Platinum Jubilee Flypast

Paul821

Knowing that there are a number of Britmodellers who live in the area can anyone recommend a good place between Ipswich and Chelmsford from which to view the flypast tomorrow. Looking at some of the maps online my plans at the moment will be Rivenhall as there are good views to the horizon there.

• Like 1

Currently sat outside the Southbank Centre with Mrs T, daughter and sis in law with a coffee, and going to move for a better view. The Mall and around Trafalgar Square absolutely solid at 9.30. Reckon we should get a reasonable view near the London Eye. 

• Like 2

Just  looking at Flightradar 24 right now. There's a loose formation of Typhoons over the North Sea, obviously getting ready for the flypast. Also There's a Voyager orbiting at less than 2000 feet nearby. Typhoon ZJ914 in the special paint scheme is orbiting overhead at 14000. Shortly to be joined it seems by two Hawks. 

Apparently there 70 aircraft in the flypast. The whole air force?

Edited by noelh
  • Haha 2

Saw it live from the Southbank roof terrace, fantastic, brilliant view, really smooth flying and organisation.

• Like 3

The route differed slightly in regards to flying over Ipswich, for as long as I can remember the flight has gone NE to SW over the A14/A12 junction at Ipswich but this time flew much more south and so therefore for the 1st time of actually trying to find a good spot we were in totally the wrong spot!!

No idea if the rest of the route deviated though

4 hours ago, Mr T said:

Saw it live from the Southbank roof terrace, fantastic, brilliant view, really smooth flying and organisation.

It was perfectly  executed. The Typhoons forming the 70 were impeccable.

Prince Louis  wasn't  impressed though😁

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jhutchi said:

@Paul821 I hope you didn't listen to my advice as everything was much further south from mine

I went to Rivenhall and while driving through the village came across a layby with a number of pre looking out over fields. Assumed they knew it might be the correct place for a good view. Turned out it was correct excellent view of approaching formations which passed overhead. Close to you I saw the RAF 100 fly past from White Clone but it was someway in the distance.

Most of my shots show similar formations to those over London. One difference was that the Red Arrows flew in two formations over Essex, the second of which was a missing man.

reds

• Like 2

On 6/2/2022 at 9:55 PM, Paul821 said:

I went to Rivenhall and while driving through the village came across a layby with a number of pre looking out over fields. Assumed they knew it might be the correct place for a good view. Turned out it was correct excellent view of approaching formations which passed overhead. Close to you I saw the RAF 100 fly past from White Clone but it was someway in the distance.

Hate to be pedantic but it was a joint service fly past ....just sayin'😋

7 hours ago, junglierating said:

Hate to be pedantic but it was a joint service fly past ....just sayin'

I accept that was the general case but where I was only the RAF were present.

• Like 1