Reini's Century Series - "Thud"

reini

Reini's Century Series - F-105G Thunderchief

y4mG9s-c4gE6Kxvw62GtCACvkjf5GzVXJU6_W4_E

Trumpeter kit. I've built the single seater years ago, but this is the two seater SAM-hunting 'Wild Weasel' variant.

y4mDes3-s2jrORWFHRjkQKNOPNr8tehRAMqby_Y0

Pile-o-plastic - it's a decent looking kit.

y4mb27uyesmsxOEqbB8DcOOAjrrmaQQsVf9J47nc

I'm not really happy with the Trumpeter decals, I've had issues where they are just the wrong size, usually too large. Like the ejection seat warning markings. They are quite prominent in the real thing, but these look just way too big! Caracal seems to be making a decent looking decal sheet, so I might pick that up.

y4midsdt7xUM5oXDSN3R-ECAJRbSxrMut3nhr4lr

Wheels and pitot tube.

I do have some items still missing from this kit, mainly related to the loadout. Trumpeter's AGM-45 Shrike and AGM-78 Standard ARM that come with the kit are apparently wrong size, But I have yet succeeded in finding replacements for them.

y4mmQQOpbWmuowDY7hInqV_tdushWzQVdC4NkzXb

This is my earlier work on the Trumpeter F-105 kit. From years back, brush painted and all.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Sam said:

Heya Reini

surely will be following this one. 
I am impressed, you will be building the whole century series! 

I will try! :D

I think I did 7 builds in the first Nordic GB so its doable 😁

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Taylor Durbon said:

Reini, be aware of the vertical  fin of the  „G“ Trumpeter kit. It is the fin of the „D“ model and you have to change it if you want a correct „G“.

Thanks for the info, I have to check that out.

• 8 months later...

Long overdue, Thud has gained some momentum too. Far from the time limits of this GB but oh well... :D 

spacer.png

Fuselage is together and so are the wings. Next I need to sort couple of the flaws of the kit - the ventral fin and the tail.

• Like 1

spacer.png

Original fin (in the picture sawn off) is too thick, has wrong details and has wrong shape. With some sanding and putty you can fix it quite easily but Quickboost makes a ready made part for it to make the job even easier.

spacer.png

Here is the Quickboost part in place. Fits nicely.

Another issue is the wrong tail shape.

spacer.png

This is a tail of F-105D. Note how the tail curves on the front.

spacer.png

This is a tail of F-105G, note as it comes up straight after the small intake on the base of the tail. Simply put, F-105G tail is bigger - but of course the part that comes with the kit is correct for F-105D but wrong for F-105G.

spacer.png

I'm trying to fix this with some plasticard and adding some filler to make the shape. Let's see how it goes...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

spacer.png

Second layer of putty and some sanding and we're getting decent enough shape for the tail.

spacer.png

Done!

spacer.png

It's a big hunk of junk!

spacer.png

I was aware that the AGM-78 Standard ARM and AGM-45 Shrike that come with the kit were undersized and that indeed is the case. Very noticeable on the AGM-78 which is about 5mm too short and 1mm too thin.

There are 3D options available but the shipping costs from US are just too much. Hasegawa does a weapon set that comes with both missiles so I have to look whether I can find that one.

http://www.hasegawa-model.co.jp/product_g/x72-4/

• Like 1

spacer.png

I added some interest to the wheel wells with lead wire.

spacer.png

Also added some wire details to the landing gear struts. Nose gear strut might have came out bit heavy with the wires, have to use thinner wire for these 1;72 kits next time.

spacer.png

Kit seats were very basic and did not feel like getting more aftermarket stuff so I decided to dress them up a bit instead. With some lead wire, PE seat belts and plasticard I think they will do the job just fine. This will be a 'canopy closed' -kit I think.

spacer.png

Also glued the wings on! We are getting really close to the painting stage, just some finishing touches around the cockpit and get the clear parts sorted out and I think we can start the paint process. I'm feeling like this could be a heavily weathered bird - I just need to look up some reference photos to get some feel for it.

• Like 2

spacer.png

Seats are painted.

spacer.png

I also started painting the airframe itself. Starting out from the bottom.

spacer.png

Hasegawa weapon set arrived, I made a comparison with the Trumpeter ones. AGM-78 Standard Arm the size difference is very noticeable! The Hasegawa one is correct length but I think the biggest thing is that it's much more thicker also - as it should be. Trumpeter one is just different scale than 1:72 there is no way around it. On the AGM-45 the size difference is less noticeable but having them side by side it's not hard to see that the Hasegawa is again thicker, has better shape including the fins and their placement. Really happy with the Hasegawa weapon set even if they are basically the same as the stock parts detail wise but the shapes and sizes are just waay better.

• Like 1

spacer.png

With the underside painted, I can move to the camo on top. Need to do some masking first, I want slightly soft edges that I try to achieve with blu-tac.

spacer.png

Let's start with brown. I darkened and lightened the paint a little bit to create some different coloured blotches/ panels.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Does anyone got photos of decal positions for F-105 fuel tanks and pylons? 😳 The Trumpeter kit comes with a million decals for them but is lacking anykind of information where everything goes. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, reini said:

Does anyone got photos of decal positions for F-105 fuel tanks and pylons? 😳 The Trumpeter kit comes with a million decals for them but is lacking anykind of information where everything goes. 

Have you tried looking at the instructions for aftermarket F-105 sheets online? Scalemates can be very handy for stuff like this.

🇺🇦