Hi y'all

DaddyO

Morning (or whatever time it is where you are)

Just a quick intro to say hi to you all. I've been a modeller for as long as I could walk, but for most of that time I've been building flying models (mainly free flight and control line with a bit of indoor scale thrown in for variety) For the last few years I've been known as figure painter, but latterly I've started dabbling with ww1 aircraft in 1/72 scale so hopefully I'll be able to pick up a few hints and tips for those as I progress along the way . . .

Before I post anything 'kit' related here are a few samples of what I've been up to. The figures are both 54mm high and the Yak is 'pistachio scale' so 8" wingspan and flies for about 50 seconds in an indoor hall

Cheers for now

Paul

spacer.pngspacer.png

Paulspacer.png

• Like 14

Welcome Paul (just past midday😉), 

there's lots of hints and knowledge here. And don't get drawn into the ever-ongoing fight over "the one true king of modelling" - 1/72, 1/48 or even bigger.😂

• Like 1

Cheers guys - appreciate the welcome 😁

1 hour ago, Vapouriser said:

Welcome Paul from another new member (with considerably less skill though 😂 )

It’s 11:30 here in Blighty and I have to say that 1st figure is quite sensational !

Thanks Vapouriser the original sculpt is by Art Girona. I had to repair and re-sculpt part of the metal shield edge with solder  which was 'fun' The arrows are made from acupuncture needles and were the third attempt (each one getting nearer to scale size) 

The second figure is another modified AG 54mm figure with a scratch built horse and fittings based on burial records. The specific breed is an odd one not known today with a very strange conformation which is more apparent in other pics. 

Paul

• Like 1

Welcome Paul , your figure painting is just incredible . Thanks for showing ! .

Don .

• Thanks 1

Hello Paul :post1: its a warm overcast early afternoon here in Chicago. Im mostly an military aircraft builder in 1/72 & 1/48, with an odd foray into armor and Sci-fi to break up the monotony. I used to do small scale figurines (25mm) back in the day for wargaming and D&D. 

Dennis

• Thanks 1

Really lovely work that just goes to show that this hobby is an art form.

Thanks very much for sharing 

Best regards

Peter

P.S. everyone knows that 1/72 is the one true scale!😉

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DaddyO said:

with a scratch built horse and fittings based on burial records

Well, that's a comment you don't see everyday.

Just fantastic work. I'm pleased with myself when I manage a couple of 'scratch built' seatbelts!

Great introduction - looking forward to seeing more of your creations.

all the best

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mark Harmsworth said:

Well, that's a comment you don't see everyday.

Just fantastic work. I'm pleased with myself when I manage a couple of 'scratch built' seatbelts!

Great introduction - looking forward to seeing more of your creations.

all the best

Mark

Cheers Mark

Not one I expected to be using, but like Topsy the project kind've grew as these things do sometimes. The Scythians (For it is a model of good king Atheas himself) were one of the early horse nations and were great selective breeders. The 'Royal' horse was similar in conformation to the modern day Akhal Teke. Sad thing is after all the changes made it looks like a slightly dodgy modern day horse replica . . . Hey ho 🙄

Paul

ps -

Just started adding a few pics of my first build in a separate thread. It's an Eduard DR1 in 'Cor blimey that's small' scale😁

• Like 2

On 31/05/2022 at 11:10, DaddyO said:

pistachio scale' so 8" wingspan and flies for about 50 seconds in an indoor hall

Hi Paul. I have some small inkling of what's involved here, although I'm sure things have moved on apace since I moved off the rc thing. 

This looks and sounds impressive. Bet you've got more..... 😍😁

• Like 1

On 01/06/2022 at 12:43, dnl42 said:

Welcome aboard!:clap2:

Excellent work!

Thanks dnl42 👍

10 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Hi Paul. I have some small inkling of what's involved here, although I'm sure things have moved on apace since I moved off the rc thing. 

This looks and sounds impressive. Bet you've got more..... 😍😁

Lots of innovation in the outdoor scene where performance has now so far outstretched flying sites that there is a swing back to simpler and smaller models to restrict performance. Indoors though scale models built with balsa and tissue have always been popular and near the top end of competitions. Being a bit of a luddite I rather enjoy the challenge of making something from simple materials that looks scale(ish), but weighs next to nothing. Mine are built with 1/32 square balsa framework glued with PVA and covered with tissue. This one's got some parts sanded from blue foam, and exhausts cut from grass stems. The prop blades are moulded on a former from sanded sheet and glued to a piece of cocktail stick for a hub. The motor is a loop of 31thou rubber about 14" long and takes @ 1000 turns.

Hope that's of interest

Paul

Qn3r4QuDmuH4EAiwLX2UNG0CCbRQD63HzmXyqB6O

• Like 3

Hi Paul & welcome. I am in awe if your work & while lacking both dkiks & patience, I love to see others small master pieces. I'll surely look forward to seeing some more if your wizardry. I'm curious to know what is represented by your last little flyer, they both look very cool but that one is a little beaut though it's ID has me stumped?

Steve.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Hi Paul & welcome. I am in awe if your work & while lacking both dkiks & patience, I love to see others small master pieces. I'll surely look forward to seeing some more if your wizardry. I'm curious to know what is represented by your last little flyer, they both look very cool but that one is a little beaut though it's ID has me stumped?

Steve.

Thanks for the welcome Steve, glad you like the models.

The one that's got you stumped is a Martin MO-1 from the 30's (Not surprising since I'd never heard of it either before finding a plan and thinking 'that's got jolly nice proportions for a flying model' 😎 There've been several built in different scales that fly well, but this one is a bit of a bugger if I'm honest dropping either wingtip without provocation - Hopefully the original was a bit better)

Cheers

Paul

• Thanks 1