Valentine Archer spg

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

I'm not keen on the link and length type but that's what was in the box

You may not like them, but you've done  good job on them. Nice work again Roger.

John. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

You may not like them, but you've done  good job on them. Nice work again Roger.

John. 

Thanks John coming from you that means a lot

Stay safe            Roger

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Milan Mynar said:

Looks like nice model of the SPG.

Thanks - yes it is nice with very good fit

Stay safe           Roger

1 hour ago, APA said:

painting and weathering as you build

Thanks for the comment

As you say this is probably the best way with this build. 

Stay safe              Roger

On 6/17/2022 at 6:10 PM, Modelholic said:

I partially based my assumption on a pic from this site:

http://www.scalewarmachines.com/allcontent/valentine-archer-spg

which has a few interior shots.

Pics #6, 8 and 15 shows the area of the seats. There are two (what I took for) mounting points atop the side sponson that look to be the pivot point for the seat if it's fitted upside down in re. to the instructions.

Tom

I am nearing the point where I have to think about the crew seats and how Tamiya have portrayed them after Tom's @Modelholic comments and as far as I can see the seat frames are on a hinge which allows them to be either deployed for seating or folded up for action when the seat pivots and folds which in turn makes for the seats to be upside down if that makes sense. Tamiya in this case have got the seats correct for the stowed position but doesn't allow the option of having the seats deployed for use with out work. The picture I linked to a Bronco Models build shows the seats in the deployed for use position 

https://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/spacepacker12345/17pdr Archer/DSCF1485.jpg

I am most likely to build mine with the seats stowed but I may be tempted to deploy one of them..................................................

Thanks for taking an interest and raising the point Tom

Stay safe               Roger

Thanks for the likes and comments.

Ok a little more on this one the gun mount and empty shell container are now fitted, the fighting compartment side walls have had various bins and bags added including an oil can although being mounted at the side of one of the ammo storage bins can not be seen. The radio and fittings have also been added to the inside of the front panel as well as the aerial and ranging rod stowage on the front. After @Bertie Psmith's warning about the rod/aerial stowage being moulded the wrong way round I have corrected that fault.

The time had come to face up to the crew seats (see above posts) I came to the conclusion that the supplied parts are just not accurate even though they are supposed to represent them in the stowed fighting position (I have included a picture of what you get in the kit with it's mounting diagram). I therefore decided that I would try to improve what's in the kit, first I cleaned up what Tamiya say is the seat base and used that as the back rests and scratched up new seat bases with a larger seat area. I have decided to show the loaders seat in the deployed/travelling position and the commanders seat folded for action, I am aware that used shell case bin should be folded up over the breech when the seats are in use but I'm claiming modellers licence over that one. After all that waffle here are the pics;

IMG-0203.jpg

IMG-0204.jpg

IMG-0205.jpg

IMG-0206.jpg

IMG-0207.jpg

IMG-0208.jpg

IMG-0209.jpg

IMG-0210.jpg

IMG-0211.jpg

I hope you managed to make sense of that lot sorry it's so long winded! Interior is almost finished so then it's on to the outside fittings and fixtures

Many thanks for taking the time to stop and look

Stay safe          Roger

• Like 7

Thanks for the likes and comments.

After working out what to do with the crew seats I have moved on to fitting the fighting compartment sides and glacis plate followed by the breech which was added to the gun mount. The stowage bins for the out side were put together and added to the hull exterior, some ammo: has been added to the stowage bins as well. I'm not going to fill the ammo: stowage bins as I want to portray the Archer as having been in action and in need of a replen: more on that idea later. Time for the pics: as they explain things far better than me

IMG-0212.jpg

IMG-0213.jpg

IMG-0214.jpg

IMG-0215.jpg

IMG-0216.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG-0217.jpg

IMG-0218.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

Thanks for stopping by your time and trouble is very much appreciated

Stay safe           Roger

• Like 6

Thanks everyone for the likes and comments they are very much appreciated.

OK the main build on this one I'm calling done, I've still got to make a base and source a crew that is suitable for what I have in mind, I also need to add the radio aerials.

This is going to be a bit picture heavy I'm afraid, you can see that the casement/fighting compartment has been completed and the war paint added, some more weathering will most likely be needed after the model is mounted on its base. Anyway here are the pictures

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

Many thanks to all who have followed, liked and commented on this project your time is very much appreciated.

I'm planning to be at the Bovington Tank Museum South West Model show on 10th September with a friend so the Archer will be there, if you visit the show do stop by would be good to put a face to the names.

Back soon with most likely a Trumpeter AS90 so hopefully see you when I start that one

Stay safe                Roger 

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Hamden said:

Thanks everyone for the likes and comments they are very much appreciated.

OK the main build on this one I'm calling done, I've still got to make a base and source a crew that is suitable for what I have in mind, I also need to add the radio aerials.

This is going to be a bit picture heavy I'm afraid, you can see that the casement/fighting compartment has been completed and the war paint added, some more weathering will most likely be needed after the model is mounted on its base. Anyway here are the pictures

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

Many thanks to all who have followed, liked and commented on this project your time is very much appreciated.

I'm planning to be at the Bovington Tank Museum South West Model show on 10th September with a friend so the Archer will be there, if you visit the show do stop by would be good to put a face to the names.

Back soon with most likely a Trumpeter AS90 so hopefully see you when I start that one

Great job on the Archer , I had a very satisfying build on mine. I really like the canvas top, well done. I built my base as the Archer hidden in the tress and hedges hunting for panzers.

cheers 

Dennis

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to finish this off here is a couple of pics: of the Archer on its base.

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

Again many thanks for the likes and comments your time is very much appreciated

Stay safe                   Roger

• Like 6

18 hours ago, echen said:

Valentine looks good and the scenery sets it off well. :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Very atmospheric. Nothing so good as brewing up in an oil drum.

John.

Thanks for the kind comments and likes both of you.