Double trouble: Douglas A-4E Skyhawk, VC-5, US Navy (1/48, Hasegawa)

CtzOILF.jpg

Hey everyone, here's a dual build of recently finished Scooters that I have built for my friends who used to fly these jets back in the 80s out of Cubi Point, Philippines in order to provide dissimilar air combat training to carrier air wing fighter jets passing by aboard US aircraft carrier. One of them, Lt. Pagenkopf, almost paid the highest price when he was forced to eject from his Skyhawk at high speed, which resulted in a severe legs injury. Facing almost certain amputation, he was rushed to naval hospital in San Diego, where he spent another year recovering from his wounds. His naval aviator career was over, but he learned to walk again, picked up on medical studies and became a renowned orthopedic trauma surgeon which enabled him to save hundreds of lives in Afghanistan and Iraq.

The build itself consists of the classic Hasegawa kit where I removed the leading edge step, which doesn't exist on the real airplane. I have added Aires seats, Eduard wheels and instrument panels. Mr. Paint provided all the paint, most of the markings were done via custom masks from Miryoku and Eduard retail. I have used Furball and AOA decals for small stencils too. Refuelling probe by Master was just a cherry on top along with the oils and pencils for wear and tear.

Lt. Eric “Pagan” Pagenkopf, Modex 04, BuNo 150056

DcqE8Bl.jpgoqnlFJm.jpg
mU37WWh.jpg
S2jVmt0.jpg
QwTgA6p.jpg
D2ECwHv.jpghiTvJFF.jpgfVFTQkC.jpg
FweRddZ.jpg
qAZOfCA.jpg

Lt. Bill “Sly” Seidel, Modex 10, BuNo 151096
9XLgBav.jpg
BmRPxGN.jpguejnIkB.jpg
8bRH2lU.jpg
JZOIYbx.jpgxgXQu9f.jpg

EgZQs20.jpg
25K0bt2.jpg
MvXWCCx.jpg
q8bGNbz.jpg
QoVe3GC.jpg

Edited by David Lengyel
  • Like 47
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kategor said:

Question from a newbie: how long does it take to build something like this?

I suck at estimates, I'm also really slow when it comes to progress, so I'd say 100 hours give or take.

Thanks for the kind comments, gents. I appreciate it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kategor said:

Amazing, they look real!!

Question from a newbie: how long does it take to build something like this?

Thanks for sharing!

Hi Kategor, 

David will be able to tell you better how long these took, but for me on a kit which is pretty has decent fitting parts it could take 40 - 50 hours. (My kits dont end up looking quite so good though! ) Time could be a little less or maybe a little more depending on how much work is involved in filling and sanding and how much masking is required (that can be very time consuming! )

@David Lengyel the scooters look amazing and the back-story is also astounding. Great work!