judging by the scratches!

F-105G WIP117

Ray

• Like 5

Great job Ray! Love all the mods you did 👍

I glued several clear parts with CA glue. All you need is a good ventilation...just keep blowing air across the gluing surface...or dip the clear parts in Future before you glue them. 

Give it a try...dip a spare part in future and hold it over CA glue. You won't see any fogging. 

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, coneheadff said:

I glued several clear parts with CA glue. All you need is a good ventilation...just keep blowing air across the gluing surface...or dip the clear parts in Future before you glue them. 

Give it a try...dip a spare part in future and hold it over CA glue. You won't see any fogging. 

Thanks for the great suggestion. I got by with my usual with the Tamiya Extra Thin and a hair dryer. Similar process as you describe with CA. I had heard about the Future technique. One to keep in mind for a tricky closed up canopy job. These days I do tend to prefer polishing canopies. 

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

has to be one of the most nerve wracking parts of a build.

Second only to decals.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ray_W said:

These days I do tend to prefer polishing canopies. 

And so do I, but I still use Future if I need to remove a seam line on modern canopies or if a canopy needs a coating. I did this on my Super Hornet build and it looks great.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ray_W said:

using Tamiya Extra Thin and then a hair dryer to ensure no fogging

Clever, clever. 
Your method produced a great result. Added to my list of this to try. 

Neat NAV light as well 👍🏽

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sam said:

Added to my list of this to try. 

I'm am always using the hair dryer for my modelling work. In my case, that's definitely not for the catwalk, rather, drying paints, glue and heating and bending. A useful bit of modelling kit, always kept handy.

10 hours ago, PattheCat said:

It will certainly come out as a stunner.

Thank you for the kind remarks. I am really happy with how it's coming together.

F-105G WIP119

Looking forward to getting into scribing (yes really), but, I keep playing around with the finish and enhancing a few bits and pieces. You can see in the above image, I have removed the 4 triangular antenna from around the nose. I had done a good job of preserving these while fitting the radome. Then, of course, I discovered that they were not fitted to my chosen subject. Oh well, could of saved myself the trouble. We'll put it down to filing and sanding practice.

Sadly the project is now hangered for a couple of weeks due to work commitments. This model does need a big box. 

F-105G WIP118

I have left a few parts out to work on if time permits. I am removing the moulded hose details (left side strut below is done) and will replace with something slightly smaller in diameter and more 3D in appearance. Not too difficult with a new hobby blade/scalpel and care. Actually, the Monogram rendition is not too bad. I expect they would paint up nicely. I was tempted to preserve the hose detail on the gear covers. Not to be. I am thinning those so will also replace that hose detail. I am still deciding if I want to drill the struts and strengthen with an internal brass rod. The scissor links on the actual aircraft are petite and not in keeping with the whole aircraft or Monogram's representation. I might thin them down or replace them. If that's the case I'll definitely pin the legs. I'll have to check the oleo length. Are they too extended? 

F-105G WIP120

Ray

• Like 5

7 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Be careful with the landing gear as it is very flimsy.

Maybe a good reason to leave as is. 

• Like 1

While researching wheel well and gear door colours (I am leaning towards interior green wells and aluminium gear doors) I stumbled upon this image in Lou Drendels's book.

F-105G WIP122

What really got me excited is I think this is a same day starboard side image of my chosen subject:

F-105G WIP121

I can't see the yellow ramp marker under the nose (possibly it got pushed around), but the other details agree including the flight helmet on the windscreen. 

Rarely do you find such. Now I am on the hunt for a better image of the original.

Ray

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Sam said:

How‘s it going Ray?

Hi Sam,

On pause while I try to meet my 2022 GB commitments. If I put my name down for a GB I like to finish or at least participate and post. I'm into my Meteor at the moment and expect I will get that one finished within time. Then an armoured car (OOB) before swinging back to the Thud.  Looking forward to getting back to it. 

Ray

• Like 2

Hello Ray,

thanks for the news update, I am looking forward to see more of your Thud build. 

I went over to the Meteor GB and checked out your build, very nice👍🏽

Keep up the great work and informative posts, see you around. 

Sam