Meteorology- names from the weather surprisingly it’s a really big list!! In the bunfight!!!!!

Marklo

5 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

Is there bonus kudos for a contrived double build of car and plane with same name?

Only the honour  and respect of your fellow Britmodellers, both I’d think quite valuable commodities :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Ford Zephyr. Isn’t that a breeze of some kind?

Yes indeed.  I've got an Airfix Zodiac in my stash, but unfortunately the differences from the Zephyr are more significant than I'd thought :(.

It'll just have to be a Westland Whirlwind (either or both), for me then.  Please sign me up :).

• Thanks 1

In the Zephyr car range there would then be (at least) Ford, Mercury and Lincoln :) 

Other cars not listed yet I think:

- Ford Thunderbird / Windstar / Lightning / Hurricane

Maserati Khamsin

- Dodge Stratus

- Plymouth Breeze

- Chrysler Cirrus

- GMC Syclone / Typhoon

- Renault Wind (if that counts as a “car” 😂)

- Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud

- Jeep Hurricane / Tornado

- Isuzu Geo Storm

- MG Maestro (=Mistral)

- Honda Hurricane (CBR bikes)

- VW Vento (jetstream) / Santana

- Toyota Blizzard

- Lister Storm

- Oldsmobile Aurora

- Pontiac Wave / Torrent

- Gemballa Mistrale / Tornado / Aero

- Mitsubishi Nimbus

- Nimbus motorcycles (former Danish motorcycle company “Fisker og Nielsen“)

- Saab Aero

… any snowmobile 😎 

• Thanks 1

On 6/2/2022 at 1:43 AM, vppelt68 said:

Oh! Let's not forget meteorological people's names either!? I think a certain car or plane that can be directly linked with such person should be okay too. Like the 25 kill mount, Bf 109 G-6 MT-439 of

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Wind

Or cars driven by Prince Rainier of Monaco. Wikipedia tells me there were three British admirals whose surnames were Rainier, so how about ships they captained during their careers? There have also been three ships called USS Rainier and an HMS Admiral Rainier.

Another one I just came across is Buran - Russian for Blizzard - so I think a VM-T Atlant with Buran on its back might be high on my list for this GB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/30/2022 at 11:18 PM, theplasticsurgeon said:

Adding Chinook to your list, it's a warm wind off the Rockies, causing an early thaw over the Prairies - but I've just built mine.

Yeah, that's true, except that the CH-47 is named after the American Indian / Native American / First Nations (delete as politically incorrect for your views) tribe, just like every other US military helicopter, not for either the wind or the salmon. To my mind, that renders it ineligible (but it ain't my GB, so I don't really care). 

• Thanks 1

Mitsubishi J2M Raiden (Lightning Bolt, Allied reporting name “Jack”)

Nakajima C6N Saiun (彩雲, "Iridescent Cloud")  “Myrt”

Kawanishi N1K Kyōfū (強風, "Strong Wind", Allied reporting name "Rex")

Kawanishi N1K-J Shiden (紫電, "Violet Lightning", Allied Reporting name “George”)

Kyūshū J7W Shinden (震電, "Magnificent Lightning")

Kawanishi H8K2 Seikū (晴空, "Clear Sky", Allied reporting name “Emily”)

Convair R3Y Tradewind

• Thanks 1

To add to the list :

Convair Tradewind

the other Westland Whirlwind

Caudron Simoun, Typhon, Rafale

And how about vehicles powered by weather engines - there's quite a few. 

Any chance of clouds being included? That would open up some possibilities. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rob G said:

Any chance of clouds being included? That would open up some possibilities. 

Cirrus, cumulus nimbus etc. ( reminds me of Sweden by the Stranglers) Well they would fit the brief, do we need more possibilities??  

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Rob G said:

Yeah, that's true, except that the CH-47 is named after the American Indian / Native American / First Nations (delete as politically incorrect for your views) tribe, just like every other US military helicopter, not for either the wind or the salmon. To my mind, that renders it ineligible (but it ain't my GB, so I don't really care). 

It’s my party ( er GB) so I’m not going to cry but I’m going to rule that Salmon or Native American tribes are ineligible, we’re definitely not short of subjects, drunk with power I’m  now going to start practicing my evil laughs.

Edited by Marklo

• Marklo changed the title to Meteorology- names from the weather surprisingly it’s a really big list!! At 22 and counting.

DSC-0059.jpgputting my money where my mouth is  :) great kit shame about the colour schemes 7 different airforces, all grey... 

Actually I’m half hoping that based on neutrality/ defence discussions ongoing,  I’ll be able to build the kit in Aer Corp colours. Although going by past form we’ll probably buy something cheap and second hand like the ex South African Fouga Magisters… 

Edited by Marklo

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2022 at 9:22 AM, Mjwomack said:

Is there bonus kudos for a contrived double build of car and plane with same name?  Take that as me signing up, despite no real idea of what to build

I'm thinking this would work for a Blitz double, if a little contrived...

One of these

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/roden-725-opel-blitzbus--142769 

has been requisitioned from Essen for the Berlin Olypmics to ferry VIPs to the events. The VIPs having arrived on this

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-04229-heinkel-he-70-g-1-blitz-f-2-170a--103598 

• Like 1