Hasegawa 1/24 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4

Scargsy

I'll be building this once I get around to starting it, trying to up the number of 80/90s Japanese saloon cars in the GB!

spacer.png

I've previously built the rally version but will be doing this in homage to a car I once owned (unfortunately mine was the GTI version which had all the 4WD/4WS bits but not the turbo or bonnet vents). I'm not sure if I'll sand out the bonnet vents, since I won't be able to find exact replicas for wheels etc. I might just do it in the colour my car was (a dark red I think they described as Bordeaux) - though the actual VR4s from around 89/90 I've only ever seen photos of in white or black.

• Like 8

Nice to see another car in the group build and from what was possibly the golden age of Japanese cars.  It should look stunning in Bordeaux red.

• Like 1

So I managed to make a start.

Here's the parts...

spacer.png

Rather a lot of flash in places (including on the wheels/chromed sprue).

Instructions are nice and clear - given the age of the original moulding of the kit (1990) not too many parts to worry about.

spacer.png

A close up of some of that flash on the suspension for example. After cleaning the flash from the wheels I figured I'd probably need to repaint them so a quick dip in thick bleach made short work of the chrome, hopefully the wing mirrors after cleaning will still be usable.

spacer.png The front seats had some rather huge openings in the back (almost looked, due to the rectangular opening as though they could have planned to supply extra pieces for this but forgot to include them). I added a bit of Milliput epoxy - I'll sand it back a little later on. 

spacer.png

The body had a lot of seam work to fix up and I removed the little side repeaters on the tops of the front wings, I've also decided to try flatting back the plastic before priming. The front/rear corners had some nasty seams, so I added some sprue-goo filler (melted plasticard in Tamiya Extra Thin) before sanding, to try and help level it off.

spacer.png

I'm unsure about primer coats, think I'll go with some Zero red-oxide though, given the car will be a red colour - also I'm wondering after previous experience if the zero paints are a bit hot over Mr Surfacer. 

Unfortunately paint work has been put on hold by some winged things - seems some Robins have nested in my garage and there's at least 2 fledglings learning to flap around in there, from what I can glean on the internet the parents will feed them for a couple of weeks till they are strong enough fliers - hopefully they don't have/lay any more eggs!

• Like 7

welcome along with another great classic car form the 80/90's!  :thumbsup:

It's great to see the build is bringing these beauties out of stashes. They were quite basic model but you still could produce something rather nice with them.

Great to see you're off and running with this one, good luck with the build.

• Like 1

So a bit of alfresco priming using Zero Red-Oxide, I forgot to take a shot of the body but in a typical fashion for me the underside/chassis priming went down a lot smoother than the body...

spacer.png

I had a bit of a nightmare with the primer not sure if it's just old (seems to have been somewhat leaking too) but very lumpy. I was throwing it through a .2mm needle and it really didn't want to play ball and flow out nicely - on the upshot though it seems it didn't throw out the lumps so ended up with a somewhat smoother coat.

I was initially planning on doing the underside in body colour (red) even though the kit suggests grey? I have to I haven't spent too much side underneath Japanese market/import cars so can't judge if that's realistic but in the end I decided to do it black (or at least very dark grey after mixing the Mr Surfacer 1500 black with some of the grey after priming the interior parts).

spacer.png

Exhaust and fuel tank still to be fitted, the kit is pretty much a kerbside one, with no engine detail above the oil sump and gearbox.

The robins had cleared out of my garage, found they had made two nests in their time - one in the clothes peg bag and one in my wife's bike helmet! So after a bit of cleanup, I managed to get back in there and get a first colour coat on the body...

spacer.png

I'll give it a sand back and maybe a second coat, then it will be onto the interior - deciding which shades of grey to use.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Body was sanded back a bit, I actually cut through the paint in one spot on the bonnet so gave it another coat, then a clear coat using a rattle can Mr Hobby Super Clear UV cut and the wing attached.

Seen here next to the other Japanese GB entry.

spacer.png

Work mainly going on for the other GB entries at present.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

With the deadline quickly approaching it's time I got a wiggle on (I thought I had another week spare!)

I have been doing a few bits and bats - the interior I painted up and carpeted with some Humbrol enamel (slow drying) I think it was 126 grey but it seemed to have a greenish tint? With it wet I applied some Micro Balloons (I think it's little glass particles, used as a glue filler) as it adds some micro texture (much more subtle than flock).

spacer.png

I gave the carpet a grey acrylic wash (to help tone down the greenish tone and also help seal in the Micro-Balloons) as well as added the other bits and pieces.

spacer.png

I could have done with some washes and picking out details on the dash, etc. but time is limited and I probably won't be able to see anything of it once it's closed up.

With the deadline looming I spent most of the day rushing to get it finished, luckily I'd already given the window rubbers an initial hand painted coat of Vallejo Air Panzer Grey, though I needed to add a second one.

spacer.png

Annoyingly I didn't get chance to seal in the decals on the sides and the paintwork really could have done with some more attention.

Hopefully the GB finishes at the end of tomorrow not the start as I only have a few bits left to finish : add a few window decals, the wipers and number plates and maybe some panel lining. The front brake discs/hubs seemed not to want to stick very well so I've left it alone for the moment, hoping it will solidify overnight, though I get the feeling the front wheels may no longer turn on the poly caps given the extra glue I added (no big deal though).

• Like 1

OK so I managed to get it finished...

I added a bit of Flory wash to get some panel lines, could have done with something darker but at least it's another kit/GB finished!

spacer.png

Wheels could also have done with a wash but are just AK Xtreme Aluminium (didn't have chance to clear coat them, so no idea how it would have taken an oil wash).

spacer.png

Still a few nasty seam lines visible under the headlight.

spacer.png

I could have also attempted to pick out the Mitsubishi badges and boot lid text but decided to shy away as knowing me it would have ended up in an unholy mess!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Still it's now finished, glad I've cleared it off the workbench, onwards and upwards!

• Like 5

Well done on completing her, she looks great!!!!! :thumbsup:

She looks great and a very worthy addition to the gallery.

I do hope you enjoyed the build it was great to have you and this build along for the fun.

• Like 1