Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II has reigned for seventy years.  I thought that it would be appropriate to model something that has been associated with her for nearly all of that time. 

The Battle of Britain Memorial flight has taken part in every jubilee flypast: 1977, 2002, 2012 and again this year.  Two aircraft have taken part in every flypast: Lancaster PA474 and Hurricane LF363.   I like Hurricanes so I thought I would model LF363 but with a difference.  I will be building three models depicting the markings it carried in 1977, 2002/2012 and this year.    So...  three models it is. :mental:

LF363 is a Hurricane MkIIc, originally built with 20mm cannons.  However, it has spent most of its life masquerading as a Mk I with the cannons removed and wearing a Temperate Land Scheme, which it never wore in RAF service,   The aircraft was one of the last Hurricanes to be taken into RAF service - some sources state that it was actually the last one.  

These are the kits that I will be using: Heller, Smer and Mistercraft.

spacer.png

They are actually all the same kit! 

• Like 11

So let's look at the sprues.

This is a Heller kit.  I don't think I need to say any more than that.  :)  This one was first released in 1977.  For a kit that's 45 years old, it still stands up pretty well.  Okay, it can't approach the Arma Hobby kit (which in my opinion is the jewel in the crown of Hurricane kits in 1/72) but then one wouldn't expect it to.  Besides, you can pick one of these up for a third of the price of the Arma Hobby kit. 

I have a lot of love for Heller kits of this vintage.

spacer.png

spacer.png

So, let's be cruel and consider how this 45 year old kit doesn't match up to modern kits.   Firstly, it has raised panel lines!  But then so did most other kits in 1977...

The undercarriage bays lack detail.  See my comment about raised panel lines.   However, there are aftermarket resin sets for other kits which will fit.  I confess that I'm not going to bother.

The cockpit is a bit sparse.   See my comments above.  Again there are aftermarket resin sets that will fit.   I'm just going to do a bit of detailing and replace the seat and instrument panel. 

There is one "problem" with the kit that isn't to do with its age.  The fuselage spine behind the cockpit is narrower than it should be.  However...  this was possibly a choice on the part of the kit designers.  It means that the sliding canopy part fits perfectly in the open position.  :thumbsup: 

My Heller kit is from 1988.  The decals are rubbish.  So are those in the Mistercraft boxing, which is from 2014.  However, the Mistercraft boxing has serials for LF363 which will be useful, although the instruction sheet shows them as LF360.  :shrug:  But then, it's not like modern Hurricane decals are hard to find.  :)  

The Smer boxing has decent decals and some PE to justify the "Hi Tech" moniker.  This is a very nice package.

spacer.png

In my opinion, the Heller Hurricane is a lovely little kit and would be an ideal mojo restorer.    I think @stevej60 would agree. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

So let's look at the sprues.

This is a Heller kit.  I don't think I need to say any more than that.  :)  This one was first released in 1977.  For a kit that's 45 years old, it still stands up pretty well.  Okay, it can't approach the Arma Hobby kit (which in my opinion is the jewel in the crown of Hurricane kits in 1/72) but then one wouldn't expect it to.  Besides, you can pick one of these up for a third of the price of the Arma Hobby kit. 

I have a lot of love for Heller kits of this vintage.

spacer.png

spacer.png

So, let's be cruel and consider how this 45 year old kit doesn't match up to modern kits.   Firstly, it has raised panel lines!  But then so did most other kits in 1977...

The undercarriage bays lack detail.  See my comment about raised panel lines.   However, there are aftermarket resin sets for other kits which will fit.  I confess that I'm not going to bother.

The cockpit is a bit sparse.   See my comments above.  Again there are aftermarket resin sets that will fit.   I'm just going to do a bit of detailing and replace the seat and instrument panel. 

There is one "problem" with the kit that isn't to do with its age.  The fuselage spine behind the cockpit is narrower than it should be.  However...  this was possibly a choice on the part of the kit designers.  It means that the sliding canopy part fits perfectly in the open position.  :thumbsup: 

My Heller kit is from 1988.  The decals are rubbish.  So are those in the Mistercraft boxing, which is from 2014.  However, the Mistercraft boxing has serials for LF363 which will be useful, although the instruction sheet shows them as LF360.  :shrug:  But then, it's not like modern Hurricane decals are hard to find.  :)  

The Smer boxing has decent decals and some PE to justify the "Hi Tech" moniker.  This is a very nice package.

spacer.png

In my opinion, the Heller Hurricane is a lovely little kit and would be an ideal mojo restorer.    I think @stevej60 would agree. 

I built one not too long ago and found it to be a decent kit for its age. I agree something simple that can bring back memories of someone's youth to restore the dragging feeling. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

How are you getting on with this?

Any progress to report or share with us?

1 month has gone already!

Will I have to put you on a charge * and confine you in 'modelling barracks'?

* a battery charger!

Although this is a nice kit, the cockpit is somewhat basic but that's par for the course for a kit issued in 1977.   I will be adding some detail as shown:

spacer.png

spacer.png

The cockpit internal structure was added using strecthed sprue and some offcuts of plastic card.

spacer.png

And then sprayed with Xtracrylix XA1010.

spacer.png

All three of 'em!  :D

spacer.png

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

How are you getting on with these?

I think that you, like me, are falling behind in our builds

We need to lead from the front - 'Follow me men! I'm right behind you!'

• Haha 2

I've neglected to document this project dreadfully.  :sorry:     So let's put that right.

The fuselages were closed up and the wings built.  The wing assembly is three parts!  Although LF363 is a cannon-armed MkIIC, it has spent most of its life masquerading as a machine gun armed MkI.  I removed the cannons and their associated wing bulges.

spacer.png

Main assembly complete.

spacer.png

Initial priming dones with grey car primer from a rattle can.   I sorted out any imperfections and added the tailplanes.  

spacer.png

After another round of primer, I sprayed them with Xtracrylix XA1002 Dark Earth

spacer.png

• Like 3

I don't know what BK is worried for Enzo, you've got stacks of time, at least 6 weeks before any pressure should come on, 7 weeks & some mild panic might set it but I reckon you'll have it sorted by then . :)

I've a couple of these kits, I like what you've doing with the cockpits, there might be some slight plagarism in evidence when I get around to mine. ;) :D 

Steve.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The disruptive pattern was then sprayed using Xtracrylix XA1001 Dark Green.  The undersurfaces were sprayed with Xtracrylix XA1007 Sky.   Then came the decals.  These were from a plethora of sources, most notably old Modeldecal sheets for the wing roundels and codes.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Greeblies ready for fitment.

spacer.png

Now comes the horrendous task of masking the canopies! :yikes: 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...