RS Models 1/72 F-51H Mustang of the 156th FIS, Pennsylvania Air National Guard

Some of you may be following my 1/72 Glider thread, which is currently stalled awaiting some additional glider mojo to get onto the next build, a couple of Grunau Baby’s.

In parallel with that build, I have also been working on a several other 1/72 aircraft (no WIP for these). One of those builds was this one.......

So here is my rendition of the RS Models F-51H. First, the box art which is pretty striking and a scheme I seriously considered doing, but in the end opted for the all red (topside) aircraft. 

IMG20220601162342

And the rear shows the options available from this kit, all decals supplied within. The decals themselves were superb quality.

IMG20220601162357

In my experience, RS kits are quite a challenge to build but, IMHO they carry very subtle surface detail and seem to compare very well in accuracy and shape, when finally knocked into shape......... oh and I do quite like them!

This one was no less of a challenge, and certainly very basic when compared with the recent Arma Hobby P-51’s built on here by both @Procopius and @Cookenbacher. Those builds have inspired me to build a further mustang, from an Arma Hobby kit of course! So there you are Edward and Cookie, I've actually finished it!

As there was no WIP, here are a few shots in progress for those who like to see bare plastic.........

IMG20210610101135

IMG20210610101247

And just to prove there is something inside the cockpit. A bit close and cruel this one!

IMG20210610101555

After two coats of Tamiya LP-7 Red

IMG20220208161812

I used quite a cocktail of paints, having now got over my dread of mixing different types of acrylics, lacquers and enamels. Care and consideration in application is key of course, but mixing paint types does work if you are careful!

The whole model received a primer coat of Mig Ammo One Shot grey primer. This paint goes on beautifully straight from the bottle, airbrushed of course. The undersides were painted with AK Xtreme Metal Aluminium, and the topsides are Tamiya Lacquer LP-7 Pure Red. The grey undercoat helped to slightly dull the brightness of the red, which is what I was after. The wingtip black bands were masked and airbrushed using Tamiya semi-gloss black Acrylic. MRP’s gloss varnish was applied prior to decals, and after decals, followed by some very light oil washes. A final coat of MRP’s semi-gloss varnish sealed everything in. These MRP varnishes have become one of my favourite solutions for finishing coats.

I tried to keep weathering very subtle mostly using very light panel washes in slightly darker red brown on top, and grey undersides, as this aircraft was kept pristine for the 1954 gunnery meet. Learning my paint and weathering skills through watching Giorgio's @giemme builds! 

So, to the completed model. Shots are from my phone and the red seems to have come out very intense. In normal daylight it is slightly less so, and all of the very fine surface detail does indeed show up well!

IMG20220601170815

IMG20220601170821

IMG20220601170838

IMG20220601170845

IMG20220601170902

IMG20220601170912

IMG20220601170917

IMG20220601170923

IMG20220601170929

IMG20220601170934

IMG20220601171005

IMG20220601171010

IMG20220601171025

IMG20220601171145

IMG20220601171155

Some extra shots as @Winenut had quite rightly pointed out the panel washes were hard to see in the pictures. I think at certain distances, my mobile gets blinded by the red!

IMG20220602142904

IMG20220602142849

IMG20220602142836

IMG20220602142816

And finally a couple of shots with her older stablemates.

IMG20220601171309

IMG20220601171336

Comments/questions welcome

Thanks for looking and watch out for a QF-86E coming soon in RFI!

Terry

Edited by Terry1954
More pictures showing colser detail
  • Like 54

12 hours ago, noelh said:

Brilliant, I always liked the  the 'H'. The  red scheme is amazing. Somehow  it's a P51 Mustang but there's  nothing in common with the D.

Thanks. Yes, there is something both weird and beautiful about the H ....... to my eyes anyway!

12 hours ago, billn53 said:

I’m definitely fond of ANG birds, and Mustangs in particular. Well done!

Glad you like. Not enough ANG birds get seen IMHO.

11 hours ago, giemme said:

Amazing Pony in a catchy paint scheme! :clap:

Ciao 

Thanks Giorgio! I aspire to be like those I learn from 😉

10 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Beautiful work! I don't know why, but seeing an H (be it real or model) always makes me smile.

Thanks you. Seems that more folk than I realised like to see an H. I'll do another sometime in NMF I reckon.

9 hours ago, Lewis95 said:

Beautiful finish on that bud. Certainly a standout scheme for a Pony :D

Thanks. It's probably going to be the brightest Mustang I ever build!

5 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

That is stunning Terry, you managed to make a Mustang that matches the elegance of your gliders - what a scheme!

Thank you Cookie, glad you like! It will be refreshing to build an Arma Hobby Mustang though, must get myself one (or two) of those as I have grown quite a liking to Mustangs.

Thanks again all for very kind comments.

Terry

• Like 2

I love it!

Different and interesting Mustang

Would have enjoyed seeing a bit of a stonger panel line/pin wash just to bring out a bit more of the detail and lines of the build 

But I'm inspired and off to find a 'tang in the stash!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

That looks brilliant Terry, literally so in fact with that striking red finish, what a show off. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve!

1 hour ago, SAT69 said:

That's different in a wonderful way! Very nice application of the red paint.

Thanks. I like red!

41 minutes ago, Winenut said:

I love it!

Different and interesting Mustang

Would have enjoyed seeing a bit of a stonger panel line/pin wash just to bring out a bit more of the detail and lines of the build 

But I'm inspired and off to find a 'tang in the stash!

Thanks. You will see I have added four pics to the original set at the start. See what you think?

Terry

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

What an excellent choice, Terry. It is exactly the one I would have built :). Nicely built!

Martin

Thanks Martin, I thought you'd like it! 😁

Ever tempted to do an H to add to your very smart band of P-51's?

Terry

22 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Thanks Martin, I thought you'd like it! 😁

Ever tempted to do an H to add to your very smart band of P-51's?

Terry

Maybe ;) I actually fancy a F-84D that was in the same scheme at the Gunnery meet :)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

F-84D that was in the same scheme at the Gunnery meet

I'd like to see that one. Got any pics?

Terry

8 hours ago, Mig88 said:

Lovely. Neat finish and great work!

Miguel

Thanks Miguel!

7 hours ago, Courageous said:

Lovely bright red pony, beautiful.

Now, where's that Sabre drone:coolio:.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart. I took a few pics of the finished Sabre drone, indending to post today, but then realised it still lacked the wing tank support struts. :doh: How could I have missed those! Struts now sorted and painted, waiting to be attached, so RFI tomoz perhaps when I've re done the pics.

Terry

• Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 11:36 PM, F-32 said:

Now that’s eye catching! Great work and wonderful choice of scheme

Thank you! I'm glad I chose that one now as it seems quite popular.

Terry

Terry, 

It`s nothing short of a miracle to get an RS kit to look this good.  A testament to your skills to bring this Hotel version of the Mustang to life.  

Bravo good sir!!!! :worthy:

Mike

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Terry, 

It`s nothing short of a miracle to get an RS kit to look this good.  A testament to your skills to bring this Hotel version of the Mustang to life.  

Bravo good sir!!!! :worthy:

Mike

Thank you Mike. I have to confess it did put up a fight!

6 minutes ago, François Escudé said:

Never seen a red mustang !! the job you've done on this RS kit is fantastic !! 

thanks for sharing  ! 

regards !

Thanks Francois, glad you like it!

Terry

• Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 11:10 PM, Terry1954 said:

Thanks Steve!

Thanks. I like red!

Thanks. You will see I have added four pics to the original set at the start. See what you think?

Terry

Wow the extra photos showed the wash much clearer

The detail looks great!

Well done indeed

Cheers

• Thanks 1