Spitfire Mk. IXc Late - Eduard 1/48

Marvel

Hello guys, I bought this model https://www.eduard.com/Eduard/Spitfire-Mk-IXc-late-version-1-48.html?listtype=search&searchparam=spitfire and I wish to purchase some aftermarket but I have a doubt on legs: Eduard sell a bronze set for Mk. IX but without oleo scissor (https://www.eduard.com/Eduard/Spitfire-undercarriage-legs-BRONZE-1-48.html?&force_sid=psit8lqu78nllp7gcj1deekuv24hctpp).

In my Aero Detail 27, Mk. IX has the frontal oleo scissor. In the kit instructions sheet there aren't oleo scissor, no frontal nor aft.

Now the question: Mk. IXc Late had oleo scissor on main landing gear legs?

Thanks for your help!

Ciao!

M

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

Now the question: Mk. IXc Late had oleo scissor on main landing gear legs?

They vary.  We have had threads on Spitfire UC legs.  I don't think there is a simple answer.

see 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234941840-spitfire-legs-warning-picture-heavy/

pics have gone, maybe @Daniel Cox could re-up the relevant images.

There are many small detail variations even on the Mk.IX alone. the link above gives 4 leg types.

"The Struts

Main Undercarriage

Vickers Oleo Pneumatic Type 90273 (splined ram): Spitfire FI, FIIA, FIIB, FVA, FVB, FVB (T), FVI, PRIV, PRVII, PRXI & PRXIII.

Vickers Oleo Pneumatic Type 91244 (splined ram): Spitfire FVA, FVB, FVB (T), FV, FVC (T), FIX, HFIX, LFIX, PRXI & PRXIII.

Vickers Oleo Pneumatic Type 91244/L (torque/torsion link): Spitfire FV, FVC (T), FIX, HFIX, LFIX, FXII, PRXI, & PRXIII.

Vickers Oleo Pneumatic Type 91545 (splined ram): Spitfire FVII, Spitfire FVIII & LFVIII.

Vickers Oleo Pneumatic Type 91776 (forward torque/torsion link): Spitfire F21

Vickers Oleo Pneumatic Type 91901 (aft torque/torsion links): FVA, FVB, FVB (T), FV, FVC (T), FVII, FVIII, LFVIII, HFVIII, FIX, LFIX, FXII, PRXI PRXIII.

Vickers Oleo Pneumatic Type 91986 (forward torque/torsion link): Spitfire FVC, FVC (T), FVII, FVIII, HFVIII, FIX, HFIX, LFIX, FXII, LFXVI,

Vickers Oleo Pneumatic Type 92216:

Vickers Oleo Pneumatic Type 92238"

As with anything like this,  pick a subject, and take it from there.    If you want this kind of accuracy,  pick a well documented subject.

HTH 

• Like 2

Wow! Thanks for reply, Troy!  🤩 To narrow down to a specific plane, I wish to build the Jerry Billing ML135's plane, the "E" variant of the Eduard's kit.

I could try to looking for information starting from ML135 but where can I found a list? I am looking on Aero Detail 27 also, but I haven't found ML135 serial in the list on pg. 73....

It is a strange for me thinking Eduard has been done a mistake like that....🤔

Thanks for all your help, mates!

Ciao!

M

Serial Registers, LF.IX taken on charge 19 March 1944, Category E 1 July 1944.
Online Spitfire histories, 33MU 19-3-44 401S 22-6-44 CE ops 1-7-44

See the films at https://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oocihm.lac_mikan_135766

Hit by flak, crash landed 7 miles south of Carentan, reel 12266 image 207, reel 12265 images 547 and 556

Fighter Command Loses reports F/O G D Billing evaded

2 hours ago, Marvel said:

I wish to build the Jerry Billing ML135's plane, the "E" variant of the Eduard's kit.

I could try to looking for information starting from ML135 but where can I found a list?

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/jerrybillingbs_1.htm

Fascinating story (I just put "Jerry Billing ML135 Spitfire" into google to find this)

http://www.clubhyper.com/images/jerrybillingml135bs_1.jpg

I can't see any torque links,  but  others will likely know what was the usual fitment for an ML*** Spitfire.

You could edit your questions to  "UC leg type for Spitfire ML135. "  or just see what Eduard recommend, 

The Eduard Spitfire is a really good kit, I don't know that it actually needs new UC legs, and it's another Eduard cash cow..... not that I am in anyway cynical :rolleyes:

HTH

T

Thanks for your replies Geoffrey and Troy. Yesterday evening poking in Britmodeller site, I discovered this topic:

On page 4 and 5 Plastix said to get good info about legs via Dreamcatcher. I thoug, maybe I can ask them for info....🤞

Ciao!

M

While the Ministry of Aircraft production does not give Oleo model numbers, it does give wheel and tyre model numbers.

March 1944, Small landing wheels, Dunlop,

A.H. 10019 for Spitfire F.VII, VII, IX, PR.XI, XII, XIV, 21, Seafire F.XV, Hurricane

A.H. 2061 for Spitfire F.I to VI, IX, XI, Seafire IIc, III.

AH. 2184 Tail wheel for Spitfire and Seafire.

Small landing tyres

7.50-10 for Spitfire F.I to VI, IX, PR.XI, Seafire IIc, III.

7.50-10.25 for Spitfire F.VII, VII, IX, PR.XI, XII, XIV, 21, Seafire F.XV (the Hurricane has the 8.00-10.25)

3 X 4 tail wheel for Spitfire, Seafire and Dominie.

The British were also making tyres for most of the major lend lease types in RAF service, but also including the P-47, the Liberator nose tyre was the Lightning main tyre and the Mustang and Harvard main tyres were the Lightning nose tyres.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Geoffrey Sinclair said:

While the Ministry of Aircraft production does not give Oleo model numbers, it does give wheel and tyre model numbers.

March 1944, Small landing wheels, Dunlop,

A.H. 10019 for Spitfire F.VII, VII, IX, PR.XI, XII, XIV, 21, Seafire F.XV, Hurricane

A.H. 2061 for Spitfire F.I to VI, IX, XI, Seafire IIc, III.

AH. 2184 Tail wheel for Spitfire and Seafire.

Small landing tyres

7.50-10 for Spitfire F.I to VI, IX, PR.XI, Seafire IIc, III.

7.50-10.25 for Spitfire F.VII, VII, IX, PR.XI, XII, XIV, 21, Seafire F.XV (the Hurricane has the 8.00-10.25)

3 X 4 tail wheel for Spitfire, Seafire and Dominie.

The British were also making tyres for most of the major lend lease types in RAF service, but also including the P-47, the Liberator nose tyre was the Lightning main tyre and the Mustang and Harvard main tyres were the Lightning nose tyres.

Thaaanks a lot, Geoffrey!! 🙏

Ciao!

M

14 hours ago, Seawinder said:

The scissors links are on all the Eduard Mk. IX family sprues: parts G45

Yes, I saw, Seawinder, but on the instruction sheet, Eduard doesn't consider these parts.... I think they forgot to show the mounting of these items....😏

Ciao!

M

Well, they show the scissors links mounted in the instructions for the Mk. IXe kit, so they're tacitly acknowledging that the links appeared somewhere during Mk. IX production, but leave it up to modelers' specific info for specific planes.

On 01/06/2022 at 19:04, Seawinder said:

Well, they show the scissors links mounted in the instructions for the Mk. IXe kit, so they're tacitly acknowledging that the links appeared somewhere during Mk. IX production, but leave it up to modelers' specific info for specific planes.

Perhaps a note in this regard would have been useful....IMHO

Ciao!

M