1/24 Aoshima MGB . Ride height amended

Finished this one last night .  It was actually the rubber-bumper boxing , which I bought as it was cheaper on Ebay and I wanted to use the wire wheels and tyres on my Revell Austin Healey 100-6 .  @Spiny was good enough to let me have the spare wheels from his build and , with the addition of some double-sided tape , I fitted a set of leftover tyres from a Tamiya Audi Quattro so was able to build it .  All the parts from the 1968 boxing are included in the later boxing,  so I was able to build it as a '68 .   Apart from the tyres , it's OOB . Paint is Halfords BMC Iris Blue .

Following comments from several BMers regarding the ride height,  I have lowered it and also taken the opportunity to touch in the door locks and tonneau studs .  The first pic is as it was originally , but the other four show it after modification .

20220601_150921.jpg

20220602_123830.jpg

20220602_123840.jpg

20220602_123847.jpg

20220602_123857.jpg

Edited by rs2man
Model corrected
  • Like 26

An excellent colour for a B!  I think it was a Ford shade that I used for mine (off the shelf in Halfords), but looks pretty much the same 😎

However, I think that you may have installed the chassis / floorpan at the rubber bumper height 😉

Lovely B in a wonderful pale blue. 

Thanks for showing. 

And I also think that it is rubberbumper height, bcs the stance looks like the one my B which I did also in this height 

Marco F 

Great to see the wire wheels being put to good use, they're way too nice to just sit in the spares box. It's a very nice model of the early version too, you should be pleased with it.

Incidentally, when it comes to the 'rubber bumper height' issue people have commented on, it is worth noting that it isn't just a case of putting the floor in above the slots, you would need to modify the tub, floor or door cards to make sure they don't sit proud of the body if you do that so would need a bit more work that it appears at first glance. So I fully understand why the kit stance has been retained, and to me it doesn't detract from an excellent build.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Spiny said:

Incidentally, when it comes to the 'rubber bumper height' issue people have commented on, it is worth noting that it isn't just a case of putting the floor in above the slots, you would need to modify the tub, floor or door cards to make sure they don't sit proud of the body if you do that so would need a bit more work that it appears at first glance. So I fully understand why the kit stance has been retained, and to me it doesn't detract from an excellent build.

Having done this to the one I built several years ago, no modifications were needed to any parts - see the later pics here: 
https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235071028-airfix-reboxed-aoshima-mg-b/

Lovely build, well done.

Not sure if you were aware or if a coincidence, 523 CBL was actually the original road test car for 'Motor' back in 1962. The test car was Iris blue which is close to what you have painted your model.

Atb, Steve.

• Like 1

• rs2man changed the title to 1/24 Aoshima MGB . Ride height amended
On 01/06/2022 at 22:17, Spiny said:

Great to see the wire wheels being put to good use, they're way too nice to just sit in the spares box. It's a very nice model of the early version too, you should be pleased with it.

That's why my MGB has also this height,

I was afraid of doing all the modifications.

When I'll build the next one I'll try to lower the stance on axle mounts .

And I agree the stance doesn't detract this nice build. 

Marco F 

On 01/06/2022 at 21:17, Spiny said:

Thanks mate , glad you liked it .  I agree about the wheels - they're some of the nicest injection moulded wires I've ever seen . 

• Like 1

Nicely built model, really looks the part.

So either you can just clip the body on differently to get the right height or you have to mod suspension.  Inquiring minds want to know as I have this kit too.  Though I'll be stripping the chrome off the wires, too restomod bling for my liking!

Cheers

Will

On 01/06/2022 at 21:53, Paul H said:

Having done this to the one I built several years ago, no modifications were needed to any parts - see the later pics here: 
https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235071028-airfix-reboxed-aoshima-mg-b/

On 03/06/2022 at 13:13, Marco F. said:

That's why my MGB has also this height,

I was afraid of doing all the modifications.

When I'll build the next one I'll try to lower the stance on axle mounts .

And I agree the stance doesn't detract this nice build. 

Marco F 

When I was building mine I couldn't see how the chassis could be dropped without having to trim the pegs for the tub to fit onto the chassis. That was a bit of a moot point for my build though as I was doing the 70s rubber bumper version so the raised height was correct for that, so I left it.

Looking through Paul's photos and comparing to mine, I think I can see what is happenind. It looks as though when you install the chassis above the slots in the body, the tub is held in place by the body and you introduce a slight bow into either the body or (much more likely) the chassis. The middle bit of the chassis is in the same position on mine relative to the body as Paul's is, it's just at the front and rear where the difference in height is. So it is much easier than I thought to modify the height. That said, given how many wheels and suspension bits fell of mine getting it into the 'correct' place, I wouldn't be going back even if I had done the 60s version.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1