Tamiya 1/24 Subaru Impreza WRC 99

Scargsy

Another car build for the GB, this time a Subaru...

spacer.png

I'll post all the sprue shots, etc. when I get started. I'll probably just go straight OOB though may scratch build a few seatbelt straps.

• Like 5

Here's what's in the box - lots of individually bagged (though annoyingly stapled) sprues.

Nicely there's some mesh in there as well as some window masks.

spacer.png

Typical Tamiya instructions and randomly the decals are supplied on two sheets (possibly some are common for other kits).

spacer.png

Initial work was building the roll cage, using the chassis/body as a jig - I like to attach as many parts as possible before paint.

Oddly (from my experience) the chassis and interior floor are a single piece - so to aid handling / painting I added a couple of bits of sprue as a handle - attached into the boot area (will be easy to snip off before assembly without being visible later).

I glued in the lower cross bar into the chassis and rear parcel shelf / seat backs too.

spacer.png

Next was to decide whether or not to fit the night stage lights - I'm not a fan of the look of the pod so I've decided I'll go without.

Filled added, seams hopefully fixed, bonnet vent and light blanks on, time for some primer.

spacer.png

Here's the cage after priming, I've taped up the pads - I'm planning on giving a 2nd primer coat of white possibly. I did notice the tape had pulled up some primer in parts though!

spacer.png

Body primed (Zero light grey), unfortunately that filler around the lower bumper seems to have disappeared - though I then noticed I'd left the part above the badge attached (so it's now been removed below), I'm thinking I'll add a layer of white primer to help under the bright blue, so a bit of fixup then another primer coat I guess.

spacer.png

The seats I'd filled the sink marks (not great on the lower bits) but the upper ones (near the openings) seem to have luckily been well filled - since they will be more obvious. Oddly the black Zero primer seems to have gone a bit lumpy, especially on the seats - which I did first after the grey (not overly cleaning the airbrush) - it's not a major issue there as the texture could work, however I've sanded the rears where there will be carbon decals.

So a bit more cleanup then more priming (once I get some white) but as I mentioned elsewhere - I've now got Robin chicks in my garage, so airbrushing is on hold - unless I go for some 'al fresco' airbrushing, climate accommodating - let's hope I don't end up with too many bugs stuck in the paintwork! 

• Like 6

A great choice Scargsy :thumbsup2:.

I was also thinking about doing an Impreza (1/32), but now you've got that base covered I'll do a Lancer Evo 7 instead :)

• Like 1

..and here comes a Scooby!!! :thumbsup:  It'd almost be a sacrilege to not to have a WRX Impreza in this build!!!

Great choice and a nice looking model too, though it probably would have been nicer/easier painting wise if some of the parts had been in white rather than the blue I expect.

I find I have lots of trouble with filler shrinking when using lacquer based paints too. Where possible I try to do all major filling with plastic (sprue of sheet) and limit the filler to final smoothing out, but still have to be careful.

A great start to the build, looking forward to seeing her completed.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I decided to just press ahead with the colour coat, not bother trying to fix and reprime my body (I think the more coats I put down the more mistakes I make).

A fair few gentle thin coats of Zero Paint "Subaru Rally Blue" and I have something that looks... remarkably like the original plastic colour, I'm not complaining - Kudos to Tamiya, I remember being younger and just attaching decals straight to model kits without paint so it's always a good option for those starting out!

spacer.png

Then a rattle-can Super-clear UV-cut coat, pretty light on the Subaru compared to the Mitsubishi on the right, I just wanted to have something help the decals slide and protect the paint a little, there will be a second clear coat over the decals (though not the UV-cut stuff, apparently it reacts with decals).

spacer.png

Annoyingly the body fell off my sand and did end up with a few chips when clear coating (rear wheel arch area), but hey it's a rally car, so a bit of damage is in keeping!

Everything was left for a good while to dry, then I assembled the underside...

spacer.png

I didn't spend an age detailing it as it's mostly going to be covered by the four guard plates (above car in picture). I'd primed these black (Tamiya supply as clear which I guess I could have left them as for visibility).

Exhaust still to paint and add but that can wait, I might put that on after fitting the body.

The shell - I hand painted the window rubbers, lights and indicators then made a start on the larger decals, it's annoying how the big logo swirls go over the door handles (they are supposed to), I might see if I can get them to better conform there with a bit more decal sol. but the scariest of the decals are down with the clear areas seeming OK (no silvering, etc.).

spacer.png

• Like 4

All the body decals applied I gave it a once over with Mr Topcoat Gloss and started building up the interior parts.

spacer.png

Still need to decide if I'm brave enough to have a go at hand painting those bonnet pins.

For the seatbelts I decided to try something new, I applied some masking tape to kitchen foil then applied the decals.

spacer.png

Before applying more tape to the reverse sides and cutting them out. It didn't turn out quite as well as I expected - I could have done with sealing them in with some clear first and also cutting them out before painting the tape, but it's not too bad (shouldn't look too bad when in the car). I was attempting to get some lengths for the straps beyond the seats and maybe give them a slight '3d' quality rather than flat decals melted onto the seats.

Anyhow - the interior tub is now complete...

spacer.png

I'm not too sure what the big black box with two hemispherical cutouts is behind the seats (possibly just something for the crew to put their helmets in?) but fitting it in was a bit of a pain as I'd prebuilt and painted the roll-cage. I needed to place it in approximately the right position (behind the seats which I'd attached), then glue in the cage before manoeuvring it into position with a couple of sets of tweezers!  

After the clear had dried I gave the body a second coat, this time using Mr Topcoat Premium Semi-Gloss, I generally don't like my race car models looking super-shiny anyhow. My first time using this and it seems to have done a good job. First a quick mist/tack coat from the rattle can, wait about 5 mins or so then a nice heavy coat.

spacer.png

• Like 1

those clears came out perfectly, well done! 

That was a really clever idea for the seatbelts, there really is something I'm going to have to try in the future. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

So another build finished!

Here are some shots.

spacer.png

The windscreen and glass I dipped into some clear floor polish to help seal in the decals but had a bit of an issue when inserting the windscreen, getting super-glue everywhere over the screen. Still it's finished now, not too bad - a nice little Tamiya kit for the money!

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

well done she's awesome!!!!! :thumbsup:

A really lovely finish on her, she looks just right.

Well thanks for joining the build, how you enjoyed it, was great to have you along.

• Like 1