Airfix 1/48 Hunter F.6 into a FGA.9?

Mark

Hi all,

So I’ve tidied the modelling space and I’m back at the bench after an 18 month break.

The Airfix 1/48 new tool Hunter F.6 caught my eye and that’s the kit I’ll use to get the modelling juices flowing again.

On opening the kit I found and not unexpectedly as I’d read the reviews, two tailcones and a pair of rocket launchers used on the FGA.9.

My question, therefore, is what else is needed to be done apart from the tailcone, new fuel tanks and somehow creating the cut-out in the flaps to make the FGA.9?

Of course, I could wait until Airfix inevitably release it 😂

I believe many who saw the tail cone with the parabrake housing in the Airfix 1/48 Hunter F.6 kit are hoping that a FGA.9 is in Airfix's plan for a future release.

What's needed to make a FGA.9 as mentioned would be the 230-gallon tanks (with its bracing strut), cut-out flaps, and the overwing ejector gun fairing (though its not fitted on all FGA.9). 

Hunter FGA.9 features_b

If Airfix has plans for a FGA.9 and is listening in, I sincerely hope that they would consider a correction for the inboard and outboard pylons which are both too short in height. This was discussed in quite detail in an earlier thread.

In addition, Part C38 is missing its mirrored partner!

NLG strut

The Airfix 1/48 Hunter F.6 is a wonderful kit.

Can Airfix consider including these corrections (pylons and the missing NLG door link) in the FGA.9 ?

YK

Singapore

Edited by YK GOH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, dambuster said:

Slightly off topic, but the over wing Ejector units were also fitted to F6 and F6A Hunters, so not all aircraft of these marks can be modelled depending on the date in question.

Peter

They were not "overwing " release units, they were pylon mounted but as they were tall  they  projected through and over the top surface of the wing hence the need for a fairing.

They were not a feature of F6 hunters, they did not use outboard pylons, only the F6A had them.  The fairings were only fitted when the pylon was fitted on the F6A and FGA9. No pylon no fairing.

Selwyn

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much everyone!

I will definitely be ordering the pylons from Aerocraft, which is a new company for me and I’m glad to have found them now thanks to you!

I do have the Javelin and so will rob the 230 gallon tanks from that kit, I also have a couple of Academy FGA.9s with Aeroclub bits and pieces so I think I can easily make a FGA.9 from the second Airfix F.6 that I have.

All of this is simply because I’ve got loads of aftermarket decals, which I had bought when I started looking at the Academy kits and what was needed to be done to accurise them.

I don’t know if Airfix are looking on, but if you are, thank you for this excellent Hunter F.6 kit!! I’m sure other versions are in development, including the FGA.9 😂

• Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 11:37 AM, Selwyn said:

They were not "overwing " release units, they were pylon mounted but as they were tall  they  projected through and over the top surface of the wing hence the need for a fairing.

They were not a feature of F6 hunters, they did not use outboard pylons, only the F6A had them.  The fairings were only fitted when the pylon was fitted on the F6A and FGA9. No pylon no fairing.

Selwyn

Hi Selwyn,

thanks for the information.

I’ve just completed a morning of research on the RAF Valley F6 Hunters, which will be the subject of my own F6 build and have found many photos showing the fairings in place with no outer pylon fitted.

all the best,

MarK

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Mark said:

Hi Selwyn,

thanks for the information.

I’ve just completed a morning of research on the RAF Valley F6 Hunters, which will be the subject of my own F6 build and have found many photos showing the fairings in place with no outer pylon fitted.

all the best,

MarK

spacer.png

I think most of the valley hunters were the F6A's by that time, they probably used the fairings as they didn't have to keep changing it with the flat panel when the pylon was removed. they would just be empty with no ERU in them.

you might find this thread useful.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235053600-airfix-148-hunter-f6-inboard-pylon-shape/

Selwyn