Tamiya 370Z Heritage Edition

After three months, mainly trying to achieve a reasonable finish, I have completed the second of 2021's Christmas presents.  As I was aiming at 1 completion a month, I am somewhat behind schedule.  Anyway, this was a present from my in-laws.  Tamiya's rather nice kit of the Heritage 370z.  As usual with Tamiya it went together easily, most of the problems are of my own making.

Negative points:

• A few inclusions in the paint or clear that still show after multiple reworks, at some point you have to call it a day
  • A palmprint appears in the roof strip in certain lighting!  I think it must be several layers of clear down as it won't polish out.
  • A crack in the roof black stripe, as the decals are thick but brittle, and very grabby
  • The black stripes are slightly pearlescent in certain lights - I clearly didn't clean my airbrush out sufficiently after silver before clearing!
  • The orange/silver blanking decals on the headlights curled up and died, so are now absent!
  • The headlight covers are somewhat proud at the front corner.  Not sure what is wrong, Tamiya suggest "snapping" into place, but after multiple attempts I gave up as I was worried I would snap the whole thing to pieces in the process.

Positive points

• Apart from the points above, it fits together marvellously
  • The chrome parts are very nice, I oversprayed the door handles and wheels to better match the Heritage Edition.
  • The mirrors look great using the stick on chrome, admittedly the rear view mirror had to be refitted several times due to carelessness.
  • Superb tyres.
  • Its very yellow.

Here is the result:

52105790079_83d23dbd14_b.jpg

52105534446_33d984ceae_b.jpg

52105788844_48b4a92322_b.jpg

52105790084_90f4ed9b00_b.jpg

Hope you all like the cheery colour scheme!  This is the sort of car its essential to wear shades to drive.  Despite my moans above I have enjoyed the build, have learned some useful techniques, and have plenty more cars in the stash to apply them to!

Cheers

Will

• Like 14

Lovely!

I have a love-hate relationship with yellow paint.

I painted my Tamiya 300 ZX Turbo yellow (X-8? or the Zero Paints equivalent!) and somehow didn't spray the front wings enough and now they look decidedly 'murky' compared to the bonnet! I never posted it in the RFI section. Not good enough? I don't know.

I keep thinking of masking off the thing and re-covering the wings with  more yellow. 

Anyway, yours looks really smart!

Cheers,

Alan.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That looks super Will, super enough that I went out & bought one which turned up this morning. They're getting harder to come by now it seems & any from ebay or Japan were getting to be silly money, especially with postage so I went with the cheapest one I could find locally, still pretty spendy for me but spreading payments over 6 weeks makes it more affordable, now to summon up the courage to start this, I think I'm going to have to break my simple airbrush out for the body colours & wheels etc.

Steve.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It does look smashing, if I didn't have an overflowing stash, I'd get one too. The kind of things you mention as negatives are all part of a normal and challenging build, but can't see any of it on the pictures. I like yellow too!