Nakajima Ki-27a "Nate" * Finished *

Roberto

It's a nice kit Roberto - made one about a year ago though mine may be the Ki-27b.

DSC05558-crop

I seem to remember that the engine and cowling assembly was a bit tricky but nowhere near as bad as their Polikarpov I-16 kit. This is a link to my build which may highlight the few problems I had.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Hi Roberto,

Yes the ICM instructions can be rather vague. Fortunately I have a few books on the subject - a pretty good one by Kagero together with an Aircam one and a Bunrin Do one, and although I cannot translate Japanese the pics can be useful and there are plenty of colour schemes shown. For Japanese planes the Maru Mechanic "Mechanism of Military Aircraft" series are particularly useful as they normally give exploded views of things - details of guns, engine, undercarriage, wheel sizes etc which are great for the modeller but I don't have one of theirs on the Ki-27 unfortunately. If you get stuck give me a PM and I will see what I can find.

Pete

• Thanks 1

Hi Roberto

I found it better in some respects to glue the engine parts together before painting so that I could actually see the indistinct locating marks, unlike on my I-16 where I really struggled to get them together. Of course the downside of that is having to paint them later which can be a little tricky. However the assembly on the Nate is not quite as ruddy complicated as the other ICM kit. On the plus side then there is not much visible once the cowling is on, as the collecting ring or whatever it is covers nearly all of the front.

Pete

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

Hi Roberto

I found it better in some respects to glue the engine parts together before painting...

Pete

Hi Pete.

The only chance I have to get this kit done is to try to do what you said 🙂

I will look around for the I-16's  instructions, they must be really interesting 😄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Roberto said:

I will look around for the I-16's  instructions, they must be really interesting 😄

Hi Roberto,

The engine was bad enough but the exhausts and the multipart cowling were a PITTA!

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/6/1/5/184615-60-instructions.pdf

Pete

• Like 1

When I built my ICM I-16 I left the engine out completely, with the front cowl on nothing can be seen anyway.  The engine made a very nice stand alone model displayed separately.

AW

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi Roberto,

Looking good so far. Take a little time checking the alignment of the guns which sit on the cockpit floor in front of and to either side of the seat - the muzzles should just reach the engine rear bulkhead but as I recall they do not actually go through the holes as such though I may have got that wrong. At least one book I have says they fired between the upper cylinders of the engine as you might reasonably expect, but in fact they fired between the lower cylinders!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

Nice to have you along Roberto and with a great wee plane to.

It looks to be a nice model and well detailed.....even if the detail bits are a bit of a pain to assemble!! I have recently started building my first ICM produced model, they are really nice models to build, but can be fiddly and instructions a bit vague!

But you look to have it all in hand and made a great start.

Good luck with the build.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope you get well soon Roberto.  My wife and daughter currently have it, my wife has only a heavy cold like symptoms but my daughter has been sicker.  When I had it about 6 weeks ago all I had was a sore throat for about 4 days.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately Covid seems to still be knocking people around, hopefully you well on the mend.

Great to see this still progressing. :thumbsup:

But there is no need to rush her for a deadline and ruin a great looking model.

• Thanks 1

Here it is, too late for the gallery, but at least I saved it from the Shelf of Doom 🙂

I really want to thank our Hosts and all the mates, this one has been a great, lovely and interesting GB!!!

Ki-27-IMG-0950.jpg

Ki-27-IMG-0952.jpg

Ki-27-IMG-0953.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Roberto changed the title to Nakajima Ki-27a "Nate" * Finished *