Arma Hobby 1/72 Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate

Here I am, late as usual! "Story of my life, Access" (remember that?).

Anyway, a couple of these brand new kits arrived at Victor Towers this morn hot-foot from Messrs Hannants, purveyors of fine models to the cognoscenti. And Arma don't disappoint (do they ever?).

Obligatory box and sprue shots:

IMG-4646.jpg

IMG-4647.jpg

IMG-4645.jpg

IMG-4644.jpg

The sprues are actually still a bit damp from where they've been washed! Superb detail, of course, and being the Expert Set boxing, I'll be building OOB. I haven't fully decided which scheme I'm going for, but the thought of could-be-yellow drop tanks is leading me toward the Ki-84 Ko of Capt Hatano. I even seem to have some of the specified paints in stock, which is a marvel and no mistake!

More soon and thanks for looking in.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 11

11 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Looks like a lovely kit and an interesting subject, will be along for the ride on this one!

11 hours ago, Mike said:

Coincidentally, I reviewed this kit today, and it's a little cracker.  Good luck with it :)

Thanks, chaps, it certainly looks like the dog's wotsits :) as we've come to expect from Arma, the parts are incredibly finely detailed. No doubt they'll assemble just as well..... :) PICNIC errors notwithstanding, of course :D

Cheers,

Mark

Made a start on this build yesterday, and as expected the kit doesn't disappoint! The mouldings are crisp, clean, refined and beautifully detailed.

I made good progress, assembling the cockpit frame and drilling out the lightening holes in the seat back. I would probably recommend adding the rudder pedals after the control column and second shorter stick-thing. Incidentally, adding these from underneath is very clever and ensures their correct orientation. The IP is yet to be added as it needs the decal adding over the gloss black. I also added the moulded and etched parts to the cockpit sidewalls. Sadly, one of the throttle levers had been etched through and its knob fell off. Ouchie! However, I think a tiny blob of PVA should fix that alright.

Last thing I did was to assemble the two engine banks and add the pushrods.

Cockpit parts had a coat of Mr Color #320 (which I seem to recall I bought for a Nakajima-built A6M Zero, and presumed they'd be using the same green!), the IP was gloss blacked and the engine silvered, both from Tamiya rattle cans.

IMG-4656.jpg

IMG-4650.jpg

Detail painting next, when my eyes can cope with it..... :) 

Thanks for stopping by!

Mark

• Like 12

Wow. Nice to see you tackling this.  I don't think there's been a good kit of the Frank since Hasagawa and that's been, what 40+ years?  I've been sorely tempted by this because it is my favorite Japanese fighter, but I've held off since I've completed two in the last couple of years (Coincidentally, Arma came out with a fabulous P-51B in the same year that I've completed 3 P-51Bs.  It figures. :( )

That cockpit detail is gorgeous.  Keep it up! :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, opus999 said:

Wow. Nice to see you tackling this.  I don't think there's been a good kit of the Frank since Hasagawa and that's been, what 40+ years?  I've been sorely tempted by this because it is my favorite Japanese fighter, but I've held off since I've completed two in the last couple of years (Coincidentally, Arma came out with a fabulous P-51B in the same year that I've completed 3 P-51Bs.  It figures. :( )

That cockpit detail is gorgeous.  Keep it up! :D 

Many thanks, my friend - I'll try to not foul it up! I've been meaning to go back through your two builds for some clues on interior detail colours: a pleasant diversion for this evening :) 

I've been quite tempted by Arma's Mustang, but I haven't succumbed yet. I've no doubt that I will, though..... :D 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Many thanks, my friend - I'll try to not foul it up! I've been meaning to go back through your two builds for some clues on interior detail colours: a pleasant diversion for this evening :) 

Thanks!  I hope it will be helpful.  I recall doing quite a bit of research... don't know if my choices were right, but at least they were well researched! 🤣

12 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

I've been quite tempted by Arma's Mustang, but I haven't succumbed yet. I've no doubt that I will, though..... :D 

Ugh... i know, right?  :D I'm sure it's just a matter of time for me too...

I've been laying low for the last few weeks.  I can't seem to find the time to post... and frankly I can't seem to find the energy to post.  But I hope to join the land of the living again this weekend by posting a couple of recent builds... terrible throwaway kits, but decent results... :) 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, opus999 said:

Thanks!  I hope it will be helpful.  I recall doing quite a bit of research... don't know if my choices were right, but at least they were well researched! 🤣

Just finished reading through the Frank/Tojo double build, and once again I'm completely blown away by those models. Amazing! I'm really keen to try the marbling undercoat technique and I think this could be a good subject, right after my long-suffering paint mule, of course :D The colours look perfect. I need to spend a bit more time on the Aviation of Japan site as I've kind of lost touch with it in recent months.

Ugh... i know, right?  :D I'm sure it's just a matter of time for me too...

There are some quite fantastic builds on here, as I'm sure you know! I'm keen to see what you'll make of it :) 

I've been laying low for the last few weeks.  I can't seem to find the time to post... and frankly I can't seem to find the energy to post.  But I hope to join the land of the living again this weekend by posting a couple of recent builds... terrible throwaway kits, but decent results... :) 

I know what you mean! I've been pottering along with my railway layout, then I thought "I ought to get on with my Matchbox Buffalo", not realising the GB finishes a fortnight on Sunday! Ah well! I'm intrigued to see what your recent builds are: I'm sure the results will more than decent, too!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

welcome along and wow what a nice looking model she is!!

For it's scale the detail looks super nice, at first sight you'd think it was 1/48th!

Good luck with the build, I think there'll be quite a bit of interest in this model.

• Like 1

Thanks, Rich, it really does have the potential to be superb (builder cock-ups notwithstanding!), so hopefully this build will at least be of interest to everyone!

I'm focusing a bit on my two Matchbox 50 builds, but I'll be back on this one soon with detail painting the office and getting the fuselage together.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Jason,

yes, its certainly well up to Arma's usual high standards - I just hope I can do it justice! I'll be on the look out for your build, too.

All the best,
Mark

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Jason,

yes, its certainly well up to Arma's usual high standards - I just hope I can do it justice! I'll be on the look out for your build, too.

All the best,
Mark

Well, I wouldn't wait for my build - who knows when I will get to it!

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Happy to see you modeling again, @2996 Victor! I'm watching this one with interest!

Thanks, ME, that's very kind of you! I've been mostly playing trains rather than planes, no automobiles yet although I've got a Matchbox MG TC to build for the HM Queen Platinum Jubilee GB.

This looks like being a corker of a kit. I haven't done any more yet, as I've got a couple of builds in the Matchbox 50 GB to try to finish by next Sunday! (The P-40N should make it alright but the Buffalo, well, who knows!).

I'm trying to broaden my horizons a bit, so that when the mojo dips in one area, there's something a bit different to get on with. So far, so good!

All the best,

Mark

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

Crikey, not sure what occurred here (well, I am sure - it got buried and its just been unearthed!) but its over seven months on, and this GB has long since ended. Anyways, I'll continue to do a bit to this one in between times so eventually it'll limp across the finish line!

Cheers for now,

Mark

• Like 1