Crusader Mk. III - Border Model - 1/35

Hello everyone,

This is my take on Border Model's Crusader Mk. III tank. Mark III was the first version of Crusader (and maybe even the first version of cruiser tanks) that crews actually liked. Beside the 6 pdr as a great improvement over 2 pdr mounted on all previous tanks, most of the reliability issues that plagued previous cruiser tanks were finally sorted out. However, it came too little to late, and after brief use at the late stages in NA theater (El Alamein and after and Operation Torch) it was retired and used only as specialized vehicles.

This model should represent 3rd County of London Yeomanry tank, as seen on a reference photos from the beginning of 1943. 3rd CLY arrived in North Africa in September 1941. They were taking part in Operation Crusader, Gazala Battles and battle of Alam Halfa, where they fought as a composite regiment together with 4th CLY. They suffered great casualties during these engagements and did not take part in the Battle of Alamein, as they were out of the line, retraining and re-fitting, near Cairo. The training continued until early 1943, and during this time they received a number of 6 pdr Crusader and Sherman tanks. First Crusader Mk. III tanks were received on January 19th and soon participated in trials. They were compared with the Sherman III's that the unit received at the same time. Here are some comments about it's performance from the was diaries:

The 6pdr was fired by 50 all ranks and proved very accurate at ranges from 1500 yards. 

Little mechanical trouble was experienced with Crusader 6pdr tanks - possibly the new Crusaders are more reliable.

C Squadron went to ranges ref Cairo Black Hill 610809 and carried out an AP shoot from 6pdr Crusaders. The 6pdr was found to be extremely accurate weapon but difficulty was experienced in observation of fire owing to the flash and blast of the gun.

However, at the end, Sherman Mk. III was selected, and all received Crusaders were sent away to be replaced by Shermans. Not sure where these Crusaders ended up, probably as replacements in other units.

After North Africa, 3rd CLY was sent to Sicily, where they landed on July 10th July as part of 4th Armoured Brigade.

It's not certain how these tanks were painted. However, high contrast on black and white photos suggests that it was probably Desert Pink ZI/Dark Olive Green PFI combination, which was the than actual scheme for newly issued tanks, so I decided to go with that one. Model was painted with MRP lacquers and some Gunze and Vallejo for detail painting, and weathered with MIG's nature effects and VMS pigments.

Model was mostly built OOB. The only additions are tow cables (not sure why Border Model haven't included them?), aerials, and some wiring. Decals were also changed with Archer Fine Transfers decals, because Border's squadron markings provided are not correct.

In General, Border Model is a great, well balanced kit. The only issues worth mentioning are missing tow cables, wrong markings and tracks. Tracks actually look quite nice, except awful pin marks. Also, once assembled, they are very fragile, I managed to break them few times. 

And here are the reference photos. There are few more shots online of the same tank.

Thanks for looking, and thanks for feedback!

Cheers,

Nenad

• Like 49
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, APA said:

Lovely build of a great subject Nenad 👍 weathering is spot on and the scheme works for me. A classic given justice 👏

Andrew 

Thank you Andrews.

8 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

That's another beautiful model that you've produced there Nenad. Nice work.

John.

Thank you John.

8 hours ago, fittedkitchens said:

That's a cracker! Great result.

Thank you.

3 hours ago, Milan Mynar said:

Great built.

Thank you Milan.

1 hour ago, Steve27752 said:

Very nicely done, one question? What does the barrel/tank at the back contain?

Thank you Steve. It's auxiliary fuel tank. Usually used in desert where great distances had to be passed without refueling. On Matildas, Valentines, and different Cruisers.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Nenad Ilijic said:

Thank you Andrews.

Thank you John.

Thank you.

Thank you Milan.

Thank you Steve. It's auxiliary fuel tank. Usually used in desert where great distances had to be passed without refueling. On Matildas, Valentines, and different Cruisers.

A bit of an easy target then?

• Like 1

Hi, Nenad
I already understand that you will not pamper us with poor-looking models, so I resigned myself to the harsh reality, in which all your tanks look great. And this one, without a doubt, too. :)

Vytautas

• Thanks 1

On 6/3/2022 at 3:15 PM, Steve27752 said:

A bit of an easy target then?

Well yeah. At least it's in the back. As I remember, A10 had it at the front.

On 6/3/2022 at 5:35 PM, vytautas said:

One question: did you glue the tracks in one piece or leave them workable?

Thank you Vytautas. I made them workable at first, but they were very fragile, and I managed to break them few times while mounting them. So at the end, I had to glue some links together. So they are semi-workable now :)

On 6/4/2022 at 8:55 PM, Carius said:

Hi Nenad you did a great job indeed.

Cesar

Thank you Cesar.

On 6/5/2022 at 12:20 PM, FrancisGL said:

HI Nenad,

Another great addition to your desert warfare group.
I love the toned down black and the subtle wheathering.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

Thank you Francis, you are very kind.

Cheers,

Nenad

• Like 1

WOW!! Yet another absolutely stunning model Nenad!! Your modelling skills never fail to impress!! Such a realistic finish! Awesome! :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Thanks 1

On 6/7/2022 at 8:06 AM, PlaStix said:

WOW!! Yet another absolutely stunning model Nenad!! Your modelling skills never fail to impress!! Such a realistic finish! Awesome! :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Kind regards, 

Stix

Thank you Stix, you are so kind.

On 6/7/2022 at 2:39 PM, Muchmirth said:

Beautifully done. The dust is perfect!

Thank you Muchmirth.

• Like 1