Help me decide: 1/72 F-100D — Trumpeter, Italeri, or other?

Having just completed my “Red Baron” Starfighter, I’m contemplating my next build. Top of my list is a 1/72 F-100D Super Saber, with markings for the 79th Tactical Fighter Squadron (the “Tigers”). My former father-in-law was with the 79th in the late 1950’s, flying F-84s and F-100s.

Here’s my quandary: What kit should I use, and what additional work will I need to do to get a reasonably accurate result? In my stash I have the Trumpeter "D" with various aftermarket (Aires cockpit, afterburner can/nozzle, wheels & gear bays; plus, a corrected nose by XMM). I have "D" models from Academy (Italeri) and ESCI, too. Also, for what it's worth, I have Aires cockpit & afterburner can/nozzle sets for the Academy/Italeri kit.

My first thought was to go with the Trumpeter kit, but I’ve read that it has accuracy issues which take a fair amount of work to correct — see for example @TheRealMrEd’s Trumpeter F-100C build from about 5-years ago: 

One more consideration: I’d like to finish the project in about two months (or less), for a Group Build with my local modeling club (“The Year You We’re Born”).

Any advice? I’m all ears!

52110320962_96860115d4_b.jpg

52111415423_f96ffc02b7_z.jpg

52111415408_6e367f032f.jpg

I

52111596369_cef530716b_b.jpg

52111596334_37a4bbfabc_z.jpg

• Like 3

Esci or Italeri, they're similar but not the same, either way, they're better than the Trumpeter kit

• Thanks 1

Votes are coming in! Thus far, it's looking like a landslide for Italeri/ESCI.  Concerning the wing slats, I'll take a look to see if using the Trumpeter wings on the Italeri kit is feasible...

Right now, I'm away on a business trip and won't be back for a few days, so keep the polls will be open until then!

Another vote for the Esci - the Italeri is very similar, but adds a superfluous canopy frame. 

The Trumpeter just has too much accuracy issues to my tastes.

Cheers,

Andre

31 minutes ago, billn53 said:

Votes are coming in! Thus far, it's looking like a landslide for Italeri/ESCI.  Concerning the wing slats, I'll take a look to see if using the Trumpeter wings on the Italeri kit is feasible...

Obscureco makes a very nice set of resin wings for the Italeri/Esci kit, as well: http://www.obscureco.com/product_pages/OBS72013/OBS72013.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Hook said:

Another vote for the Esci - the Italeri is very similar, but adds a superfluous canopy frame. 

The Trumpeter just has too much accuracy issues to my tastes.

Cheers,

Andre

I'll have no problem with Italeri as far as the canopy goes--I've ordered a Rob Taurus replacement.

• Like 1

Esci, Bill. The Trumper has some shape issues in the fuselage and the fin. I used the complete Trumper wing assembly on my 3 builds (C, D and F). The intake will need work, though, as it is old school and blanked off on the Esci. The aftermarket cockpit, wheels, etc are a must regardless of what you choose. I have one more D to build - one day - and was debating the Trumper/Esci but I then woke up and it was all a bad dream ..... Esci it is! The one area where I think the Esci is poor, though, is the canopy and windscreen.

Martin

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Procopius said:

Obscureco makes a very nice set of resin wings for the Italeri/Esci kit, as well: http://www.obscureco.com/product_pages/OBS72013/OBS72013.html

I had some and sold them on. They were poorly cast and the detail wasn’t great. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, billn53 said:

ESCI.  Concerning the wing slats, I'll take a look to see if using the Trumpeter wings on the Italeri kit is feasible...

It is! It fits like a glove :)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RidgeRunner said:

Esci, Bill. The Trumper has some shape issues in the fuselage and the fin. I used the complete Trumper wing assembly on my 3 builds (C, D and F). The intake will need work, though, as it is old school and blanked off on the Esci. The aftermarket cockpit, wheels, etc are a must regardless of what you choose. I have one more D to build - one day - and was debating the Trumper/Esci but common sense will prevail ;)

Martin

Thanks, Martin. I recall seeing one of your builds, where you grafted Trumpeter’s wings onto an Esci (I think?) fuselage. I hadn’t considered the ESCI inlet, however… I’ll have to take a look & come up with a plan to deepen it. Maybe I can use the Trumpeter inlet trunk, but that’s likely easier said than done!

It is too flat on the lower face. I bought a few Renaissance Models inlets. They are nice :)

https://www.aero-spezial-modellbauversand.de/Detail-Conversion-sets/Renaissance/Scale-1-72/RF72017-F-100-Super-Sabre-Air-Intake-Lip::14325.html?language=en

You still need to build the trunking, though. 

M

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

It is too flat on the lower face. I bought a few Renaissance Models inlets. They are nice :)

I meant, open up the ESCI inlet and extend it using the Trumpeter trunk. I recall Ed did something similar on his F-100C build.

Alternatively, maybe I can repurpose the XMM resin inlet & trunk meant for the Trumpeter kit, and use it with the ESCI fuselage instead

• Like 1

Bill, already learning from the deep bench of experts here.  I only have Trumpeter’s C & D in my stash.  FWIW, I thought the recent Detail and Scale F-100 edition did a good overview with issues on both these kits (although I clearly don’t have some of the insights here).  Really looking forward to your build as I really would like to build a respectable F-100–I have no doubt your build will be amazing inspiration and education—best, Erwin 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Bill, already learning from the deep bench of experts here. . . . Really looking forward to your build as I really would like to build a respectable F-100. . . . 

Thanks, Erwin! I’m hoping to get started this weekend, after I’m back from my trip. I’ll only have about six weeks if I’m to finish in time for the group build. So, I’m trying to avoid any really major work (which correcting the Trumpeter kit would require).
Hopefully schoolwork won’t get in the way (summer session begins in three weeks). 
Bill

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I had some and sold them on. They were poorly cast and the detail wasn’t great. 

Disappointing, I had some really nice CF-100 sets from them.

7 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

Esci or Italeri definitely, it's a really nice kit. They can be hard to find in stock but Blackbird models do a very nice set of replacement wings with dropped slats and control surfaces 

1+

7 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

Esci or Italeri definitely, it's a really nice kit. They can be hard to find in stock but Blackbird models do a very nice set of replacement wings with dropped slats and control surfaces 

Unfortunately, the Blackbird Models replacement wings are currently out of stock. They do look nice, though 

52113776199_3d6056279e_b.jpg

• Like 1

Here’s a photo of a 79th TFS F-100D, like I want to model. Fortunately, I was able to find decals in 1/72.

Many years ago I built Monogram’s 1/48 kit, which came with markings for the “Tigers”. I gave it to my father-in-law (who had flown F-100s with the 79th). I recall it was a pretty nice kit, perhaps some day I’ll build another like it.

52114191149_427aa6098b_b.jpg

• Like 2

The

On 5/30/2022 at 11:07 PM, billn53 said:

Having just completed my “Red Baron” Starfighter, I’m contemplating my next build. Top of my list is a 1/72 F-100D Super Saber, with markings for the 79th Tactical Fighter Squadron (the “Tigers”). My former father-in-law was with the 79th in the late 1950’s, flying F-84s and F-100s.

Here’s my quandary: What kit should I use, and what additional work will I need to do to get a reasonably accurate result? In my stash I have the Trumpeter "D" with various aftermarket (Aires cockpit, afterburner can/nozzle, wheels & gear bays; plus, a corrected nose by XMM). I have "D" models from Academy (Italeri) and ESCI, too. Also, for what it's worth, I have Aires cockpit & afterburner can/nozzle sets for the Academy/Italeri kit.

My first thought was to go with the Trumpeter kit, but I’ve read that it has accuracy issues which take a fair amount of work to correct — see for example @TheRealMrEd’s Trumpeter F-100C build from about 5-years ago: 

One more consideration: I’d like to finish the project in about two months (or less), for a Group Build with my local modeling club (“The Year You We’re Born”).

On 5/30/2022 at 11:07 PM, billn53 said:

The Trumpeter wings are the best of all options.  The Trumpeter kit is by far the best and most detailed, given that the fuselage in the cockpit area is too narrow, and the intake and wheels are wrong, it takes a little work,  but it's the best, hands down.  The vertical stab and rudder are correct on the Trumpeter "D", the problems are only on the Trumpeter "C" kit.

Ed

• Thanks 1

On 5/31/2022 at 4:01 PM, billn53 said:

IIRC, the Trumpeter wings are too thin & flat.  I think I read somewhere that the gear wells are too shallow too, making the landing gear (and by extension), the entire fuselage sit too tall. 

You could also built your own, like this gentleman did with his inspirational build:

https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/f100.htm

• Thanks 1